A number of hands-on demonstrations by some of the top chefs in Franschhoek will take place over the weekend of 10 -12 June, the chefs sharing their knowledge and passion for their craft, in what Franschhoek Wine Valley is calling ‘Cook Franschhoek’.
The chefs that have been included in ‘Cook Franschhoek’ are Margot Janse of The Tasting Room at Le Quartier Français, Neil and Tina Jewell from Bread & Wine, Bjorn Dingemans from Franschhoek Kitchen at Holden Manz wine estate, Judy Sendzul from the Salmon Bar, Ryan Smith from Ryan’s Kitchen, Leigh Trout from Mange Tout at Mont Rochelle Hotel, Darren Roberts at Grande Provence, Chris Erasmus at Pierneef à La Motte, Pierre Hendriks of Le Bon Vivant, Matthew Gordon from Haute Cabriere, Adrian Buchanan from Freedom Hill, as well as representatives of L’ermitage, Huguenot Fine Chocolates, Le Franschhoek Hotel, and Franschhoek Country House and Villas. Each course will accept 8 – 30 participants, depending on the size of the demonstration venue. Each demonstration will be paired with a Franschhoek wine. Most, but not all, of the demonstrations will be held at the Franschhoek Kitchen. The cost per course and the venues will be announced tomorrow, and will be added to this blogpost.
Franschhoek’s best wine estates will participate in ‘Cook Franschhoek’ too, including Franschhoek Pass Winery, La Motte, Grande Provence, Cabrière, Haut Espoir, Anthonij Rupert Wines, Mont Rochelle and Môreson.
Accommodation will be available at a variety of accommodation establishments over the ‘Cook Franschhoek’ weekend. Whale Cottage Franschhoek is offering ‘Cook Franschhoek’ participants a special reduced winter rate for the weekend.
Franschhoek is re-asserting its positioning as the Gourmet Capital of South Africa. While it may no longer have the largest number of Eat Out Top 10 restaurants, it has just launched the Franschhoek Wine Valley Food & Wine Route, and ‘Cook Franschhoek’ is another demonstration of Franschhoek’s culinary leadership.
POSTSCRIPT 18/3: The Franschhoek Wine Valley has not dotted all its i’s nor crossed all its t’s, and therefore is not yet able to provide cost, chef and venue details, as was promised for yesterday. Darren Roberts from Grande Provence denies being a participant of the ‘Cook Franschhoek’ programme, not the first time that they have been erroneously listed on a Franschhoek programme, Roberts says.
POSTSCRIPT 6/4: The program for Cook Franschhoek has been finalised. Most of the demos will take place at Franschhoek Kitchen at Holden Manz, the exception being those at the Salmon Bar, Le Quartier Français, Allora, and Pierneef à La Motte. At each demo a chef and a matching winemaker will participate. Prices range from R 30 for a chocolate tour and tasting at Huguenot Fine Chocolates, to R 225 each for two demos by the Salmon Bar, hosted by Judy Sendzul of the Salmon Bar and Marc Kent of Boekenhoutskloof: a Farmed versus Wild-caught salmon cook-off on 11/6, and a Salmon and Trout Tasting on 12/6. On average the prices for the other demos range between R100 – R150. Grande Provence and Le Bon Vivant are no longer participating in the event. The full Franschhoek chef and winemaker list is as follows:
* Adrian Buchanan of Freedom Hill restaurant, and Dieter Sellmeyer of Lynx
* Chris Smit of Café Bon Bon, with Rob Armstrong of Haut Espoir
* Bjorn Dingemans of Franschhoek Kitchen, and Mark Carmichael-Green of Holden Manz
* Leigh Trout of Mange Tout at Mont Rochelle Hotel, and Dustin Osborne of Mont Rochelle
* Judy Sendzul of Salmon Bar, and Marc Kent of Boekenhoutskloof
* Ryan Smith of Ryan’s Kitchen, and Neil Patterson of Antonij Rupert Wines
* Matthew Gordon of Haute Cabriere, and Takuan von Arnim of Cabriere
* Daniel Botha of La Verger at Le Franschhoek Hotel, and Susan Erasmus of Vrede & Lust
* Neil and Tina Jewell of Bread & Wine, and Clayton Reabow of Môreson
* Chris Erasmus of Pierneef à La Motte, and Edmund Terblanche of La Motte
* Louis Jansen of Monneaux, and and DP Burger of Glenwood
* Philip Aplas of Allora, and Terra del Capo (Anthonij Rupert Wines)
* Ethne Booysen of L’Ermitage Hotel, and Wynand Grobler of Rickety Bridge
* Margot Janse of Le Quartier Français, and Rob Armstrong of Haut Espoir
Chris von Ulmenstein, Whale Cottage Portfolio: www.whalecottage.com Twitter: @WhaleCottage