The black-tie gala dinner for ‘Chefs who Share – the Art of giving‘ will be held for the third time this year, once again in the City Hall in Cape Town, on 10 September. What is an exciting development is that a Young Chef Award will go to a talented young chef from our country.
The new Young Chef Award will invite entries for canapés for the Gala Dinner, and seven finalists will be chosen, all attending the Gala Dinner and cooking alongside top local chefs. The Young Chef Award winner will win a trip to work in the kitchen of a Michelin star Chef in Europe. Food consultant and chef Tracey Younghusband will mentor the Young Chef Award.
The media release received from Opulent Living is scant in details, but it does indicate that 14 chefs, working in seven pairs of two top chefs, and matched with a sommelier per team, will be cooking for and serving three tables of twelve guests each, a total of 252 seats. The names of the chefs and sommeliers have not yet been announced*. This year international chefs will not participate in the event, as they did last year.
Ticket prices remain at R3000, and the full amount of monies raised will be donated to two charities, being MAD (Make a Difference) and the Laureus Foundation of SA, due to the generous support and prime sponsorship of Mercedes-Benz, supplemented by associate sponsorship from Deutsche Bank, Swiss International Air Lines AG, and Bulgari. Income via ticket sales is supplemented with the sale of outstanding art via auction of the Gala Dinner evening. Masters of Ceremonies will be Gerry Elsdon and Jeremy Mansfield again, while artful auctioneer Iain Banner will host the auction again. A total of R3,7 million has been raised in total in the past two years. Last year the Gala Dinner event was sold out within hours of the date and chef details having been announced.
POSTSCRIPT 13/5: The Chef and Sommelier ‘pairings’ have been announced*:
* Chefs Christo Pretorius from the Twelve Apostles Hotel & Spa and Virgil Khan from Indochine at Delaire Graff, and Sommelier Gregory Mutambe from the Twelve Apostles.
* Chefs Malika van Reenen of Signal Restaurant at the Cape Grace and Gregory Czarnecki of Waterkloof, and Sommelier Neil Grant of Burrata and Bocca.
* Chefs Rudi Liebenberg of Planet Restaurant at Belmond Mount Nelson and Marthinus Ferreira of DW Eleven-13, and Sommelier Pearl Oliver at the Belmond Mount Nelson.
* Chefs Michelle Theron of Pierneef à La Motte and Bertus Basson of Overture, and Sommelier Manuel Cabello of Ellerman House.
* Chefs Garth Almazan of Catharina’s at Steenberg and Darren Badenhorst from Grande Provence, and Sommelier Higgo Jacobs.
* Chefs Scott Kirton of La Colombe and Chef Chantel Dartnall of Restaurant Mosaic, and Sommelier Germain Lehodey of Restaurant Mosaic
* Chefs Chris Erasmus of Foliage and Jürgen Schneider of Springfontein Eats, and Sommelier Joakim Blackadder of Vinovation.
Chefs who Share – The ART of Giving, Opulent Living, Cape Town. 10 September 2015. Tel (021) 433-1699. www.chefswhoshare.com Twitter: @ChefswhoShare Book: email@example.com