* The number of visitors to World Travel Market (WTM) Africa 2015 increased by 18% relative to 2014, making it Africa’s largest Business to Business tourism trade exhibition, the organisers claim. No actual attendance figures have been revealed. With sponsor City of Cape Town, which should have not accepted its Best Stand Award due to its sponsor status, the organisers have announced that WTM Africa 2016 will be hosted from 6 – 8 April. (received via e-mail from WTM Africa)
* SAA has denied that it is selling any parts of the airline, as has been claimed in media reports, stated its Acting CEO Nico Bezuidenhout.
* Backsberg Chenin Blanc 2012 has been included in the Top 10 wines in the USA press by The Drinks Business. Praised for taking ‘conservation seriously‘, Backsberg is the first local producer, and only one of three in the world, to ‘achieve carbon-neutral status by holding down carbon emissions’. It is sold for $10 – $14 in the USA.
* Leopard’s Leap has added a Loire-inspired Chenin Blanc 2014 to its Culinaria range, made from grapes from 20 year old bushvines, creating a fresh and fruity wine sold for R70 at the Leopard’s Leap Tasting Room. On Friday mornings Leopard’s Leap offers food and Culinaria wine range pairings. (received via media release from Amplicon PR)
* The RMS Queen Mary 2 visited Cape Town this past weekend, a blustery south-easter preventing the ship from docking in the harbour initially. When built, the ship was the largest and longest, but no longer holds these accolades. It carries 2600 passengers.
* Winters Drift Tasting Station in Elgin has launched a new 51 Miles wine range, consisting of a Sauvignon Blanc and an Unwooded Chardonnay, both 2014 vintages. A red blend is to follow next year. The name comes from the opening of a railway line in 1902 between Sir Lowry’s Pass and Caledon, passing via Elgin, 51 miles from Cape Town, still denoted on a board at the station. The new wines are only available at the Tasting Station and online. (received via media release from Hazell Public Relations and Wine Consultants)