* The 16th Cape Town International Jazz Festival will be held on 27 and 28 March 2015 at the Cape Town International Convention Centre. A total of 40 groups and artists will perform, the first 20 having been announced to include Beatenberg, Melanie Scholtz, Sipho Hotstix Mabuse, and more. Five stages will be erected, and 38000 jazz lovers from around the world are expected to attend. Tickets are for sale, at R530 for a day pass, and R860 for a weekend pass.
* ‘Kitchenaid by Maryke and Reuben’ opened alongside Reuben’s Franschhoek earlier this week, the first Kitchenaid retail outlet in Africa. The Kitchenaid mixer is available in 30 colours. (received via media release from Manley Communications).
* Boschendal Elgin Sauvignon Blanc 2012 won a gold medal in the unoaked £10 – 20 category, and Nederburg Winemakers Reserve Sauvignon Blanc 2014 won Gold in the Oaked under £10 category, at the drinks business Global Sauvignon Blanc Masters. New Zealand won the most gold medals, but was in good company with Spain, France, Australia, Chile, USA, and South Africa. 150 wines were evaluated blind.
* A book by MasterChef SA judge and Chef Pete Goffe-Wood has been published. Called ‘A Life Digested’, the book is a collection of anecdotes about the restaurants he has worked in and their customers, and contains recipes.
* Master distiller Andy Watts of Bain’s Cape Mountain Whisky and Three Ships in Wellington has been named the Wellington Business Chamber’s Business Man of the Year, shortly after being named Wellingtonian of the Year. It is the first time in 30 years that the awards have gone to the same person. (received via media release from De Kock Communications)
* StreetSmart SA has collected close to R500000 from its Cape Town restaurants in the past year, the funds going to accommodate and train street children at Multi Service Centre, Home from Home, Learn to Live, Ons Plek, and TLC Outreach Projects. More than R 1 million has been raised nationally, each participating restaurant adding R5 to the bill. (received via media release from GC Communications)