* SATSA CEO David Frost is concerned about the Department of Home Affairs misleading the tourism industry with incorrect arrival statistics from Statistics South Africa. The Department is using apple-and-pear data (2013 figures inclusive of transit passengers and 2014 figures excluding them), to try to prove that factors other than the new visa regulations have led to the decline in tourism arrivals!
* The first National Beer Trophy judging of craft beers has taken place, and eleven gold medals have been awarded to Red Rye of Aegir Project, Dunkel by Brauhaus am Damm, Weizen by Brauhaus am Damm, The Chubbyhead Dry Stout by Cederberg Brew, The Cape Town Blonde by Drifter Brewing Co, Stride Wide Barrel Aged Baltic Porter by Gallow Hill, 1831 Honey Amber Ale by Harfield Beer Co, Cape Kraken Belgian Amber Ale by Mountain Brewing Co, Rauch Beer by Red Sky, Dravidian Draught Indian Pale Ale by Sabie Brewing Co, and Craft Pils by Striped Horse. HQ Bar & Restaurant will stock the award-winning craft beers throughout the year on a rotational basis. (received via media release from Jean-Vincent Ridon)
* The four-year ban on fresh ostrich meat exports to the European Union will be lifted at the end of this month, Western Cape Minister of Economic Opportunities Alan Winde has announced. An avian flu outbreak had led to the ban. The value of the ostrich industry is R1 billion. (received via media release from Minister Winde’s office)
* The Groote Post Country Market will be held on the wine estate on 30 August, from 10h00 – 15h00, and every last Sunday of the summer months thereafter, with artisanal foods, Groote Post wines, arts and crafts, and homeware and décor for sale. Activities for children are planned, and Hilda’s Kitchen restaurant will be open for lunch. (received via media release from Hazell Public Relations & Wine Consultants)
* Oneiric Wines is hosting a food and wine pairing evening at Thomas Maxwell Bistro in Johannesburg on Thursday 13 August. Cost R465 for 3-course dinner and wine pairing. (received via e-mail from Oneiric)