We are delighted that many restaurants in Cape Town and the Winelands have seen the benefit of offering specials, and are continuing to do so. The Spring/Summer 2011/2012 specials for Cape Town and Winelands restaurants follow below, and will be updated continuously:
* Pure at Hout Bay Manor: 3-course dinner for R 220. Summer. Tel (021) 790-0116.
* Pepenero in Mouille Point : sirloin and chips R79, seafood platter R 129, 1 kg prawn platter R99, oysters R9 each, sushi platter R109. Half price sushi all day. Indefinite. Tel (021) 439-9027
* Sinn’s Restaurant at Wembley Square: Lunch (6 options) at R50. 3-course dinner with glass of wine R150. Summer. Tel (021) 465-0967
* Theo’s on Beach Road, Mouille Point: Oysters R 8 each, 15 prawns R99, line fish R99, 250 gm Sirloin steak. Kingklip and 6 prawns R125. 250g Sirloin steak and 6 prawns R125. 250g Lobster and 6 prawns R159. Summer. Tel (021) 439-3494.
* Sevruga in the V&A Waterfront: half price sushi Monday – Saturday 12 – 6 pm; 25 % off sushi Sunday 12 – 2pm, 50 % off Sunday 2 – 6 pm, 3-course menu R160, daily, lunch and dinner; 2-course lunch R120. Summer. Tel (021) 421-5134
* Beluga, The Foundry, Green Point: 1 kg Prawns R130, 50 % off sushi and cocktails all day Sunday, and from 12h00 – 19h00 weekdays. 2-course lunch R120; 3-course lunch and dinner R160. Summer. Tel (021) 418-2948.
* La Mouette, Regent Road, Sea Point : 6-course Tasting Menu R 165, with wines paired R 330. Monday – Sunday dinner, Friday and Saturday lunch. April. Tel (021) 433-0856
* Bertha’s in Simonstown: 1 kg Queen prawns cost R99 each, 1kg mussels R99, 1 kg chicken wings R99, full rack of ribs plus chips R99. Half rack of ribs R59. Summer. Tel (021) 786-2138
* Aubergine: 2-course lunch R198, 3-course lunch R254, Wednesdays – Fridays. Monday – Saturdays except public holidays. Daily dinner specials. 3-course R375, 4-course R455, 5-course R565 degustation menu. Summer. Tel (021) 465-4909
* Ferryman’s Tavern, V&A Waterfront: Buffet plus Castle draught weekday lunch, R65. Sunday roast R 55 Indefinite. Tel (021) 419-7748
* Hildebrand: 2 courses R99, 3 courses R130 if eat before 19h00; Summer. Tel (021) 425-3385
* Leaf Restaurant and Bar: 50 % off sushi all day, Dimsum 30 % off, Burgers R50 – R65. Summer. Tel (021) 418-4500
* Blowfish in Blouberg: half-price sushi Wednesday 5 – 8 pm; Eat all you can sushi Sunday 5-10 pm R149. Summer. Tel (021) 556-5464
* Vanilla, Cape Quarter: Half price sushi 12h00 – 17h00 Daily. Summer. Tel (021) 421-1391
* Knife restaurant, Century City: Bagel R35; Salad R45; Rib, meatball, chicken wing and chip platter R60, all specials include a beer/glass of wine/colddrink and coffee. Lunch special, 12h00 – 15h00, Mondays – Fridays. Indefinite. Tel (021) 551-5000
* Saul’s Sushi @ Vegas, Sea Point: Eat as much sushi as you like for R115 Mondays and Tuesdays, 30 piece sushi platter R50 – Wednesdays and Thursdays; two for the price of one – Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Indefinite. Tel 087 151 4595
* Trees Restaurant, Townhouse Hotel, Cape Town: 2 courses R 95, 3 courses R 130. Indefinite. Tel (021) 465-7050
* Down South Food Bar, 267 Long Street: Platter of ribs, chicken wings, prawns, chips, corn, sauce for R190 for two persons. Indefinite. Tel (021) 422-1155.
