* Cape Town has been named the winning city (ahead of Vancouver and Venice) in the Telegraph Travel Awards 2013. Describing all three cities as water-based, Cape Town’s point of difference is its ‘Michelin-starred restaurants’ (sic), staying in traditional as well as modern accommodation, climbing mountains, surfing the Atlantic Ocean, and relaxing at the beach. The city’s status as World Design Capital 2014 is also highlighted. ‘This really is a city that everyone who visits it loves: an English-speaking destination that offers sun, sea and culture in one place – and all just 11 hours’ flight away, with no jetlag’.
* The inaugural World Travel Market Africa, to be held in Cape Town from 2 – 3 May, is planning to sign up 700 exhibitors.
* Alan Wong, Jamie Oliver, and Gordon Ramsay are the world’s richest chefs!
* Stellenbosch Street Soirees will be held again to demonstrate the town’s leadership in wine production and its gourmet standard, lower Church Street establishments offering wine, food, and live music (the Amazink All Stars creating the beat in December) four times this summer: 11 December, 15 January, 12 February, and 12 March, weather permitting, from 18h00 – 20h00. Cost is R30. (received via Random Hat Communications)
* The Bakery at Jordan opened on Jordan Wines today, an extension of the Jordan Restaurant, with its own bistro section and menu.
* Da Vinci – The Genius SA is an interactive and educational exhibition of the work of Leonardo Da Vinci at the Clocktower in the V & A Waterfront. Entrance is R140.
* The House of Krone has launched festive gift packs for its MCCs. The Krone Borealis Cuvée Brut 2010 and Rosé Cuvée Brut 2010 are sold in embossed gift boxes, costing around R100. (received via media release from Hazell Public Relations and Wine Consultants)
* The House of JC le Roux Le Venue restaurant offers a free glass of MCC for each of two menu items on Wednesdays from 15h00 – 18h00 from 1 December until the end of March. Salmon on flatbread is paired with JC le Roux La Fleurette at R85; the Brut Cap Classique will be served with chicken skewers, beef kebabs, and Thai spring rolls at R100; and a dessert platter is paired with La Vallée at R75. (received via media release from GC Communications)
* The International Guitar Night Summer Shows is running nightly at Olympia Bakery, featuring local acoustic guitarist Tony Cox and Andrea Valeri from Italy, from 18 December – 5 January. (received via media release from Berniece Friedmann)
Chris von Ulmenstein, Whale Cottage Portfolio: www.whalecottage.com Twitter: @WhaleCottage