* Standard Bank is to support the newly created Standard Bank/Top 10 Chenin Blanc Challenge for a three year period. Entries open on 1 July, and each of the 100 members of the Chenin Blanc Association may enter their wines. The Top 10 wine producers will receive R20000 each, and are expected to reinvest the prize money to benefit their workers and workplace. (received via media release from Waterford Communications)
* Chanticleer Holdings, the South African company owning four Hooters franchises, is reported to pay close to R9 million in the USA to settle a ‘putative class action alleging it lied about its South African restaurants’ financial statements being audited before an ill-fated $10,1 million initial public offering’!
* Entries are invited for the 2014 Lilizela Tourism Awards, Western Cape Tourism Minister Alan Winde has announced. Provincial winners are selected, who go forward to the national finals. The Minister said: ‘This competition is a good measure because tourists are the ones voting. Great service is one of the key factors in repeat visits and the Western Cape’s establishments have set a high standard for service excellence. After a great showing last year, I wish our sector the best for this year’s awards’. Entries close on 30 May. (received via media release from Minister Winde’s office)
* 30 top Chardonnay producers are offering a taste of their wines at the ‘New School Grand Cru Chardonnay Festival’, to be held at Bread & Wine on 26 April, from 14h00 – 18h00, at the ticket cost of R150. Bouchard Finlayson will be pouring its Missionvale 2012 and Sans Barrique 2013. (received via newsletter from Bouchard Finlayson)
* Durbanville Hills is the wine sponsor of the second series of kykNET’s ‘Leef jou Reis‘ travel programme, broadcast on channel 144 from Friday onwards, taking viewers on a trip through Africa, Europe, and South America. (received via media release from De Kock Communications)
* Bouchard Finlayson owners, the Tollman family, is sponsoring the Tollman Bouchard Finlayson Art Award 2014 Tondo Competition at the Hermanus FynArts Festival, running from 6 – 16 June. The work of 40 finalists to the competition will form the Tollman Bouchard Finlayson Barrel Head Exhibition, which will be available for purchase during the Festival. (received via newsletter from Bouchard Finlayson)
Chris von Ulmenstein, Whale Cottage Portfolio: www.whalecottage.com Twitter: @WhaleCottage