* It’s Women’s Day tomorrow, and Franschhoek is celebrating! Hildegard von Arnim, co-owner of Haute Cabriere, will conduct the Cellar Master’s Tour with a sabrage tomorrow. Le Franschhoek Hotel & Spa is offering a High Tea from 11h00 onwards, at R135/R165 with bubbly. (received via newsletter from Franschhoek Wine Valley)
* Cape Town Fringe is an inaugural festival running from 25 September to 5 October, with 89 music, theatre, art, and comedy productions, created by the City of Cape Town in conjunction with the National Arts Festival. Some of the performances were recently staged in Grahamstown. The City Hall will be the ‘hub’ of the festival.
* SAA is offering flights to our country from the USA at the unbelievable low price of $899 round-trip (from New York or Washington to Johannesburg) in its ‘Fares So Low, You Gotta Go‘ promotion for travel between 1 to 30 November. Executive Vice President of SAA for North America Marc Cavaliere said: ‘These are some of our lowest fares of the year and are only available for a short time for travel in November, which is springtime in South Africa and a great time to visit and experience Johannesburg and its many cosmopolitan activities. In addition to these low fares, you’re getting the best value for the dollar, with daily nonstop service from New York and daily direct service from Washington, DC, two free checked bags, no charge for advance seat assignments, on-demand entertainment at every seat, complimentary meals, snacks and award-winning South African wines. There is no better or more affordable way to fly to South Africa and explore the African continent’.
* Simonsig is hosting a Vintage Day on 16 August at the wine estate, with tastings of classic vintages selected by winemaker Johan Malan. Cost is R150 for entrance, glass, and tastings, R50 extra for ‘wine class’. Johannesburg Vintage Day on 30 August, cost R250. Book via Webtickets. (via Cape Times advertisement)
* Grande Provence is hosting another Wine & Dine Collaboration, on 22 August, this time with Red Blends. With a 6-course menu designed by Chef Darren Badenhorst, and a pairing put together by Cellarmaster Karl Lambour, the wines to be tasted are by Grande Provence, Miles Mossop, Gavin Bruwer Slabbert of Raats Family Vineyards, and Sebastian Beaumont. Cost is R495. (received via media release from GC Communications)
Chris von Ulmenstein, Whale Cottage Portfolio: www.whalecottage.com Twitter: WhaleCottage