* The Design Indaba has announced that it will eliminate the Design Indaba Expo, largely due to the large drop in attendance this year, reaching the 2009 attendance level. The venue of the Design Indaba conference will change to Artscape, and the date will move from the last weekend in February. Owner Ravi Naidoo would like to take the event to Johannesburg and Durban too, as well as internationally.
* South Africans traveling in Europe can now access data via an Orange Holiday package. Working with a French SIM card, it is usable throughout Europe, and offers 2 hours of communication, 1000 text messages, and 1 GB of data. The cost is R750, and the package can be topped up via Orange online stores.
* Gary Jordan will host a Masterclass of rare wines sold in Magnums at past Cape Winemakers Guild Auctions, at the Big Bottle Festival at the Cape Town Club on 22 August. Wine brands to be tasted are De Trafford Sijnn Syrah 2011, Le Riche Cabernet Sauvignon 1998, Jordan Cabernet Sauvignon 1999, Graham Beck Coffee Stone Cabernet Franc 2000, Edgebaston Cabernet Sauvignon Auction Reserve 2010, and Vriesenhof Pinot Noir 2010. Cost is R100, and must be pre-booked. (received via media release from GC Communications)
* Uber Cape Town is inviting Capetonians to request a free ride in a McLaren 650S on Friday (7 August) between 12h00 to 15h00, by using the promo code UberMcLarenSA. (received via media release from Uber)
* Over this coming long weekend the Hermanus Wine & Food Festival at the Hemel en Village will include specialized wine tastings led by members of the South African Sommeliers Association. Jörg Pfützner and Neil Grant will offer eight Hemel-en-Aarde Pinot Noirs to taste on Saturday morning at 11h00. Pfützner and Tim James will present Hemel-en- Aarde Wines with Attitude on Sunday at 11h00. (received via e-mail from the Hermanus Wine Village)