* Cape Town has been selected to be on the route for the Volvo Oceans Race 2014/2015, which means that all five continents will be included in the race.
* Distell owns 99% of the cider market in South Africa with its Savanna and Hunter’s brands.
* Chinese tourists are spending less, a more middle class Chinese tourist focusing on practical purchases rather than on luxury top-end products.
* While it benefits Franschhoek, this Australian travel article gets the food focus of Cape Town very wrong, referring to ‘5 star restaurants’! But it does focus Australians on our country, motivating them to come for our wildlife, culture, food, sport and natural wonders.
* Infamous writer Laura Oneale, who incorrectly wrote about Nelson Mandela’s passing, has written about Camps Bay, and its ‘shark diving’, ‘golf’, and ‘Open-air concerts bring to mind a Disney land atmosphere’, making one think that the lady has never visited the prestigious Cape Town suburb. On Twitter she wrote that she has been to Camps Bay before, but was ‘just using info given to me for the article’. When asked for her source and whether she checks facts, she remained silent!
Chris von Ulmenstein, Whale Cottage Portfolio: www.whalecottage.com Twitter: @WhaleCottage