* It’s Bastille Festival in Franschhoek this weekend, one of the largest and oldest wine shows, celebrating its 20th anniversary. A full programme of wine and food tastings has been planned.
* Van Ryn’s Brandy Distillery near Stellenbosch is saluting women with a special tour and tasting offer presented by a woman for women, on Thursdays in August, in honour of Women’s Day on 9 August. Distillery Manager and wine biotechnologist, Marlene Bester, will accompany guests on the 11h30 tour, showing them the antique copper potstills still used today, the maturation cellar, a demonstration of a cooper assembling a French oak barrel, and do tastings of Van Ryn’s Collection Reserve range of brandies paired either with handcrafted chocolates (made by Richard von Gesau) or with Florentine biscuits. The 12 Year Old brandy is partnered with a Cappuccino chocolate, the 15 Year Old with Cinnamon & Orange chocolate, and the 20 Year Old with a French 70% cocoa chocolate.
* Koi is a new restaurant opening in the Ambassador Hotel in Bantry Bay in August, in the place of Salt, reports Hotel & Restaurant.
* Marika’s Greek restaurant in Gardens Cape Town is pairing its meal with Nabygelegen wines from Wellington, with owner James McKenzie introducing his wines and olive oil. Cost is R180. 25 July.
* Constantia Uitsig is for sale at R175 million, reports Moneyweb.
Chris von Ulmenstein, Whale Cottage Portfolio: www.whalecottage.com Twitter: @WhaleCottage