It is unbelievable that the Government is keeping Restaurants, Bars, Shebeens, and Taverns in the dark as to the reopening date, as well as the regulations which will determine under which conditions Restaurants may welcome back diners for Sit-Down Service, as announced by President Cyril Ramaphosa over a week ago. If restaurants are to reopen on 1 July, as is assumed, it gives them less than a week to set up after a three-month closure due to Lockdown Levels 5 and 4.
To date the Government has only announced one detail regarding Restaurants, Bars, Shebeens, and Taverns, via a Tweet from its Information Service, announcing that under current Level 3 regulations the consumption of alcohol in these establishments is prohibited.
At midnight last night the Restaurant Association of South Africa sent a What’s App to its mailing list, indicating that a Government meeting regarding the Restaurant reopening protocols and regulations will only take place tomorrow afternoon. That leaves restaurants with only five days to get ready for reopening, if it is assumed that the regulations will be announced on the same day or evening!
In the mean time the Restaurant Collective, a collection of restaurants which includes Tasha’s, Signature Restaurants, Ocean Basket, and Doppio Zero, has prepared a step by step guideline entitled ‘How to open your restaurant’:
1. Do your admin, in creating a Health & Safety file.
2. Reduced Menu, with fewer items, with items that sell well, preferably touchless
3. Social Media
4. Chemical Supplies, for Personal Protective Equipment, masks, sanitizers and disinfectants
5. Staff: decide which to call back to work, and briefing
6. Staffing and Scheduling: it is advised to set up two teams, in case of a team member contracting the Virus
7. Staff Training: Focus on the new menu, new guest experience, and Covid-19 protocols
Chris von Ulmenstein, WhaleTales Blog: www.chrisvonulmenstein.com/blog Tel +27 082 55 11 323 Twitter:@Ulmenstein Facebook: Chris von Ulmenstein Instagram: @Chrissy_Ulmenstein