* Uber and Discovery Health are partnering in a flu vaccination drive on Friday 22 May, between 10h00 and 16h00, a Discovery Health accredited nurse coming to one’s home or work and offering five vaccinations to persons 18+ years for R100. The promotional code is UBERHEALTHSA. The nurse will also bring a flu prevention pack with some surprise items. Discovery Vitality members receive 1000 Vitality points, while DiscoveryCard holders will receive a refund of the R100. (received via media release from Uber).
* KWV has won 35 international awards in three competitions in the past week: At the International Wine Challenge it won 2 Gold, 5 Silver, and 3 Bronze awards. At IMBIBE Sommeliers Wine Awards and Concourse Mondial de Bruxelles it jointly won 7 Gold, 12 Silver, and 2 Bronze medals. The bulk of the Gold awards went to the KWV The Mentors range. (received via media release from Tin Can PR)
* Glenelly Estate in Stellenbosch will close from 1 June, for about a year, for renovations. The Tasting Room will be changed, and a food offering will be introduced. (received via media release from Hazell Public Relations and Wine Consultants)
* Bouchard Finlayson is offering tastings of its older wines at its cellar in the Hemel-en-Aarde Valley, for groups of up to twenty, at a cost of R2500. The tasting topics vary, with ‘Vintage Pinot Noirs’ currently offered, accompanied by a board of salami and cheeses. (received via media release from FIVESTAR PR)
* Joanne Gibson (long-form) and Angela Lloyd (short-form) were named as the two Franschhoek Literary Festival Wine Writers’ Awards 2015 winners this past weekend. Judges for the Awards were John Maytham, Marlene van der Westhuizen, and Tim Atkin.