* Cape Town Fish Market, V&A: “All you can eat Breakfast Buffet” R 60, Saturdays, Sundays, and public holidays; Seafood lunch buffet R125, Sundays and public holidays. Indefinite. Tel (021) 418-5977
* Trinity, Bennett Street: All you can eat rib R99 Mondays ; 2 Pizzas and 2 glasses of wine R99 Monday – Thursday from 12 pm; I/2 price sushi, cocktails and tapas Monday – Thursday 16h00 – 22h00. Summer. Tel (021) 418-0624
* French Toast, Bree Street: Bruschetta tapas free Monday – Saturdays, 5 – 7 pm. All wines costing R 400 or less half price on Mondays. 2-course lunch consisting of soup and choice of two tapas plus glass of wine or cup of coffee R89, Monday – Friday 12h00 – 16h00. Summer. Tel (021) 422-3839.
* The Square, Vineyard Hotel, Newlands: 5 courses paired menu R 195. Dinner only, Monday – Sunday. Summer. Tel ()21) 657-4500
* Dunes, Hout Bay : Sunday buffet with smoked salmon, oysters and cooked breakfast R100. Summer. Tel (021) 790-1876
* Arnold’s on Kloof, 60 Kloof Street, Gardens: Early bird breakfast half-price special if order before 7h00. Gemsbok Wellington R115, Vegetable stack Napoleon R68, Summer salad R55, Chicken schnitzel R69, Seafood platter R150, Crocodile loin R159. Tel (021) 424-4344. Summer.
* Five Flies, 2-course meal plus glass of wine R100, book on website www.fiveflies.co.za. Current. Tel (021) 424-4442
* Balducci’s, V&A Waterfront: Alfresco Lunch specials – soup and salad R89, fish R89, calamari R89, seafood platter for two R245, Steak Roll and chips R85, Steak and chips R99, Burgers R55 – R75, Glass of wine R27, bottle of wine R99, open sandwiches R64 – R86. Daily 12h00 – 16h00. Summer. Tel (021) 421-6002
* Codfather, Camps Bay: half-price sushi 12h00 – 18h00, daily. Indefinite. Tel (021) 438-0782
* Black Marlin, Simonstown: 2-course meal R115, 3-course R140 includes glass of wine. Indefinite. Tel (021) 786-1621
* Cape Town Fish Market, Big Bay, V&A Waterfront, Canal Walk, Tyger Valley, Somerset West, Stellenbosch, Tokai, Grand West Casino: “All you can eat Breakfast Buffet” R60, Saturdays, Sundays and public holidays; 4-course Seafood buffet lunch R125, Sundays and public holidays. Buy one, get one free – hake on Mondays, sushi on Tuesdays, calamari on Wednesdays. Indefinite. Tel (021) 554-5962.
* La Bruixa, Sea Point: Seafood paella for two for R260, includes a salad. Summer. Tel (021) 434-8797
* La Boheme, Sea Point: 2-courses R95, 3-courses R 120. Summer. Tel (021) 434-8797.
* The Round House, Camps Bay: 4-course a la carte menu R450, 7-course set tasting menu R595. Summer. Tel (021) 438-4347
* Planet Restaurant, Mount Nelson Hotel: 6-course Vegan Journey menu R300 (R380 from 15/9), 4-course The Journey menu R220 (R255 from 15/9 – 15/11), 6-course The Journey menu R380. Summer. Tel (021) 483-1000.
* Café Manhattan, 74 Waterkant Street: Burger and a glass of wine R45. Indefinite. Tel (021) 421-6666
* Pepper Club on the Beach, Camps Bay: 6 oysters plus bubbly R 110, Shrimp cocktail and Avo Ritz R55, Prawn platter R 125, Grilled Portuguese sardines R45, Smoked salmon trout and asparagus R85, East Coast sole R110, Lamb rib R95, Rib-eye steak R115. Summer. Tel (021) 438-3174
* Savour Restaurant, Sunday Lunch Buffet plus ‘never-ending supply of Methodé Cap Classique’ R265. Summer. Tel (021) 469-8037
* La Colombe, Constantia: 6-courses R 600, or with wine R800, Monday – Saturday, Summer. Tel (021) 794-2390
* Catharina’s, Steenberg Hotel: 2-course lunch R185, 3-course lunch R215, 3-course dinner R250. Summer. Tel (021) 713-2222
* Constantia Uitsig: 3-course lunch and dinner R390, Monday – Saturday. Summer. Tel (021) 794-4480
* Rick’s Café Américain, Park Road: 1/2 litre Paulaner, Erdinger and Valentins beer R 32, 5 – 7 pm; Lunch specials from R45; and more specials on drinks. Indefinite. Tel (021) 424-1100
* Barocca, Camps Bay Club: 2 for the price of one burgers Tuesday evenings; Pasta and a glass of wine R50 Thursday evenings. From 5 pm. Indefinite. Tel (021) 438-1992
* Seaforth Restaurant, Simonstown: Deep fried prawns R90 Tuesdays; hake and chips R38 Wednesdays; Eat as much calamari as you like R49 Thursdays; Steak and calamari R78 Fridays; Eat as much as you like pork spare ribs R88 Saturdays. From 6 pm. Indefinite. Tel (021) 786-4810
* Pizzeria Villagio, Howard Centre, Pinelands: Free glass of Teddy Hall wine with home-made pasta on Tuesdays. Indefinite. Tel (021) 531-4473.
