* The BRICS nations’ Ministers of Science and Technology will meet in Cape Town on 10 and 11 February, to discuss matters of mutual interest regarding innovation, science, and technology. Derek Hanekom, our Minister of Science and Technology, will lead the discussions. A Memorandum of Understanding is expected to be signed too, reports The New Age.
* The 2014 South African showcase of more than 200 award winning wines of the International Wine & Spirit Competition takes place on Thursday at the Grande Roche in Paarl.
* Beer sales are down in Germany, a trend which has been evident for the past seven years, and have reached the lowest level of sales in the past 25 years! UK beer sales by contrast have increased in the past two quarters, for the first time in ten years!
* Wines of South Africa (WOSA) says it has a ‘dedicated support plan for black-owned brands within which we offer guidance in terms of marketing and developing strategies’, to fast track ’emerging brands‘ internationally. Display space and travel costs are subsidised by WOSA for these brands.
* The price of petrol is set to increase by 39c a litre from Wednesday.
* A preferred bidder for the moyo group of restaurants, which has been subject to ‘business rescue proceedings’ in the last four months, has been identified. The Fournews Development consortium has a number of restaurants, largely Johannesburg-based, including The News Café and Fusion Foods. It is planned that the existing moyo restaurants continue to operate with their brand.
Chris von Ulmenstein, Whale Cottage Portfolio: www.whalecottage.com Twitter: @WhaleCottage