Even though we are almost at the end of the summer season, chefs are still moving between restaurants, a number of chef changes having taken place at the end of February. This list of restaurant openings and closings and restaurant staff movements is updated continuously, as we receive new information:
* Italian restaurant Palma has opened on Bree Street (photograph)
* Bacon on Bree has opened at 217 Bree Street, a bacon-inspired restaurant by charcuterier Richard Bosman and his wife Justine Seymour.
* Culture Club cheese and wine shop has opened at 215 Bree Street, its owner previously having been the GM of La Fromagerie on Marylebone High Street in London!
* The Butcher Shop & Grill has opened next to Sotano in Mouille Point.
* Baked in the Wood is to open on Bree Street, offering craft beer and tapas, owned by Zahir Mohamed of Baked Bistro.
* Honest Chocolate Café has opened next door to its original shop on Wale Street.
* Tasha’s has opened in Canal Walk
* Localé Cocktail & Pincho Bar has opened in Mowbray, as a joint venture between Baked Bistro and Starlings Café.
* Crisp in Franschhoek has added a kitchen, to serve light meals and coffee.
* popupitalian has opened in Sea Point by Chef Giancarlo Peroni
* Snob Food is to open.
* Kleinsky’s Delicatessen has opened on Regent Road in Sea Point.
* Blacksmith’s Kitchen has opened in Paarl.
* Boschendal Farm Werf Restaurant has opened
* Homespun has opened in Table View.
* Chardonnay Deli has opened in Constantia.
* Mejaune Interior, Lifestyle, and Eatery has opened in Somerset West.
* Quaglinos has opened in Mouille Point.
* Inside and You’re Out Burgers has opened in the Cape Town city centre.
* Lanique Bistro & Bar at Andiamo in De Waterkant has closed down.
* Polana in Kalk Bay has closed down, and now is the smoking section of Harbour House Kalk Bay.
* Giancarlo’s Italian Deli has closed down on Bree Street.
* La Masseria in Stellenbosch has closed.
* Peter’s House opposite Power & Glory has closed down.
* The restaurant on Top of The Ritz has closed down.
* Morgenster is still working on its new Café, Deli, and accommodation.
* Fyndraai has moved into a new restaurant building on Solms-Delta, the former restaurant venue to become the tasting room.
* Pesce Azzurro has opened in the former Don Pedro in Woodstock.
* La Parada is opening in part of the former Constantia Nek restaurant building, with former Michelin-star restaurants El Bulli and Tickets Chef Andres Condé opening a restaurant in the same building.
* Jamie’s Italian is opening in the V&A Waterfront, when the Sevruga lease expires, Chef Jamie Oliver already having restaurants in Canada, Australia, Dubai, Ireland, Hong Kong, Russia, Singapore, and Turkey.
* The management of Tokara has taken over Tokara DeliCATessen, renamed TOKARA Deli.
* The Executive Club at the Westin Cape Town has changed its name to On 19. Chris Maree is the new chef, previously at the Twelve Apostles Hotel & Spa.*
* Taste restaurant has moved to Bright Street in Somerset West.*
* Bertus Basson at Spice Route has opened as a ‘modern South African restaurant‘ at Spice Route, the kitchen run by Chef Alistaire Lawrence, previously from Roots and Overture.
* The Peregrine Farmstall restaurant has re-opened after an extensive rebuild after a fire last year.
* Plant Café has moved from Bo-Kaap to Loop Street.
* Tribakery on Bree Street has changed its name to B @ 1
* Johann’s Dining Room has opened at Orphanage Cocktail Emporium, with Chef Johann Breedt.
* Biga Café, Bakery, and Deli has opened where Season used to be in Hermanus.
* Villa Mia has opened in the Cape Quarter.
* Con Brio Bistro has opened in Vredehoek.
* Vicky Cristina’s tapas bar y restaurante espanol has opened in Camps Bay, where Café Sofia used to be.
* The Lucky Fish on Long Street is being transformed into Tiger’s Milk.
* Keenwä has To Let signs on its building. In a Tweet intercourse today, they said there is a third option to closing or moving mid-July!
* Batavia Café has opened on Rose Street, where Haas operated previously.
Chef and Restaurant staff changes
* Chef Henrico Grobbelaar has left Equus at Cavalli Estate, and his position has been taken over by Chef Hilton Espey.
* Chef Vanessa Marx has left Dear Me, relocating to the Eastern Cape. The White Room Tasting Menu will not continue after her departure.
* Chef Constantijn Hahndiek from OSA Restaurant at Fairmont Zimbali has moved to Hartford House.
* Chef Lauren Case has left Mondiall to move to Bocca. Chef Riaan Burger has taken over from her.
* Chef Zane Grobler has left Grande Provence, and moved to Ryan’s Kitchen, but has left to move to Port Elizabeth.
* Chef Edmore Ruzoza has taken over the kitchen at The Red Table Restaurant at Nederburg.
* Chef Jackie Cameron opens the Jackie Cameron School of Food and Wine in Hilton.
* Chef Michael Cooke from La Colombe has joined Camphors at Vergelegen as Executive Chef, taking over from PJ Vadas.
* Chef Gary Richardson has left Stables at Vergelegen, opening his own restaurant Graze in Harfield Village.
* Chef Stefan Danz of Babylonstoren joined Stables at Vergelegen as Executive Chef, but left after a month. Chef Darryn Shinners now heads up the Stables kitchen.
* Chef Christiaan Campbell of Delaire Graff has moved to Boschendal. His replacement is Michael Dig, a chef who worked with Chef Christiaan.
* Chef Charl Coetzee has joined Eight at Spier.
* Allée Bleue Bistro has appointed Beau du Toit as chef.
* Chef Germaine Esau has moved from Delaire Graff to Makaron at Majeka House.
* Chef Ryan Brand has left The Banting Kitchen, and now is Executive Chef for the Kauai Group.
* Chef Ryan Cole from Pierneef à La Motte has moved to The Test Kitchen.
* Chef Dane Newton is leaving Warwick Wine Estate on 31 March, moving to Hermanus.
* The Ultimate Braai Master Champions for 2014, Yusuf Sujee and Stephen Mandos, have taken over as chefs at La Vierge in Hermanus.
* Chef Ryan Brown from Truffles has moved to Dale’s Black Angus Grill, and subsequently moved to Driftwood Café.
* Twelve Apostles Hotel & Spa Food & Beverage Manager Gavin Ferreira has been promoted to Deputy GM of the hotel, but retains his food and beverage responsibilities.
We welcome all restaurant news – please e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org