* Cape Town Tourism CEO Enver Duminy’s response to the axing of Virgin Atlantic’s London – Cape Town flights is embarrassing and appears unprepared, with poor wording, likely to have been a telephonic interview: ‘The slight (sic) cuts will definitely impact on tourism to the destination, especially if you look at Summer where the demand for Cape Town is quite great (sic), especially from the UK market’ !
* ‘Chefs who Share’ is adding two further Auction lots for its charity Gala Dinner on Thursday 11 September, the culinary highlight of the year in Cape Town. The proceeds go to the MAD (Make a Difference) Charity and Laureus Sport for Good Foundation. The additional Auction lots are attendance at the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix at pit lane level, and VIP tickets to attend the Laureus World Sports Awards in Shanghai. (received via media release from Amplicon PR)
* Col’Cacchio is again giving back to the Red Cross Children’s Hospital this year, in donating R 5 of sales per pizza in its Celebrity Series in the next three months. Chef Mike Bassett of Myoga designed the pizza for September, which is a flavour fusion between the deep south if the USA and South America, which he calls the Redneck pizza, consisting of seasoned tomatoes, cream cheese, southern fried chicken, sweet chili sauce, coriander, chimichurri, and ruby slaw (R89). Chefs Jodi-Ann Pearton, and Rudi Liebenberg of the Belmond Mount Nelson, have designed the October and November celebrity pizzas.
* The next Grande Provence Wine & Dine Collaboration is on 26 September, GM and winemaker Karl Lambour pairing white blends from its own range as well as from Bosman Family Vineyards and Lammershoek with the 6-course dinner prepared by Chef Darren Badenhorst. (received via newsletter from Grande Provence)
* Leopard’s Leap is hosting a series of cooking programs in the next few months, at a cost of R650 per course: Italian cuisine is the theme of the classes on 7 and 22 October. Versatile Vegetables are the focus on 11 and 19 November. Festive Fun offers guidance for Christmas favourites, on 9 and 17 December. Seamless Sushi classes will be held on 6 and 21 January, while Chef Pieter de Jager takes poultry under his wing on 3 and 18 February! (received via media release from Amplicon PR)
* Bosman Family Vineyards has launched a new ‘orange wine‘ Fides Grenache Blanc 2013, the name coming from the Bosman family credo ‘Fides, Spes et Amor’ (love, hope, and faith). The limited release of 1000 bottles is only available via the wine farm at R150 per bottle. The new wine forms part of Bosman’s ‘Project of Passion’. (received via media release from Manley Communications)