* Going on safari is an increasing trend, which is good for tourism in Africa, popular not only amongst European and American tourists, but also amongst BRICS travelers from Brazil, India, Russia, and China.
* SA Tourism has appointed Gaining Edge to help increase our country’s profile as a Business Events destination in India and China, for the South Africa National Convention Bureau. South Africa is ranked highest as a business events destination in Africa, and 34th in the world.
* Topless Tours have a new meaning, and do not refer to Cape Town’s Hop On Hop Off buses. It’s a new trend started in the UK, whereby ladies take photographs of themselves topless at top tourist spots, including Table Mountain!
* The 2014 Old Mutual Trophy Wine Show results are in, and KWV was named the most successful producer. Trophy winners are : Fairbairn Capital Trophy for the Most Successful Producer Overall: KWV; Miele Trophy for Best Chardonnay, Old Mutual International Judges’ Trophy and Old Mutual Trophy for Best White Wine Overall: Mulderbosch Chardonnay 2013; Best Shiraz and Old Mutual Trophy for Best Red Wine Overall: Super Single Vineyards Mount Sutherland Syrah 2012; Old Mutual Trophy for Discovery of the Show (best value gold medallist): Baleia Bay Chardonnay 2013; Best Natural Sweet Dessert Wine: Nederburg Private Bin Eminence Noble Late Harvest Muscadel 2011; Harold Eedes Trophy for Best Chenin Blanc: KWV The Mentors Chenin Blanc 2013; Just Riesling Trophy for Best Riesling: Altydgedacht Weisser Riesling 2013; Nestlé Pure Life Trophy for Best Sauvignon Blanc: Delaire Graff Coastal Cuvée Sauvignon Blanc 2013; Tony Mossop Trophy for Best Cape Port: De Krans Cape Vintage Reserve 2011; American Express Trophy for Best Cabernet Sauvignon: Jordan Cabernet Sauvignon 2011; Grande Roche Trophy for Best White Blend: Steenberg Magna Carta Sauvignon Blanc Semillon 2011; Riedel Trophy for Best Bordeaux-style Red Blend: Nederburg The Brew Master 2010; Old Mutual Trophy for Best Sparkling Wine: Table Bay MCC Blanc de Blancs NV (Ultra Liquors); Best Museum Class Fortified Wine and Best Museum Class Wine Overall: KWV White Muscadel Jerepigo 1968; Best Museum Class Chardonnay: Chamonix Chardonnay Reserve 2008; Best Museum Class Red Blend: KWV Roodeberg 1995; Best Pinotage: Spier 21 Gables Pinotage 2011; Best Semillon: KWV The Mentors Semillon 2013; Best Noble Late Harvest Dessert Wine: Delheim Edelspatz Noble Late Harvest 2013; Best Fortified Red Muscat: Orange River Cellars Red Muscadel 2012; Best Museum Class Unwooded Sauvignon Blanc: Highlands Road Sauvignon Blanc 2009; Best Museum Class Wooded Sauvignon Blanc: Bouchard Finlayson Sauvignon Blanc Reserve 2010; Best Museum Class Cabernet Sauvignon: Jakob’s Vineyards Cabernet Sauvignon 2006; and Best Museum Class White Blend: Vergelegen ‘White’ 2009. Gold medal winners are Anthonij Rupert Cape Of Good Hope Altima Sauvignon Blanc 2013; Baleia Bay Chardonnay 2013: Buitenverwachting Christine 2009; Diemersfontein Woolworths Cabernet Sauvignon Reserve 2011; Goedverwacht Maxim Cabernet Sauvignon 2011; Iona Chardonnay 2013; Kanu Kia-Ora Noble Late Harvest 2010; Kleine Zalze Family Reserve Chenin Blanc 2013; KWV Late Bottled Vintage Muscadel 1930; Miles Mossop Wines Kika 2013; Nederburg Private Bin D234 Sauvignon Blanc 2011; Rijk’s Reserve Chenin Blanc 2009; Saronsberg Provenance Shiraz 2012; Spier Woolworths The Hutton Single Vineyard Cabernet Sauvignon 2012; and Woolworths Reserve Syrah Radford Dale 2012.
* One of the judges of the 2014 Old Mutual Trophy Wine Show was Fongyee Walker of Beijing-based Dragon Phoenix Fine Wine Consulting. In an interview with Sunday Times Food Weekly wine writer Joanne Gibson she feeds back that she was impressed with so many Chenin Blancs doing so well, with 44 of the 57 Chenins entered receiving a medal. She was less complementary about our Merlots, saying that they lack love. Our MCCs were criticised by UK judge Gerard Basset, finding them ‘unbalanced, bitter and unpleasant‘.
* The winning stands at the Good Food & Wine Show Cape Town were announced this morning, received from Wired Communications:
Most interactive SPAR Food Theatre
Most innovative Rentokil Pestaurant
Best speciality product
- Gold Bella Vita Farm
- Silver Wilde at Heart
- Bronze The Charcuterie
- Best designer stand
- Gold Fratelli Foods
- Silver De’Longhi Coffee
- Bronze Fry Group Foods
- Fine Wines, Beers and Spirits
- Gold Klawer Cellars
- Silver Castle Milk Stout
- Bronze Arumdale Wines
- Sustainability The VOC Vegetable Garden – Company’s Garden
- Best Food Truck Meisies Kitchen
Chris von Ulmenstein, Whale Cottage Portfolio: www.whalecottage.com Twitter: @WhaleCottage