Award-winning and rated as best bar in Cape Town, Orphanage Cocktail Emporium will close its doors as a cocktail bar temporarily from 15 November onwards, preparing for its opening next year in the new Speakers-Corner building on Church Square in the Cape Town Continue reading →
* Radford Dale Freedom Pinot Noir 2012 was paired with one of the courses at the dinner for the wedding of Prince Carl Philip and Princess Sofia of Sweden last weekend, reports The Drinks Business!
* Tourism Minister Derek Hanekom has announced in Parliament that a survey is to be conducted by the government, to establish the Continue reading →
In a tough three day challenge, with seven top bar tenders from around the country vying for the title of Diageo Reserve WORLD CLASS National Final, held at The Marly and its Umi restaurant in Camps Bay earlier this week, Brent Perremore of Orphanage Cocktail Emporium was named South Africa’s best Mixologist. He will represent our country against 49 other mixologists in the Diageo Reserve World Class Global Final in Scotland and in London later this month, with literary-themed cocktail challenges.
Brett said about winning the South African title: ‘Winning the opportunity to compete in the Global Final is a great honour. WORLD CLASS is about elevating the standard of mixology across the world, and I am very excited to represent South Africa in London and Scotland’. The two runners-up were Haroon Haffajee from Harry’s Cocktail Bar in Durban, and Marson Strydom from Buena Vista Social Café in Somerset West. Other finalists were Jeff Lopes of The Michelangelo Hotel, Johannesburg’s best barman; Simphiwe Ngcobo, also of The Michelangelo Hotel; Assaf Yechiel, also from Orphanage Cocktail Emporium; and Steven Saunders from The Oyster Box. The finalists were judged on the flavour balance and taste of their cocktails, aromatics, expression of the base spirit, overall presentation, brand and category knowledge, entertainment value, originality, and interaction with the judges.
The judges that evaluated the performance of the finalist bar tenders were Chef and MasterChef SA judge Pete Goffe-Wood, 2012 Global World Class Champion Tim Philip, 2013 South African World Class National winner Nick Koumbarakis (also from Orphanage Cocktail Emporium), Travis Kuhn from Pure Bar Studios, and Tim Etherington-Judge, Diageo Reserve Brand Ambassador for Africa and Global Ambassador for Bulleit Bourbon. Continue reading →
* Economists are not all in agreement with Reserve Bank Governor Gill Marcus as to whether or not our country is sliding into recession, although she did express her concern about the economy, reports The New Age.
* Delaire Graff Coastal Cuvée won the Nestle Pure Life Trophy for Best Sauvignon Blanc at the Old Mutual Trophy Wine Show. The wine estate’s Delaire Graff Sauvignon Blanc 2013 has been listed in Business Class of KLM for the third year running. (received via media release from Delaire Graff)
* The mixologists who have made the Diageo Reserve World Class National Final, to be held at the Marly Hotel from 1 – 3 July, are Jeff Lopes and Simphiwe Ngcobo from The Michelangelo Hotel, Brent Perremore and Assaf Yechiel from Orphanage Cocktail Emporium, Steven Saunders from The Oyster Box, Haroon Haffajee from Harry’s Cocktail Bar, and Marson Strydom of Buena Vista Social Café. The national winner will compete in the Diageo Reserve World Class Global Final in July/August.(received via media release from Communication Services Africa) Continue reading →
* The MyCiTi Bus service has announced that it is using another bus size for its Cape Town International airport run from Monday onwards, to allow it to use the larger buses on its new Atlantis route, which opens tomorrow. Buses which had been ordered for the Atlantis route have not been delivered! It would appear that the City’s planning of its bus service, and continuous introduction of new routes is straining its service, with numerous complaints by commuters of buses not running according to schedule. The change in bus size impacts on the route to the airport, and excludes certain bus stops temporarily.
* USA-based Domino’s Pizza, a ‘world leader in pizza delivery‘, with 10800 outlets in 70 countries, has signed a license agreement with Taste Holdings, owners of 150 Scooters and St Elmo’s pizza outlets in South Africa, to rebrand to Domino’s.
* Google is looking to accept direct accommodation advertising on its site, in direct opposition to booking sites such as Continue reading →
* SA Tourism may be feeling threatened by the World Travel Market Africa expo taking place in Cape Town a week before Indaba in May. To date Indaba has been the dominant tourism expo in South Africa and on the African continent. Tourism Minister Marthinus van Schalkwyk issued a statement, in support of Indaba (logical as it is organised by SA Tourism)! In it he reflects that (the very negative) feedback about Indaba 2013 was heard and taken into account in planning Indaba 2014, scheduled for 10 – 12 May. Key is the increasing attendance of African countries at Indaba, 22 to date, with a total of 1242 buyers having booked to attend to date. The Minister announced that a new bidding process will commence after Indaba 2014.
* Bistrot Bizerca appears to be in liquidation. The restaurant has been a Top 10 and Best Bistro restaurant in the past, but appears to have lost energy when it moved into Heritage Square over a year ago. (Note: See Comments for response on behalf of Bizerca, not explaining its liquidation in 2012, when it moved to the new premises)