For a number of years I have attended the Chenin Blanc Top 10 Challenge, sponsored by Standard Bank, but had to decline the awards earlier this week, held at Delaire Graff, due to travel. I received the media release, announcing the Top 10 Chenin Blanc wines. Continue reading →
A number of records were broken last night when 94 wines and one brandy were awarded 5 star status at the launch of the Platter’s by Diners Club South African Wine Guide 2017 at the Table Bay Hotel, a new venue, the event having been held at the Mount Nelson for years. The colour of the 2017 Platter’s Guide is Harvest Green. Continue reading →
In one of the top coups in the wine industry, Benguela Cove Lagoon Wine Estate has announced the appointment of award-winning Johann Fourie as its head winemaker. Johann left the KWV last week, where he and his team reaped numerous industry awards.
Yesterday I attended the Chenin Blanc Showcase at the Cape Grace Hotel, a presentation of 44 wines segmented into six categories. Continue reading →
Twelve out of sixty invited Cabernet Sauvignon wines were judged to be the best in our country, scoring 90 or more out of 100 points in Winemag’s Prescient Cabernet Sauvignon Report 2016, the top wines recognised at a function held at the MOMA Gallery in Bo-Kaap on Thursday.
*. Wesgro is inviting investors to capitalize on the depreciation of the Rand in investing in the Western Cape, and to buy exported products from the province. Wesgro CEO Tim Harris said that the province’s skilled workforce would offer investors better value for money. Investors would benefit from the lower costs created by the weaker Rand in setting Continue reading →
At a function in the lovely Bar of the newly opened De Warenmarkt in Stellenbosch Mvemve Raats De Compostella 2013 was named the overall winner of the inaugural RisCura Red Hot Wine Awards for Bordeaux-style red blends.
Bordeaux-style red blends tend to have the ability to mature in the bottle for many years, most commonly contain Cabernet Sauvignon and Merlot in the blend, but often Cabernet Franc, Malbec, and Petit Verdot form part Continue reading →
* KWV has been named the Best Brandy and Cognac Producers in the World in the 2015 International Spirits Challenge held in London yesterday. It is the first time in the 20-year history of the Challenge that a brandy has outperformed a cognac. The 20 year-old KWV brandy was also named Best Brandy in the World, and Grand Continue reading →
* Chef Luke Dale-Roberts of The Test Kitchen has traveled to London, to attend the World’s 50 Best Restaurants Awards, which will be awarded tonight. It is a sure sign that he will win a Top 50 world restaurant ranking. (received via media release from Manley Communications)
* Chef Dylan Laity of The Roundhouse is the guest chef at the secret [spasie] dinner held tonight and tomorrow night at 97 Continue reading →
* Only two South African hotels have made the Conde Nast Traveler list of 60 Hot Hotels, on the basis of ‘Good Food’. This is a surprise award for the Mont Rochelle Hotel & Vineyard (now owned by Sir Richard Branson, but not much is new or ‘hot’ in this restaurant, having the same chef and waitron staff since he took over!). The Four Seasons Hotel The Westcliff has also made the list in this category, with a chef unknown to most.
* Travel agents and tour operators are no longer marketing South Africa as a destination due to the new Continue reading →