* PriceWaterhouseCoopers has secured an agreement for Fournews Developments (Johannesburg-based restaurant group with News Café and more) to buy the Moyo brand, to secure the continued operation of Moyo in Kirstenbosch, Blouberg, Melrose Arch, Zoo Lake and at Pier in Durban, and thereby save 500 jobs. Moyo restaurants in the V&A Waterfront, Fountains in Pretoria, and at Spier have closed in the past month.
* The weak Rand has affected tourism in two ways: the lead times of travellers in making bookings have shortened dramatically, often to the same day, and tourists have more money to spend when they arrive.
* Amarula Cream has won a gold medal at the 2014 San Francisco World Spirits Competition, one of the first accolades for the brand in the USA, and a springboard for its future marketing in that country. The brand has also been voted as one of the world’s top bar brands, according to a survey commissioned by Drinks International. The cream spirit is made from marula fruit which is fermented into wine, and is then twice distilled as a spirit, whereafter it is matured in French oak for two years. (received via media release from De Kock Communications)
* South Africa and the UK have announced a cultural collaboration called ‘SA – UK Seasons‘, to celebrate the 20th anniversary of South Africa’s democracy this year. South Africa and the UK share a common language, have been trade partners for many years, have similar financial and legal systems, and have dynamic tourism industries. Artists of both countries will exhibit their work in the other country. Five young artists from our country winning an arts competition will spend time in the UK as part of the program, for which applications are invited.
* The ‘unprotected’ MyCiTy Bus strike by the drivers of Transpeninsula Investments, one of three contractors to the City of Cape Town, which commenced on Wednesday is continuing today, Kfm reports. Routes that have been affected are those from Hout Bay and Dunoon, as well as between the V&A Waterfront and Cape Town International airport. Yesterday striking drivers prevented the buses from leaving the Prestwich depot, so that they could be driven by the drivers of the other two operating companies!
* Filming of MasterChef SA Season 3 has commenced at Nederburg, the contestants staying at the same golf estate Boschenmeer outside Paarl as for Season 2.
Chris von Ulmenstein, Whale Cottage Portfolio: www.whalecottage.com Twitter: @WhaleCottage