* Speculation about the reason for the stepping down of Koos Bekker as CEO of Naspers at the end of last month is that Bekker may be planning to create the world’s largest global internet, media, and digital group.
* Bloomberg Businessweek has highlighted Cape Town as the jet set holiday destination of celebrities such as Kim Kardashian and Oprah Winfrey, paying R50000 per day to stay in the new villa at Ellerman House, which houses owner Paul Harris’ art collection and new Wine Gallery (a serious one, not a six bottle one like that of the petite Pendock Wine Gallery)! Unfortunately the article contrasts the opulence of the villa and its guests with the poverty of the inhabitants of the townships in Cape Town, and highlights the city’s poor reputation as the ‘most violent city in Africa‘!
* Top UK chef Michel Roux Jnr has resigned from the BBC produced ‘MasterChef: the Professionals’ and ‘Food and Drink‘, describing negotiations with the BBC as a ‘frustrating process’, the corporation not having an appreciation of Roux’s commercial relationships.
* Moderate wine drinking could help prevent heart attacks and reduce heart-related deaths amongst Type 2 diabetes sufferers, a study has found.
* Franschhoek is hosting an inaugural Franschhoek Bridal Showcase on 31 May and 1 June at Franschhoek Cellars, with wedding suppliers such as venues, wedding dresses, cakes, wedding stationery, registries, music, DJs, photographers, wineries, and more exhibiting their services. An online wedding registry will also be launched at the Bridal Showcase. Franschhoek has been known as the Wedding Capital of South Africa, being one of the most popular wedding destinations. Cost is R100, and tickets are available from www.webtickets.co.za. (received via media release from Smart Communications & Events)
* The ‘West Coast Cookbook’ by Ernst Messina and edited by Ina Paarman has been updated and published by Jonathan Ball Publishers. The Cookbook contains recipes of the Bergrivier Vissersvrouevereniging, and reflect the importance that fish plays as their staple diet. Reuben Riffel has written the foreword to the new book.
* The 5Rooms restaurant at The Alphen hotel is offering its diners jazz with their dinner from Wednesday to Saturday evenings, and at Sunday lunches. On Friday evening, for example, the Gavin Minter Quintet will perform. (received via e-mail from The Alphen)
Chris von Ulmenstein, Whale Cottage Portfolio: www.whalecottage.com Twitter: WhaleCottage