* Robert Redford has expressed his delight in drinking Chenin Blanc, he shared at a special private lunch hosted in his honour by his friend Analjit Singh in Franschhoek last weekend. He said about the variety: ‘I’ve experienced white wine in the Napa Valley in California, but never something like this. Chenin blanc (sic) came into my life via my experience in South Africa. When I came here, I was willing to explore all kinds of new things. When I heard about Chenin blanc (sic) I thought I’d never had that and when I had it, I knew I’d found something fresh and exciting – so much so that I’ve now become a fan of Chenin blanc (sic)‘. Last year Mr Singh acquired shares in Mullineux Family Wines, one of our country’s top Chenin Blanc producers.
* The 2014 Diageo Reserve World Class Global Finals Bartender of the Year competition, which was held at Gleneagles in Scotland and in London recently, has been won by Charles Joly from The Aviary in Chicago, in the face of 47 contenders for the title. South Africa was represented by Jeff Lopes from The Michelangelo Hotel. Joly’s winning cocktail was called ‘Above the Clouds‘. He will become a global ambassador for Diageo Reserve World Class. Cape Town will host the Global Finals next year! (received via media release from Communication Services Africa)
* Lanzerac is celebrating Heritage Day with a food feast on 24 September, commencing with a glass of its Alma Mater Rosé. A hot and cold Buffet will be offered, followed by a selection of desserts. Three further Lanzerac wines will be served with the meal. Cost is R350. (received via media release from Smart Communications & Events)
* Col’Cacchio will offer an online ordering service for its take-away pizzas from the end of this month, which will be ‘cash-free’, with ‘no chance of being misunderstood’, with ‘no hidden charges‘, and with a ‘fast track ordering process‘. (received via newsletter from Col’Cacchio)
* La Mouette and Môreson are hosting a Wine & Dine evening on 21 August, each of the 5 courses paired with a wine. Cost is R390. (received via e-mail from La Mouette)
* To boost its Thundafund kitty to open its Chocolate Café on Wale Street, Honest Chocolate is tying in with First Thursday (7 August), with an evening of entertainment, from 17h00 onwards.
Chris von Ulmenstein, Whale Cottage Portfolio: www.whalecottage.com Twitter: @WhaleCottage