* SAA and Boeing are collaborating on a biofuels project, to create a ‘sustainable aviation biofuel supply chain‘, making SAA the first airline in Africa to become environmentally sustainable.
* The new Cape Town cruise liner terminal should be completed in two years, and will be beneficial for tourism.
* Despite the European air controller strike having been called off for yesterday, the French air controllers did commence their strike yesterday, affecting flights to/from France.
* Hotel king Sol Kerzner has announced the development of a new (and third) Atlantis resort on the Hainan Island off the South China Sea.
* Promising is that the number of British travelers increased by 8% in August, relative to the same month a year ago.
* Excellent news for Cape Town is that the inaugural Africa’s Next Top Model will be filmed in Cape Town. Candidates for the show are being recruited from the continent.
* Praise for Graham Beck Wines and its MCC cellar master Pieter ‘Bubbles’ Ferreira comes all the way from Ohio.
* Wine festivals, online wine sales, and competitions could all become illegal if the new law preventing wine marketing is promulgated, says Michael Fridjhon.
* High praise has been received for Platypus Productions’ outstanding TV commercials for sponsor Woolworths, for flighting in the episodes of Season 2 of MasterChef SA.
* SA Tourism is hosting a national Road Show, which will be in Cape Town on 23 October, from 9h00 – 14h00, at the Pavilion Conference Centre, The Baltic venue, 2nd floor, Clock Tower Centre in the V&A Waterfront. Entrance is free.
* A new range of steam pasteurised, and preservative-free and GMO-free range of herbs and spices has been launched by Natural Herbs and Spices, a company with an international following. The treatment of the herbs and spices replaces the need for preservatives, and prevents diseases. The product range consists of grinders, salt seasonings, sachet seasonings, herbs and blended spices, and ceramic grinders, and is available at Pick ‘n Pay, Spar, Wellness Warehouse, and Dis-Chem. (via media release from Dummet & Co)
Chris von Ulmenstein, Whale Cottage Portfolio: www.whalecottage.com Twitter: @WhaleCottage