* Du Toitskloof and Standard Bank are calling for entries for their second Wine Writer of the Year competition, this year linking to Cape Town hosting World Design Capital 2014. The writing topic for this year is ‘The role and/or history of design in contributing to the uniqueness of the South African wine industry‘, and the entry should not previously have been published. Entries close on 26 September.
* Evelyn Mahlaba has been appointed by SA Tourism as its Director for Africa, responsible for enhancing tourism to our country from East, West, and Central Africa, working with its travel trade in particular.
* Amarula Cream is celebrating its 25th birthday over three months, from October onwards, offering gifts and prizes in competitions. When buying two bottles, one receives R50 back in cash via an ABSA ATM. Independent retailers are offering prizes. Ordering an Amarula birthday drink at participating bars, clubs and restaurant could win a R25000 cash prize. (received via media release from De Kock Communications)
* The Cape Winemakers Guild has announced the wines each of its members will be offering for tasting (in Cape Town on 21 August and in Johannesburg on 26 August) and sold at the Auction on 4 October: 40 red wines (including 10 Shiraz, 8 Bordeaux blends, 7 Cabernet Sauvignon wines), 19 white wines (including 5 Chenin Blanc, 5 Chardonnay, 4 Sauvignon Blanc, and two Semillon wines), one Méthode Cap Classique (Graham Beck), one straw wine (Boplaas), and a potstill brandy (Boplaas), with a total of close to 3000 6-bottle cases to be auctioned. Andrea Mullineux makes her debut at the Auction, with the first Semillon Gris ever to be auctioned, while Simonsig’s blend of Roussanne and Chenin Blanc is a first for the auction too. For the first time Rianie Strydom will present her own Pinot Noir, under the label Strydom Family Wines Triple 7 Pinot Noir 2013. (received via media release from GC Communications)
* Allée Bleue Starlette Shiraz Rosé 2014 has won the Novare National Trophy for Top Rosé at the Novare SA Terroir Wine Awards. (received via media release from Manley Communications)
* Mooiplaas Estate & Private Nature Reserve in the Bottelary Hills region outside Stellenbosch will be hosting the forthcoming Pop Up Winemakers Lunch on 31 August, being a home-cooked 4-course lunch prepared by its owners Dirk and Kirsten Roos in their 1833 Cape Dutch homestead. Guests will meet other Bottelary Hills wine estate owners from Beyerskloof, Goede Hoop, Hartenberg, and Kaapzicht. Cost is R280. (received via media release from Random Hat Communications)
Chris von Ulmenstein, Whale Cottage Portfolio: www.whalecottage.com Twitter: @WhaleCottage