Winter has set in, and the rate of new restaurant openings has almost ground to a halt, as has the move of chefs between restaurants. This list of restaurant openings and closings and restaurant staff movements is updated continuously, as we receive new information:
* Michael Townsend of the Harbour House Group is planning to open two new restaurants on the Muizenberg beachfront: a 160-seater Live Bait, and Howlin’ Wolf, a burger and beer quick service restaurant.
* Bertus Basson at Spice Route has opened as a ‘modern South African restaurant‘ at Spice Route, the kitchen run by Chef Alistair Lawrence, previously from Roots and Overture.
* Bacon on Bree has opened at 217 Bree Street, a bacon-inspired restaurant by charcuterier Richard Bosman and his wife Justine Seymour.
* Culture Club Cheese and wine shop has opened at 215 Bree Street, its owner previously having been the GM of La Fromagerie on Marylebone High Street in London!
* Baked in the Wood is to open on Bree Street, offering craft beer and tapas, owned by Zahir Mohamed of Baked Bistro.
* Kleinsky’s Delicatessen has opened on Regent Road in Sea Point.
* Blacksmith’s Kitchen has opened in Paarl.
* Boschendal Farm Werf Restaurant has opened
* Homespun has opened in Table View.
* Mejaune Interior, Lifestyle, and Eatery has opened in Somerset West.
* Inside and You’re Out Burgers has opened in the Cape Town city centre.
* Max Bagels has opened on Bree Street.
* MasterChef SA Season 3 winner Roxi Wardman is opening Spoonful Eatery in Windermere Centre in Durban.
* Chef Cheyne Morrisby is to open Lucky Boa and Asian Shake Bar in Hout Bay.
* Loaves on Long has opened on Long Street.
* Imibala Restaurant has opened on Bright Street in Somerset West, with Chef Nicole Dupper at the helm.
* Chef PJ Vadas is to open The Hog House on The Werf craft Bakery and Café at Spier in October.
* Chef Luke Dale-Roberts is to open Naturalis, an ‘incubation hub’ and venue for occasional dinners and events.
* Ou Meul Bakery has opened in Welgemoed.
* Vida e Caffe is opening Torrador at Cape Gate.
* Hudsons is opening a burger restaurant in Stellenbosch.
* Peter’s House opposite Power & Glory has closed down.
* The restaurant on Top of The Ritz has closed down.
* Mano A Mano has closed down.
* Thornton Wines Gastro Bar has closed down.
* Ile de Pain on Thesen Island in Knysna has burnt down.
* The Grill Room in Franschhoek has closed down on the main road, to make way for new developments. It is said to be re-opening in the former Allora building.
* The Banting Kitchen at Cape Royale Luxury Hotel has closed down.
* Morgenster is still working on its new Café, Deli, and accommodation.
* Pesce Azzurro has opened in the former Don Pedro in Woodstock.
* La Parada is opening in part of the former Constantia Nek restaurant building, with former Michelin-star restaurants El Bulli and Tickets Chef Andres Condé opening a restaurant in the same building.
* Taste Bistro has moved to Bright Street in Somerset West.
* Villa Mia has opened in the Cape Quarter.
* Vicky Cristina’s tapas bar y restaurante espanol has opened in Camps Bay, where Café Sofia used to be.
* The Lucky Fish on Long Street is being transformed into Tiger’s Milk.
* Keenwä has To Let signs on its building. In a Tweet intercourse, they said there is a third option to closing or moving mid-July!
* Batavia Café has opened on Rose Street, where Haas operated previously.
* Jerry’s Burgers has opened where Mano A Mano operated in Park Road.
* The Creamery is expanding the size of its Newlands outlet and opening in Mouille Point.
* Nineteen Sixty One Grill has opened where Salzburger Grill operated on St John’s Road in Sea Point.
* Rustica has opened at Cape Royale Luxury Hotel, where The Banting Kitchen operated.
* Tribakery in Canal Walk has a new owner, and its name is to be changed.
* Chef Jason Whitehead has sold Frère’s Bistro to new owner Barry Owen, continuing to operate with the existing staff, and retaining its name. Chef Jason will offer a Restaurant Consulting service.
* Nigel Pace and Sarah Ord will open The Stack in July, in the former Leinster Hall.
* De Warenmarkt is to open in Stellenbosch, where the Cape Town Fish Market used to be.
Chef and Restaurant staff changes
* Chef Constantijn Hahndiek from OSA Restaurant at Fairmont Zimbali has moved to Hartford House.
* Chef Lauren Case has left Mondiall to move to Bocca. Chef Riaan Burger has taken over from her at Mondiall.
* Chef Jackie Cameron has opened the Jackie Cameron School of Food and Wine in Hilton.
* Chef Gary Richardson (ex-Stables at Vergelegen) has opened his own restaurant Graze in Harfield Village.
* Allée Bleue Bistro has appointed Beau du Toit as chef.
* Chef Ryan Cole from Pierneef à La Motte has moved to The Test Kitchen.
* Chef Dane Newton has left Warwick Wine Estate, moving to Hermanus.
* The Ultimate Braai Master Champions for 2014, Yusuf Sujee and Stephen Mandos, have taken over as chefs at La Vierge in Hermanus.
* Chef Ryan Brown from Truffles has moved to Dale’s Black Angus Grill, and subsequently moved to Driftwood Café.
* Chef Chris Papayannes has joined Chalk & Cork.
* Chef Adrian Boll is the new Chef at Wild Peacock.
* Pastry Chef Christine de Villiers from Le Quartier Français has moved to Open Door.
* Lee-Ann du Plessis has been appointed as Head Chef of Dornier Bodega Restaurant.
* Adele Grewar has been appointed as Head Chef at Overture.
* Vicky Gurovich has been appointed as Senior Sous Chef (Pastry) at Pierneef à La Motte. She previously worked at the Belmond Mount Nelson.
* Chef Kevin Grobler has joined Jan Restaurant in Nice, from Delaire Graff Restaurant.
* Chef Julia Hattingh has left Holden Manz.
We welcome all restaurant news – please e-mail us at email@example.com