* SAA is one of only two international airlines to have been recognised for its environmental management process, achieving Stage 2 of the International Air Transport Association (IATA) Environmental Assessment Program. Sustainability factors which were evaluated are air quality and emissions, aircraft noise, fuel consumption and efficient operations, recycling, energy efficiency, sustainable procurement, biofuels, and more.
* Latest SA Stats figures show retail sales increased by 2,6% in November on a year ago, with an annual average for 2014 expected to be 1,9%. The sales growth is expected to pick up in 2015, due to the falling fuel price.
* The City of Cape Town Naming Committee will recommend to the City Council that it approve the renaming of the first section of the N1 outgoing from Cape Town (Table Bay Boulevard) as FW de Klerk Boulevard, but faces heavy opposition to the name from Western Cape COSATU secretary Tony Ehrenreich. Councillor Brett Herron, Chairman of the Naming Committee, said: ‘This proposal complies with the City’s Naming Policy which states that citizens of Cape Town and South Africa may be considered in their lifetime if they have received international recognition of the highest kind. Mr De Klerk clearly falls within this category and the FW de Klerk Foundation has also confirmed that Mr De Klerk is in favour of such a decision if a street with a neutral name is to be renamed after him‘.
* The Twelve Apostles Hotel & Spa is offering a ‘Royal Proposal Package’ to celebrate Valentine’s Day, but available for all of February. Costing R47500 per day, and offering the Presidential Suite, a helicopter transfer from the V&A Waterfront, full Butler service, red roses, a snack gift basket, in-room gift basket, complimentary personalised bath gowns, spa treatments, cocktails, canapés, a Seafood extravaganza served in the Suite, and a full English breakfast with oysters and sparkling wine. (received via media release from FIVESTAR PR)
* Fairtrade De Bos Handpicked Wines, made by Bosman Family Vineyards, is joining up with the Belmond Mount Nelson, in offering its Oasis Bistro luncheon patrons a complimentary bottle of its Rosé 2014 or Sauvignon Blanc 2014 for two full buffet lunches ordered, at R325 per person, until the end of April. (received via media release from Manley Communications)