* The Washington Post recommends Mullineux Chenin Blanc and AA Badenhorst Secateurs as two of five good food pairing wines.
* SAA is discounting flights between Johannesburg and New York or Washington to $855 for the dates 10 – 30 November, in a promotion called ‘November to Remember’.
* The SA Vodka Festival, which was scheduled to be held at The Lookout in the V&A Waterfront from 30 October – 1 November, was cancelled a few hours before the doors were to open! No explanation has been provided to exhibitors and to the public to date.
* South Africa’s first Mzansi Latino Festival will be held at the River Club in Observatory on Saturday and Sunday, with food, dance, music, fashion and art. (received via e-mail)
* SA Tourism has commissioned a website about The Big Five, rather amateurish in look and feel, and sadly missing the whales and sharks.
* AA Badenhorst Secateurs and De Wetshof Limestone Hill Chardonnay are two of 50 wines on the ‘Plonkapalooza‘ poll in Boston, being wines under $15.
* The International Air Transport Association (IATA) is encouraging its members to offer passengers more support in their shopping for air travel, and in their experiences in airports.
* More South African manufactured products will be exported to China, it was agreed in a Bi-National Commission meeting with our Deputy President Kgalema Motlanthe.
* South Africa is the 15th best country for Expats to live in, says a survey, China, Germany, and Singapore being the top three countries for expats to live in.
* Africa needs 970 new aircraft in the next 20 years to meet increased air travel demand.
* Wimpy and Mugg & Bean have won tenders to operate restaurants in the Kruger National Park, Tsitsikamma, and Addo Elephant National Park.
Chris von Ulmenstein, Whale Cottage Portfolio: www.whalecottage.com Twitter: @WhaleCottage