* Economists are not all in agreement with Reserve Bank Governor Gill Marcus as to whether or not our country is sliding into recession, although she did express her concern about the economy, reports The New Age.
* Delaire Graff Coastal Cuvée won the Nestle Pure Life Trophy for Best Sauvignon Blanc at the Old Mutual Trophy Wine Show. The wine estate’s Delaire Graff Sauvignon Blanc 2013 has been listed in Business Class of KLM for the third year running. (received via media release from Delaire Graff)
* The mixologists who have made the Diageo Reserve World Class National Final, to be held at the Marly Hotel from 1 – 3 July, are Jeff Lopes and Simphiwe Ngcobo from The Michelangelo Hotel, Brent Perremore and Assaf Yechiel from Orphanage Cocktail Emporium, Steven Saunders from The Oyster Box, Haroon Haffajee from Harry’s Cocktail Bar, and Marson Strydom of Buena Vista Social Café. The national winner will compete in the Diageo Reserve World Class Global Final in July/August.(received via media release from Communication Services Africa)
* The robbery of a bicycle and personal belongings of a Somerset West cyclist, who filmed the incident with a helmet camera, has been reported on by eTN Global Travel Industry News, which has a vast international tourist following, bad news for our local tourism industry.
* The 1200 riders have been selected to ride the Cape Epic 2015, of whom 58% were international applicants from 62 countries, the highest ever international applicant proportion in the history of the cycle race, reports The New Age. An early bird application for the first 100 entries was sold out within minutes of opening after the 2014 Epic, selling out more quickly year on year.
* Durbanville Hills is spoiling dads for Fathers’ Day on Sunday 15 June, with a free biltong and wine pairing at its tasting room. Various styles of venison and beef biltong are paired with different Durbanville Hills wines. (received via media release from De Kock Communications)
Chris von Ulmenstein, Whale Cottage Portfolio: www.whalecottage.com Twitter: @WhaleCottage