* The Department of Home Affairs appears determined to destroy tourism to our country. Tourism Update reports that two groups of American tourists traveling with children have been requested to show copies of the non-traveling fathers’ passports at OR Thambo airport, never stipulated in the new Immigration Regulations!
* A Chinese-owned Australian wine company Ferngrove has developed a ‘smart‘ wine bottle, monitoring whether a bottle has been opened previously, where it is in the distribution channel, and communicating with consumers scanning the bottle with their smartphones! Using ThinFilm electronic sensors, the bottle prototype will be introduced at the Mobile World Congress Shanghai, reports The Drinks Business. The same technology has been used for Johnnie Walker Blue Label.
* The City of Cape Town is getting heavy-handed with motorists driving and parking in the new cycle lanes created in Salt River in Cape Town. In a move to reduce the traffic load on the city’s roads, the cycle lanes have been introduced, to encourage more locals to walk or cycle. Vehicles can expect to be towed away and pay a fine of R1000, if parking in the cycle lanes. Bollards are to be erected to prevent entrance into the cycle lanes, the City has announced in a statement. Businesses in the area have expressed their dissatisfaction, in preventing customers from visiting their outlets on Albert Road.
* Kate Wilson is the new Editor-in-chief of Woolworths’ Taste magazine, taking over the reins from Sumien Brink, who moves within New Media Publishing to head up their new Books Division, according to BizCommunity.com.
* City of Cape Town Mayoral Committee Member : Transport for Cape Town Brett Herron has welcomed the granting of metered taxi licenses last week to 145 Uber vehicles. He said:’We are very supportive of the Uber innovation, however, we are compelled to work within legislation and regulations and we must apply the law equally to all operators’.
Chris von Ulmenstein, Whale Cottage Portfolio: www.whalecottage.com Tel (021) 433-2100, Twitter:@WhaleCottage Facebook: click here