* South Africa is ‘open for business, open for tourism and open for partnerships in many sectors’. This message was presented by President Jacob Zuma to the USA Chamber of Commerce African Business Initiative on Monday, running parallel to the United States – African Leaders Summit. The President reminded the Chamber that 600 American companies operate in our country, employing 150000 staff in total.
* The American Congress has banned the use of styrofoam for take-away beverages and foods from 2016, due to it not being biodegradable. Americans throw away 25 billion Styrofoam cups away annually.
* By 2020 all South Africans should have access to broadband, as part of a government-financed program via the National Development Plan, recognising the role of broadband in growing the economy and employment. The service should be affordable, reliable, and secure. The Western Cape appears to be leading the broadband roll-out, Neotel implementing the service via the provincial government’s 384 buildings. The province has committed to investing R3 billion on the service over the next three years.
* To celebrate National Braai Day on Heritage Day (24 September), Leopard’s Leap and Weber will offer a braai of four meats and fish, served with the Leopard’s Leap Harvest Table salads and vegetable dishes, and desserts, at R300. Wines will be sold at cellar door prices. (received via media release from Amplicon PR)
* Jackie Rabé, previously of Rickety Bridge, has been appointed the Sales and Marketing Director of Strandveld Vineyards, the southernmost wine estate in Africa. The core strength of the company’s brands is ‘that it offers “the whole package” – passionate people, a unique terroir, excellent wine and a remarkable story. The rewarding aspect of being part of the Strandveld Vineyards team is working with wines from a relatively new growing region with a very special terroir and getting the message of this magic to wine lovers around the world’, said Jackie. (received via media release from GC Communications)
Chris von Ulmenstein, Whale Cottage Portfolio: www.whalecottage.com Twitter: @WhaleCottage