Even though we are halfway through the summer season, new restaurants continue to open, and more are planned before summer ends. This list of restaurant openings and closings and restaurant staff movements is updated continuously, as we receive new information:
* Michael Townsend (who owns the Harbour House emporium, with La Parada, Lucky Fish, and Harbour House restaurants) has opened Tiger’s Milk in Muizenberg (photograph). The Lucky Fish on Long Street will be transformed into Tiger’s Milk.
* Kokkedoor judge and Chef Nic van Wyk and Roxy Laker have opened bistro 13 at Stellenbosch Vineyards (Welmoed)
* Idiom Wines is said to be opening a restaurant.
* The Butcher Shop & Grill has opened next to Sotano in Mouille Point.
* Hard Rock Café has returned to South Africa, and has opened the first of four branches on Mandela Square in Johannesburg. Branches in Cape Town, Pretoria, and Durban are planned.
* NV-80 has opened in the Checkers building in Sea Point.
* Baked in the Wood is to open on Bree Street, offering craft beer and tapas, owned by Zahir Mohamed of Baked Bistro.
* Thornton Whites Gastro Bar has opened
* DeKapo has opened as a Halaal restaurant in Mouille Point
* Flames and View have opened in the Four Seasons Hotel The Westcliff in Johannesburg, with Chef Dirk Gieselmann, previously of 3 Michelin star Auberge de I’ll in France.
* Yo Meatball has opened on Roeland Street
* Chef Craig Cormack has opened a Pop-Up Pizza & Pasta Restaurant next to the Allée Bleue’s winetasting centre, open until end September.
* CreATE Inspirational Café has opened in Stellenbosch.
* Honest Chocolate Café has opened next door to its original shop on Wale Street.
* Brandon of the Caveau Crew is opening The Lady Ava in Mouille Point!
* Tasha’s has opened in Canal Walk
* Localé Cocktail & Pincho Bar has opened in Mowbray, as a joint venture between Baked Bistro and Starlings Café
* The Whale Garden has opened as an outdoor coffee bar in Hermanus.
* Italian restaurant Palma has opened on Bree Street
* Crisp in Franschhoek is adding a kitchen, to serve light meals and coffee.
* Chef Thomas Sinn has opened Rivendell Restaurant on Rivendell wine estate, on the road between Bot River and Hermanus. He has been a past Eat Out Top 10 Restaurant owner (The Blue Danube), opened Buitenverwachting restaurant, and owned Sinn’s, now having closed all his Cape Town restaurants.
* popupitalian has opened in Sea Point by Chef Giancarlo Peroni
* Mother’s Ruin Gin Bar has opened on Bree Street.
* Snob Food is to open on Bree Street in March
* Kleinsky’s Delicatessen has opened on Regent Road in Sea Point.
* Blacksmith’s Kitchen has opened in Paarl.
* Boschendal Farm Werf Restaurant will open at the end of February
* Homespun has opened in Table View.
* Casparaus has closed down in Stellenbosch
* Lanique Bistro & Bar in De Waterkant has closed down.
* Polana in Kalk Bay has closed down, and now is the smoking section of Harbour House Kalk Bay.
* Addictions in Sea Point looks very closed, with a chain at the front door, and a notice inside stating that it is under construction, but there is no construction work visible in the tiny space.
* Giancarlo’s Italian Deli has closed down on Bree Street.
* La Masseria in Stellenbosch has closed with immediate effect.
Restaurant chef/staff/venue changes
* Morgenster is planning a new restaurant, a Café, a Deli, and accommodation, a project which is still in development phase, but is planned to roll out this year.
* Fyndraai has moved into a new restaurant building on Solms-Delta, making space for the current restaurant venue to become the tasting room. The restaurant building was previously a stable, and is next to the new Music van de Caab building.
* Fisherman’s Catch in Franschhoek has closed, after re-opening twice last year. It had a new sign West Coast Farm Stall and Coffee Shoppe, but that has also been taken down. Its new signage is The White House, and a coffee shop/restaurant inside, called Aptyt! It also sells Addictions (ice cream shop brand in Cape Town)!
* Chef Andres Condé, formerly from elBulli and Tickets Michelin-star restaurants, has joined the Harbour House Group. He will eventually open a fine dining restaurant in the Constantia Nek restaurant building
* Pesce Azzurro has opened in the former Don Pedro in Woodstock.
* Carne Bistro has opened on Kloof Street, where Caffe Milano was, and another Carne has opened in Wynberg.
* Mange Tout at Mont Rochelle in Franschhoek has re-opened, and has been renamed Miko.
* Chef Jackie Cameron has left Hartford House, and opens the Jackie Cameron School of Food and Wine in Hilton.
* La Colombe has moved out of Constantia Uitsig, and has re-opened at Silvermist in Hout Bay.
* Chef PJ Vadas has left Camphors at Vergelegen, to open his own restaurant and brewery The Hog House in Cape Town. The brewery will operate from Ndabeni, near Merrypak.
* La Parada is opening in part of the former Constantia Nek restaurant building
* Umi restaurant in Camps Bay has been halved in size, and La Belle Café has opened in the other half. It is a sister restaurant to the one based in The Alphen, also being part of the Kovensky Group.
* Jamie’s Italian is opening in the V&A Waterfront, when the Sevruga lease expires, Chef Jamie Oliver already having restaurants in Canada, Australia, Dubai, Ireland, Hong Kong, Russia, Singapore, and Turkey.
* The Daily Deli in Tamboerskloof has changed owners, and changed its name to The Blue Café.
