Last night Chef Jenny Morris launched her latest cookbook ‘Yumcious by Jenny Morris’, at her newest Yumcious Café, in Durbanville. Her cookbook cover is as colorful as she is! Continue reading →
It was at a chance meeting with Jamie Friedberg at sans in Sea Point a week ago, that she told me about their new restaurant, that led me to Between Us on Bree Street on Friday. It serves the best scrambled eggs I have ever tasted, has a quirky interior, and a beautiful setting, looking onto Table Mountain from its deck. The restaurant opened three months ago. Continue reading →
Yesterday I attended the launch of Yumcious Café in the DeVille Centre in Durbanville, the second restaurant of Chef Jenny Morris, her first one being the very successful Yumcious Café in the Cape Quarter. Continue reading →
Yuppiechef was an innovative online business focused on the home cook, launching this unique service eleven years ago. Now the online retailer is making a move into traditional retail, opening a store at Willowbridge in Durbanville on 1 October. Continue reading →
At the presentation of the 2016 FNB Sauvignon Blanc Top 10 awards at Nooitgedacht outside Stellenbosch on Friday, it was announced that eight out of the Top 20 Sauvignon Blancs come from Elgin and Durbanville.
Continue reading →
Invited guests included the Top 20 Finalists for the awards, and tasting tables had been set up to allow the twenty Finalist wines to be tasted. No one knew who would make the Top 10 list. A shelf had been set up to display all top twenty Continue reading →
Yesterday the second Standard Bank Chenin Blanc Top 10 Challenge was held at the Cape Grace, with the Top 10 Chenin Blancs selected out of a total of 145 wines entered. The banner in the pre-lunch venue summarized the stature of Chenin Blanc, with the pay-off line ‘A South African National Treasure‘!
Canapés of pastry cases with salmon and hollandaise sauce were served with Sparklehorse Chenin Blanc MCC made by Ken Forrester Wines. Ken Forrester is the Chairman of the Continue reading →
* Chef Luke Dale-Roberts of The Test Kitchen has traveled to London, to attend the World’s 50 Best Restaurants Awards, which will be awarded tonight. It is a sure sign that he will win a Top 50 world restaurant ranking. (received via media release from Manley Communications)
* Chef Dylan Laity of The Roundhouse is the guest chef at the secret [spasie] dinner held tonight and tomorrow night at 97 Continue reading →
* Kfm news reports that the fire caused by lightning in Cape Point Nature Reserve yesterday has flared up again, threatening that area.
* Distell is launching Nederburg Heritage Heroes in the UK, including The Motocycle (sic) Marvel, The Brew Master, The Young Airhawk, The Anchorman, and The Beautiful Lady. The wine range is being targeted at fine-dining restaurants.
* The wine industry is committing to exporting more of our wines in bottles rather than in Continue reading →
I have not been to Nitida wine estate in Durbanville in a long time, nor to its Cassia restaurant. As the FNB Top 10 Sauvignon Blanc awards were held at the wine estate, it was a good opportunity to revisit, and to experience the new function venue, which comfortably seated 120 guests for lunch yesterday.
Invited guests included two representatives each of the FNB Sauvignon Blanc Top 20 shortlist, writers, and FNB staff as well as their clients. Prior to the lunch, each of the 20 Sauvignon Blanc producers manned a tasting table, and provided information, making it a good opportunity to rub shoulders with other guests. Continue reading →