* The Finalists for the Diners Club Young Winemaker of the Year 2013, being under the age of 30 years, have been announced: Murray Barlow of Rustenberg Wines, Hendrien de Munck of Longridge, Attie Louw of Opstal, Emile van der Merwe of Vondeling, Narina Cloete of Quoin Rock, and David Sadie of Lemberg. The winner in this category, as well as the Diners Club Winemaker of the Year 2013, will be announced on 30 November. (received via media release from African Sky Communications)
* Pedestrian safety in Cape Town is the theme of the City of Cape Town’s Transport Month this month. With the use of radio and print ads, the City of Cape Town’s Mayoral Committee Member for Transport, Roads and Stormwater, Councillor Brett Herron, ‘has urged pedestrians to be safe and to make use of designated pedestrian crossings’, says the City media release.
* Vinexpo Beijing, planned to have been held in June 2014, has been cancelled, due to a ‘slowdown in the growth of imported wine sales in China as well as the lack of demand from potential exhibitors who have already invested money and resources in other events next year’.
* India, Japan, and China are important priority markets for Nederburg.
* Parliament is defending its R3 million wine cellar against criticism!
* The Nedbank Green Award 2013 winners are the following:
- Best Value: Org De Rac Unwooded Chardonnay 2013
- Best White Organic: Waverley Hills Viognier Semillon Chardonnay 2011
- Bloggers’ Choice Organic: Waverley Hills Shiraz Mourvedre Viognier 2010
- Best Overall Organic, Best Red Organic : Laibach Woolworths Merlot 2012
Biodiversity & Wine Initiative (BWI)
- Best Red BWI: Uitkyk Carlonet 2009
- Best Value BWI: Backsberg Tread Lightly Chenin Blanc 2012
- Best Overall BWI, Best White BWI: Paul Cluver Gewürztraminer 2012
- Bloggers’ Choice BWI: Paul Cluver Chardonnay 2011
Best Farming Practice
* Best (sustainable) contribution to tourism: La Motte
* Best contribution to farming practices and production integrity: Bartinney
* Best contribution to community development, Best contribution to conservation, Overall Winner of best farming practices: Delheim
A public tasting of the award-winning Green wines will be held on 6 November at the Lagoon Beach Hotel.
Chris von Ulmenstein, Whale Cottage Portfolio: www.whalecottage.com Twitter: @WhaleCottage