On Tuesday Open Door at Constantia Uitsig opened its doors for Breakfast, served from 9h00 until 11h00 daily. It is reasonably priced, and offers some unusual breakfast options. Open Door is the third restaurant co-owned by Neil Grant and Barry Engelbrecht, with Bocca on foodie Bree Street,and Burrata at the Biscuit Mill, and opened in May.
Tag Archives: Christine de Villiers
Exciting restaurant openings and changes in Cape Town and Winelands today!
The rate of new and planned restaurant openings seems slower than at the beginning of previous summer seasons. Restaurateur Michael Townsend of the Harbour House Group continues unabated in opening new restaurants. Exciting news for Franschhoek is the ownership change today of Le Quartier Français by the Leeu Collection! Today’s date of 1 September appears a number of times below! We update information about newly opened and closed restaurants continuously.
* Vicky Cristina’s tapas bar y restaurante espanol has opened in Camps Bay (photograph).
* De Warenmarkt has opened in Stellenbosch, a mix of market, deli, bar, and pop-up restaurant
* Open Door has opened at Constantia Uitsig, the third restaurant to be opened by Neil Grant and his business Continue reading →
Few new Restaurant openings lying ahead in Cape Town and Winelands!!
Winter has set in, and the rate of new restaurant openings has almost ground to a halt, as has the move of chefs between restaurants. This list of restaurant openings and closings and restaurant staff movements is updated continuously, as we receive new information:
* Open Door has opened at Constantia Uitsig, the third restaurant to be opened by Neil Grant and his business partner Barry Engelbrecht (of Burrata and Bocca), previously the River Café. (photograph)
* Michael Townsend of the Harbour House Group is planning to open two new restaurants on the Muizenberg beachfront: a 160-seater Live Bait, and Howlin’ Wolf, a burger and beer quick service restaurant. Continue reading →
Restaurant Review: The doors of Open Door at Constantia Uitsig (almost) always open!
Yesterday was only the second day of Open Door being open on Constantia Uitsig, but it felt as if it had always been there, with everything running smoothly. Open Door is the third restaurant of co-owners Neil Grant and Barry Engelbrecht, alongside Burrata and Bocca, and serves country fare.
Previously the home to The River Café on the wine estate, with a tasting room on the side which has moved across the driveway, the space of Open Door is large, being able to seat 250 patrons at full capacity, in different sections. One enters around the corner, and no longer at the former tasting room entrance. The main restaurant room is spacious, with a gas fireplace to come at the one end, and an open kitchen on the other end, with the bar close to the kitchen section, opposite of which is Neil’s precious wine collection, looking smaller than that of Burrata, but is not, Continue reading →
Rate of restaurant openings and chef changes slows down in Cape Town and Winelands, as winter approaches!
Winter is on the way, and the rate of new restaurant openings has slowed down dramatically, as has the move of chefs between restaurants, which was dramatic in 2014. This list of restaurant openings and closings and restaurant staff movements is updated continuously, as we receive new information:
* Bertus Basson at Spice Route has opened as a ‘modern South African restaurant‘ at Spice Route, the kitchen run by Chef Alistair Lawrence, previously from Roots and Overture (photograph).
* Bacon on Bree has opened at 217 Bree Street, a bacon-inspired restaurant by charcuterier Richard Bosman and Continue reading →