* Johnny Clegg has been added to the Birthday List of Queen Elizabeth II, for an OBE (Order of the British Empire), reports Business Day.
* Jeff Gradwell has left the KWV to join Stellenbosch Vineyards as Group Sales and Marketing Executive. He has previously worked at Nederburg and Haute Cabriere. (Via wine.co.za)
* Wine Owners has conducted a study on what/who influences their clients’ wine buying choices: Robert Parker (56%), Jancis Robinson (49%), Neal Martin (29%), Antonio Galloni (26%), Burghound (22%), Tim Atkin (20%), Stephen Tanzer (17%), and Jamie Goode (14%). Further, newsletters from wine critics, and friend and wine merchant recommendations influence purchases.
* French Minister of the Environment Ségolène Royal is calling for a boycott of Nutella, for its use of palm oil as an ingredient, which can only be sourced by destroying forests.
* [spasie] underground restaurant is hosting three functions this month. Chef Michelle Theron from Pierneef à La Motte will cook tomorrow and Friday night, pairing her courses with La Motte wines; Chef Lapo Magni will cook on 24 and 25 June, his dinner paired with Morgenster wines; and a Sunday Funday Brunch will be held on 28 June. Price R650.
Chris von Ulmenstein, Whale Cottage Portfolio, Tel +27 825511323. www.whalecottage.com Twitter:@WhaleCottage