* The ban on taking liquids on board flights is said to be lifted in the European Union from January. Special scanners at airports will be able to test liquids.
* ‘Silver Surfers’ are an important tourist segment, the 50+ year olds estimated to represent 30% of travelers in the UK, USA, and South East Asia by 2018. Almost half of all Apple product purchasers are members of this segment, 35% of them travel in Europe, 42 % book travel online, and 68% use Facebook.
* The ABSA Cape Epic has been nominated for the Discovery Sport Industry Awards in the Sport Participation Event of the Year category.
* The T20 Tourism Ministers of the G20 countries have agreed to push for better visa facilitation, to stimulate tourism, and the employment of staff in the industry.
* Bistro Sixteen82 has returned to its summer Tapas dinner menu. ‘The Tapas: Summer 2013‘ menu is a combination of classic Spanish tapas Patatas Bravas and Empandillas; Mexican Albondigas and a spicy black Beans dish; Fish Balls, No Lettuce salad, Anti Pasti platter, Profiteroles, and Chocolate Whities. (received via Communications Services Africa)
* Aerolineas Argentinas has not denied that it may take over the discontinued SAA flights between Argentina and South Africa.
* A Woodstock Tour, including the Woodstock Exchange and its boutiques and food shops, The Biscuit Mill with its three award-winning restaurants and shops, Delos, and the Woodstock Foundry, has been launched by Thompson Tours.
* An increasing number of tourists to Africa are coming from the BRICS countries.
* ‘The European Union on Monday will propose lifting its block on South African sugar and allow more duty-free access for wine in return for help with Europe’s stalled trade deals with sub-Saharan Africa, people familiar with the matter said‘, reports Reuters.
* SAA’s Buenos Aires – Johannesburg flights will cease on 28 March, the airline has announced.
* Language is still a barrier for Chinese tourists travelling to South Africa, and that is why they tend to travel in groups with their own tour guide.
Chris von Ulmenstein, Whale Cottage Portfolio: www.whalecottage.com Twitter: @WhaleCottage