* President Jacob Zuma has announced that the General Election will take place on 7 May. (via Twitter)
* Wifi availability and its smooth operation is a ‘deal breaker’ for business as well as leisure travellers, in choosing their accommodation, being more important than any other criterion. In an analysis of 53 million reviews written in English, 2 million mentioned wifi/wi-fi and internet, and found a correlation between non-availability and poor connectivity with lower scores for the establishment out of a total of 5. However, a perfect wifi service is not rewarded with a 5/5 score, as it is taken for granted that it should be available and work perfectly.
* A Safari in Africa ranks third on the 10Best Readers Choice Best Bucket List. Top of the Bucket List is the Galapagos Islands in Ecuador, followed by Alaska. The South Pacific Islands, Italy, Greece, Ireland, New Zealand, the Pyramids, and the Swiss Alps are also on the top 10 Bucket List.
* A restaurant collection called bunnychow has opened in London, Bath, and Chester in the UK, building on the popularity of this Durban food. The owner is serving it South African style, but has added some additional ‘anglicised’ dishes such as an All English Breakfast in a Brioche.
* Between 2013 and 2017 88 bids for events and conferences have been won for South Africa, generating an income of R 2,6 billion. Currently about half of them are hosted at the Cape Town International Convention Centre.
* Indian tourism authorities are trying to balance the flow of tourists between India and South Africa, as twice as many Indian tourists visit our country. A team of Indian tourism representatives recently visited our country to market their country.
Chris von Ulmenstein, Whale Cottage Portfolio: www.whalecottage.com Twitter: @WhaleCottage