* South Africa has 38 organic and 10 biodynamic wine producers.
* ‘The Beautiful South’ tasting of South African, Chilean, and Argentinian wines was so successful with over 1000 visitors earlier this month, that it will be held in London again on 10 and 11 September 2014. The three countries’ wines will also be featured at Prowein 2014.
* A municipal strike is due to start in Cape Town from tomorrow (Monday 23 September).
* Snow fell on the Helderberg Mountain in Somerset West twice in the past month, the latest snow falling on Thursday evening. The last snowfall was recorded in 1978!
* The world’s first Avozilla has been grown by Westfalia Fruit Estate in Limpopo, a maxi avocado being five times larger than a standard avocado and weighing about 1,3 kg, reports The Times. The fruit is mainly exported to the UK, where it is being sold for £3 (about R50).
* It has been the joint wettest August in the Cape in the past thirteen years, with both 2004 and this year measuring just less than 170 mm of rain each, reports the Weekend Argus.
* ‘As a new generation of winemakers enters the fold, there is once again a buzz about South African wines that may well mark a more permanent turning point in the country’s somewhat checkered wine history‘, praises the Canadian Calgary Herald.
* Bullipedia is being developed by one of the world’s top chefs Ferran Adria (he owned El Bulli in Spain, but closed it down last year) as the chefs’ encyclopedia of all things cuisine and culinary. He plans to have it ready by 2016.
* Global cooling rather than warming may be the new weather trend, with an 60% increase in the amount of ice coverage of the oceans this year compared to 2012, reports The Times. A United Nations Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change predicts through its research that the period of global cooling might continue until 2050.
* Durban is ready to bid for the 2024 Olympic Games, having ‘fantastic and world class infrastructure, humility and humanity‘, reports The Times. The Olympic Games have never been held in Africa. The new IOC President Dr Thomas Bach has stated that he is keen to see the fifth Olympic ring (Africa) host the Olympic Games.
Chris von Ulmenstein, Whale Cottage Portfolio: www.whalecottage.com Twitter: @WhaleCottage