* A new yacht race between Durban and the Seychelles has been organised, along the lines of the ‘Cape To Cairo’ (sic) race, The New Age obviously meaning the Cape to Rio yacht race! The race will include Mozambique and Swaziland (land-locked), but how the latter country will be involved is uncertain.
* ‘Restaurant Australia’ is a new marketing campaign for Australia, to promote eating at the country’s good restaurants and drinking its good wines whilst on holiday in the country, food for thought for a Western Cape campaign, which could equally have been shot locally. Social Media is strongly incorporated in the campaign, with the hashtag #restaurantaustralia.
* A new airline Fly Blue Crane is applying for an Air Services Licence, belonging to a trio of owners previously working at SAA and SA Express, being Siza Mimela, Theuns Potgieter, and Jerome Simelane. The airline plans to fly between Cape Town and Johannesburg.
* TripAdvisor’s mobile app has been downloaded on Android and iOS 100 million times. The free app is available in 21 languages.
* The World Health Organisation (WHO) has warned against the destructive influence of alcohol, 3,3 million persons globally dying of alcohol-related consequences annually. The average alcohol consumption per drinking adult is 17 litres per year, and is highest in Europe.
* SA Tourism has promised to maintain its marketing expenditure in Australia, even though the weaker Rand is eating into its budget. In addition to promoting safaris, it is also focusing on food, fashion, and community tourism.
Chris von Ulmenstein, Whale Cottage Portfolio: www.whalecottage.com Twitter: WhaleCottage