* Domestic Tourism declined by 200000 persons between 2012 – 2014, mainly due to perceptions that travel locally is not affordable, says DA Shadow Minister of Tourism James Vos. Despite the decline in numbers, the income generated from domestic tourism increased by R2,3 billion to R24 billion between the two years, indicating that Domestic Tourism has become more expensive, according to Mr Vos, reports Travel News Weekly (TNW).
* Riedel is designing the perfect drinking glass for Rosé, to bring out its bouquet and freshness. It is described as ‘diamond-shaped‘, giving ‘exceptionally wide evaporation surfaces that intensifies the aromas and silkiness of the wine as it enters the mouth‘. The Riedel Vinum Extreme Rosé glass launch reflects the growth in Rosé wines.
* The Bo-Kaap community has met with representatives of the film industry, to discuss compensation for filming their homes and mosques in the suburb. The time periods of shoots was also discussed, reports the Atlantic Sun. More than 500 houses have received compensation from film companies, while 700 residents have received income as extras, security staff, and community liaison persons. Some film companies have funded the repainting of residents’ homes, and upgraded a park.
* The Feast of Shiraz and Charcuterie Festival hosted by Hartenberg Wine Estate will be held at Joostenberg Deli on 30 May, from 12h00 -17h00. A select group of Shiraz winemakers have been invited by Hartenberg winemaker Carl Schultz to showcase their Shiraz wines. Cheeses and olives will be tasted, with charcuterie too. Tickets cost R180, book at Webtickets. (received via media release from On The Marque PR and Communications)
* The Wolftrap Steakhouse Championships is staking out the best steakhouse in the country, and seeking nominations from steak lovers’ favorites. By going to www.steakhunter.co.za one can vote, or sms 32845 for steak restaurant nominations. A shortlist of 20 top steak restaurants will be selected by the end of May, where after a team of judges led by Chef Peter Goffe-Wood will visit the finalist steak restaurants, to choose the best. (received via media release from Hazell Public Relations and Wine Consultants)