On Saturday I tried some new dishes which have been introduced to the menu at Haute Cabriere, reflecting the creativity of the Chef partnership of Nic van Wyk and Westley Muller with the winery, which began on 1 November. I was invited by Manley Communications. The new Summer Menu of the restaurant commences today. Continue reading →
Clever Capetonians stay far away from restaurants over the Festive Season, given poor past experiences with service and food quality. It seems that many locals are brave enough or naive enough to go out during the Continue reading →
Not to be confused with a private home in which one can drink Brandy, the new ‘Brandy Homes‘ are in fact Brandy producers in the Cape Winelands, the Karoo, and Northern Cape, which have been designed to make its visitors ‘sit back, relax, and learn all there is to know about Brandy‘. The ‘Brandy Homes‘ are an initiative created by the South African Brandy Foundation, allowing Brandy lovers Continue reading →
The Franschhoek Bastille Festival is one of the most popular events held in this French Huguenot village, and this weekend (11 and 12 July) Franschhoek will be decked in red, white, and blue to celebrate its French roots. Even a mini Eiffel Tower is to bring Paris to Franschhoek this year!
The Franschhoek Bastille Festival Marquee will be set up next to the Franschhoek Huguenot Monument, with parking nearby. A number of Franschhoek restaurants will offer their cuisine, and Chef Marcus Continue reading →
How clever are Chefs Lyndal Wakeford and Cisca Rossouw to organise their launch for a Saturday lunchtime, meaning less stress than on a weekday, and a slightly better chance of finding parking, resulting in a well-attended function yesterday.
The Eatery is on Long Street, opposite Merchants on Long, and was previously the home of pop-up restaurants renting the space from owner Hannelie Rupert. Downstairs there are a few tables, shared with a long counter, as well as an open bakery, so that one can chat to and look at Chef Cisca baking their breads, biscuits, and cakes too. The coffee machine is stationed here as well, and they serve Legardo coffee, sourced from Stellenbosch. Upstairs is much more spacious, with a terrace too, which should be popular in summer. One corner has an electronic keyboard set up, and guitars have been hung on the wall for decor. We were told that they plan to have regular events. Continue reading →
* Joan Armatrading will be hosting a concert at the Cape Town International Convention Centre on 3 July.
* Backsberg has won The Drinks Business Amorim Sustainability Award for Wine, being recognised for being an environmentally sensitive and ethical bio-dynamic winery, which is carbon neutral. It was also praised for its innovative energy use. Owner Michael Back received the Lifetime Achievement Award, for creating the first carbon-neutral winery in our country, and for championing green Continue reading →
* The number of visitors to World Travel Market (WTM) Africa 2015 increased by 18% relative to 2014, making it Africa’s largest Business to Business tourism trade exhibition, the organisers claim. No actual attendance figures have been revealed. With sponsor City of Cape Town, which should have not accepted its Best Stand Award due to its sponsor status, the organisers have announced that WTM Africa 2016 will be hosted from 6 – 8 April. (received via e-mail from WTM Africa)
* SAA has denied that it is selling any parts of the airline, as has been claimed in media reports, stated its Acting CEO Nico Bezuidenhout. Continue reading →
* The French association of travel agents and tour operators has written to the Department of Home Affairs, the Department of Tourism, and the Department of Foreign Affairs, requesting an improvement regarding the new Immigration Regulations regarding children traveling to our country. The association points out that tourism to our country will be harmed, by up to 40% they warn!
* The closing down of the South African Press Association (SAPA) at the end of March threatens press freedom, says the Cape Town Press Club. The Association is known for its quality coverage of events. News about South Africa and its neighbouring countries will now have to originate from foreign news agencies.
* SA Airlink has announced that its fares will decrease from Monday, passing on the fuel cost saving to its passengers.
* ‘Traumorte: Südafrika‘ (Dream Destinations: South Africa) was screened on German TV Continue reading →
The Finalists for 2014 Diners Club Winemaker of the Year, in the category of Dry White Wine Blends, are: Continue reading →