* Burgundy in Hermanus has been sold to Willem and Estie Steyn, who in turn have sold Savannah. They also own @Food and Wine in Hermanus.
* Khuselo Mputa has left Aubergine, and now is at Grande Provence as Sommelier and Restaurant Manager.
* Chef Michael Cooke from La Colombe has joined Camphors at Vergelegen as Executive Chef, taking over from PJ Vadas.
* Chef Gary Richardson has left Stables at Vergelegen, opening his own restaurant Graze in Harfield Village.
* Chef Stefan Danz of Babylonstoren joined Stables at Vergelegen as Executive Chef, and left after a month. Chef Darryn Shinners now heads up the Stables kitchen.
* The management of Tokara has taken over Tokara DeliCATessen, renamed TOKARA Deli. Open from Tuesday – Sunday for breakfast and lunch, and on Friday and Saturday evenings for pizzas,burgers, and craft beer.
* Maison has opened a Deli offering Tapas dishes to pair with its winetasting in October.
* Ashley Moss is the new Head Chef at The Greenhouse.
* The Salmon Bar in Franschhoek has been sold again, to a very friendly David MacGinty.
* Chef Christiaan Campbell of Delaire Graff has moved to Boschendal. His replacement is Michael Dig, a chef who worked with Chef Christiaan.
* Chef Brad Ball of Bistro Sixteen82 has left, moving to Pedlars on the Bend. Kelly Kilpin is the new chef at Bistro Sixtn82.
* The Executive Club at the Westin Cape Town has changed its name to On 19. Chris Maree is the new chef, previously at the Twelve Apostles Hotel & Spa.
* Chef Oliver Cattermole has left Mondiall and joined The Leeu Collection. Chef Lauren Case is now running the Mondiall kitchen. Mondiall Sous Chef Jodey Carlous has also left, joining the Zingara Group.
* Chef Marile van Niekerk has left Craft Wheat & Hops to join LUST Bakery & Bistro at Vrede en Lust as Head Chef.
* Chris Papayannes, previous Restaurant Manager and Sommelier at The Restaurant at Newton Johnson, has been appointed as Executive Sous Chef at Zevenwacht.
* Chef Charl Coetzee has joined Eight at Spier.
* Taste restaurant has moved to Bright Street in Somerset West.
* Chef Germaine Esau has moved from Delaire Graff to Makaron at Majeka House.
* Charcutier Steve Jeffery is running the Blaauwklippen Bistro.
* Notorious Chef Conrad Gallagher, has re-opened Café Chic in Breda Street.
* Allée Bleue Bistro has appointed Beau du Toit as new chef.
* Bertus Basson at Spice Route will open as a family restaurant on the wine estate, taking over the Spice Route restaurant, on 31 January, the kitchen to be run by Chef Allistaire Lawrence, previously from Roots.
* Chef Ryan Brand has left The Banting Kitchen, and now is Executive Chef for the Kauai Group.
* The Peregrine Farmstall restaurant has re-opened after an extensive rebuild after a fire last year.
* Kauai has opened its 150th outlet, in the V&A Waterfront. Its current outlet in the V&A will close in February.
* The Bedouin Deli has moved from Woodstock to the Cape Quarter.
* Co-shareholders and founders Patrick and Andrea Moreau have left Cassis.
* Bootlegger Coffee Company has taken over the space of Voila, ex Salt, opposite the Ambassador Hotel in Bantry Bay.
* McDonald’s has opened on Main Road in Sea Point.
* Chef Ryan Cole from Pierneef à La Motte is moving to The Test Kitchen at the end of January.
* Plant Café has moved from Bo-Kaap to Loop Street.
* Tribakery on Bree Street has changed its name to B @ 1
* Johann’s Dining Room has opened at Orphanage Cocktail Emporium, with Chef Johann Breedt, formerly from The Taj, Shimmy Beach Club, and The Westin.
* Brent Kuttschreuter’s ‘GM Consultant Contract‘ at Mondiall has ended.
* Le Quartier Français’ association with Relais & Chateaux has ended.
* Chef Dane Newton is leaving Warwick Wine Estate on 31 March, moving to Hermanus.
* The Ultimate Braai Master Champions for 2014, Yusuf Sujee and Stephen Mandos, have taken over as chefs at La Vierge in Hermanus.
* Biga Café, Bakery, and Deli has opened where Season used to be in Hermanus.
* Chef Ryan Brown from Truffles has moved to Dale’s Black Angus Grill. He has now moved to Driftwood Café
* Chef Duncan Doherty is now running The Flagship in Simonstown, which belonged to the late Chef Bruce Robertson.
* Villa Mia has opened in the Cape Quarter.
* Chef Zane Pelser has left Grande Provence, and moved to Ryan’s Kitchen.
* Chef Edmore Ruzoza has taken over the kitchen at The Red Table at Nederburg.
* Chef Henrico Grobbelaar is leaving Equus at Cavalli Estate, and his position will be taken over by Chef Hilton Espey.
* Chef Vanessa Marx is leaving Dear Me at the end of the month, relocating to another city. The White Room Tasting Menu will not continue after her departure.
* Con Brio Bistro has opened in Vredehoek.
* Vicky Cristina’s tapas bar y restaurante espanol is opening in Camps Bay, where Café Sofia used to be.
* Chef Constantijn Hahndiek from OSA Restaurant at Fairmont Zimbali is moving to Hartford House in March.
* Chef Lauren Case is leaving Mondiall to move to Bocca. Chef Riaan Burger has taken over from her.
We welcome all restaurant news – please e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org