Winter is on the way, and the rate of new restaurant openings has slowed down dramatically, as has the move of chefs between restaurants, which was dramatic in 2014. This list of restaurant openings and closings and restaurant staff movements is updated continuously, as we receive new information:
* Bertus Basson at Spice Route has opened as a ‘modern South African restaurant‘ at Spice Route, the kitchen run by Chef Alistair Lawrence, previously from Roots and Overture (photograph).
* Bacon on Bree has opened at 217 Bree Street, a bacon-inspired restaurant by charcuterier Richard Bosman and his wife Justine Seymour.
* Culture Club cheese and wine shop has opened at 215 Bree Street, its owner previously having been the GM of La Fromagerie on Marylebone High Street in London!
* Baked in the Wood is to open on Bree Street, offering craft beer and tapas, owned by Zahir Mohamed of Baked Bistro.
* Honest Chocolate Café has opened next door to its original shop on Wale Street.
* popupitalian has opened in Sea Point by Chef Giancarlo Peroni
* Snob Food is to open.
* Kleinsky’s Delicatessen has opened on Regent Road in Sea Point.
* Blacksmith’s Kitchen has opened in Paarl.
* Boschendal Farm Werf Restaurant has opened
* Homespun has opened in Table View.
* Chardonnay Deli has opened in Constantia.
* Mejaune Interior, Lifestyle, and Eatery has opened in Somerset West.
* Quaglinos has opened in Mouille Point.
* Inside and You’re Out Burgers has opened in the Cape Town city centre.
* Max Bagels has opened on Bree Street.
* MasterChef SA Season 3 winner Roxi Wardman is opening Spoonful Eatery in Windermere Centre in Durban in June.
* Chef Cheyne Morrisby is to open Lucky Boa and Asian Shake Bar in Hout Bay.
* Loaves on Long opens on Long Street at the end of May.
* Imibala Rstaurant has opened on Bright Street in Somerset West, with Chef Nicole Dupper at the helm.
* Chef PJ Vadas is to open The Hog House on The Werf craft Bakery and Café at Spier in October.
* Chef Luke Dale-Roberts is to open Naturalis, an ‘incubation hub’ and venue for occasional dinners and events.
* Ou Meul Bekkery has opened in Welgemoed.
* Michael Townsend is planning to open two new restaurants on the Muizenberg beachfront: a 160-seater Live Bait, and Howlin’ Wolf, a burger and beer quick service restaurant.
* Vida e Caffe is opening Torrador at Cape Gate.
* Hudsons is opening a burger restaurant in Stellenbosch.
* Lanique Bistro & Bar at Andiamo in De Waterkant has closed down.
* Peter’s House opposite Power & Glory has closed down.
* The restaurant on Top of The Ritz has closed down.
* Mano A Mano has closed down.
* Thornton Wines Gastro Bar has closed down.
* Ile de Pain on Thesen Island in Knysna has burnt down.
* The Grill Room in Franschhoek has closed down, to make way for new developments.
* The Banting Kitchen at Cape Royale Luxury Hotel has closed down.
* Morgenster is still working on its new Café, Deli, and accommodation.
* Pesce Azzurro has opened in the former Don Pedro in Woodstock.
* La Parada is opening in part of the former Constantia Nek restaurant building, with former Michelin-star restaurants El Bulli and Tickets Chef Andres Condé opening a restaurant in the same building.
* Taste Bistro has moved to Bright Street in Somerset West.
* Biga Café, Bakery, and Deli has opened where Season used to be in Hermanus.
* Villa Mia has opened in the Cape Quarter.
* Vicky Cristina’s tapas bar y restaurante espanol has opened in Camps Bay, where Café Sofia used to be.
* The Lucky Fish on Long Street is being transformed into Tiger’s Milk.
* Keenwä has To Let signs on its building. In a Tweet intercourse, they said there is a third option to closing or moving mid-July!
* Batavia Café has opened on Rose Street, where Haas operated previously.
* Jerry’s Burgers is opening where Mano A Mano operated in Park Road.
* The Creamery is expanding its Newlands outlet and opening in Mouille Point.
* Nineteen Sixty One Grill has opened where Salzburger Grill operated on St John’s Road in Sea Point.
* Rustica has opened at Cape Royale Luxury Hotel, where The Banting Kitchen operated.
* Tribakery in Canal Walk has a new owner, and its name is to be changed.
Chef and Restaurant staff changes
* Chef Henrico Grobbelaar has left Equus at Cavalli Estate, and his position has been taken over by Chef Hilton Espey.
* Chef Vanessa Marx has left Dear Me, relocating to the Eastern Cape. The White Room Tasting Menu will not continue.
* Chef Constantijn Hahndiek from OSA Restaurant at Fairmont Zimbali has moved to Hartford House.
* Chef Lauren Case has left Mondiall to move to Bocca. Chef Riaan Burger has taken over from her at Mondiall.
* Chef Jackie Cameron has opened the Jackie Cameron School of Food and Wine in Hilton.
* Chef Gary Richardson (ex-Stables at Vergelegen) has opened his own restaurant Graze in Harfield Village.
* Allée Bleue Bistro has appointed Beau du Toit as chef.
* Chef Ryan Cole from Pierneef à La Motte has moved to The Test Kitchen.
* Chef Dane Newton has left Warwick Wine Estate, moving to Hermanus.
* The Ultimate Braai Master Champions for 2014, Yusuf Sujee and Stephen Mandos, have taken over as chefs at La Vierge in Hermanus.
* Chef Ryan Brown from Truffles has moved to Dale’s Black Angus Grill, and subsequently moved to Driftwood Café.
* Twelve Apostles Hotel & Spa Food & Beverage Manager Gavin Ferreira has been promoted to Deputy GM of the hotel, but retains his food and beverage responsibilities.
* Chef Chris Papayannes has joined Chalk & Cork.
* Chef Adrian Boll is the new Chef at Wild Peacock.
* Pastry Chef Christine de Villiers from Le Quartier Français has moved to Open Door, the new restaurant about to open at Constantia Uitsig.
* Lee-Ann du Plessis has been appointed as Head Chef of Dornier Bodega Restaurant.
* Adele Grewar has been appointed as Head Chef at Overture.
* Vicky Gurovich has been appointed as Senior Sous Chef (Pastry) at Pierneef à La Motte. She previously worked at the Belmond Mount Nelson.
We welcome all restaurant news – please e-mail us at email@example.com