* Adega, Sea Point: 1kg King Prawns R119. Indefinite. Tel (021) 434-3029
* Addis in Cape Ethiopian Restaurant, 41 Church Street: 2-course set menu R130. Tel (021) 424-5722. Indefinite.
* Azure Restaurant, Twelve Apostles Hotel, Camps Bay (photograph above): 5-courses R315 includes movie and popcorn, Summer. Tel (021) 437-9000
* Diva Pizza, Buitenkant Street: 2 large margherita pizzas with choice of two toppings R85. Indefinite. Tel (021) 461-0013
* Tokyo Restaurant & Sushi Bar: Buy one get one free daily until 5pm; Sushi Buffet Wednesdays, Fridays and Saturday evenings R110. Indefinite. Tel (021) 424-5108.
* OYO, V&A Hotel, Waterfront: Crayfish Special, 500 g R195. Summer. Tel (021) 419-6677.
** BlueFin Seafood & Sushi, Plattekloof: 50 % off sushi 10h00 – 15h00; ‘Eat as much a you like’ Sushi R129; Monday – Sunday. Tel (021) 558-4281
* Rhapsody’s, Green Point: 50 % off sushi daily from 12h00 – 18h00. Summer. Tel (021) 434-3004
* Reuben’s, One&Only Cape Town, V&A Waterfront: One&Only Seafood Platter for Two R 995. Summer. Tel (021) 431-5888
* Bayside Café, Camps Bay: Order two main courses, and second person gets lower priced dish free, senior citizens only. Until 30 April. Tel (021) 438-2560.
* Café Chameleon, Plattekloof: Beer-battered hake and calamari with a glass of wine/beer/juice R69. Until 31 March. Monday – Friday lunch special of small pizza R 45. Monday and Saturday dinner large pizza special R55. Ongoing. Tel (021) 911-1025
* Taiwan City Chinese Cuisine, Century City: 3 courses for 2 persons for R175. Until 30 June. Tel (021) 555-3081
* Myoga, Vineyard Hotel, Newlands: 7-course dinner R 225. Until April. Tel (021) 657-4545.
* Zorba’s, Lagoon Beach: Seafood and meat platter for 2 R220. Lunch and dinner daily (not valid Saturday lunch). Tel (021) 528-2093
* Saints on 84 Kloof Street: Bottomless sodas with every meal; 2 flatbreads for price of one on Mondays; 2 burgers for the price of one on Thursday evenings; Craft beer on tap R20 for a pint. Current. Tel (021) 424-0030
* Den Anker, V&A Waterfront: Vol au vent with Vedett white beer R 85. Until October. Tel (021) 419-0249
* F.east, Loop Street: chicken or vegetable curry lunch special R59. Current. Tel (021) 424-5903.
* Sinatra’s at The Pepper Club Hotel has a business lunch special of R50 for a meal ordered, served and eaten in 50 minutes, or you get your money back. Monday – Friday. Current. Tel (021) 812-8888.
* Allee Bleue, outside Franschhoek: choice of three 250g steaks at R115, including a glass of estate wine, current. Lunch, Wednesday – Sunday. Chicnic picnics daily (weather depending), R145 per person. Summer Tel (021) 874-1021
* Allora in Franschhoek: 3-course Sunday lunch R99 all year. Daily lunch specials Monday – Saturday under R100. Until end April. Tel (021) 876-4375.
* L’ermitage, Franschhoek: 3-courses R185 and a glass of wine. Lunch. Summer. Tel (021) 876-9200
* Grande Provence Jonkershuis, Franschhoek: 4-course lunch and dinner chef’s table, minimum 8 guests, R 320. Monday – Saturday dinner, Monday – Sunday lunch. Summer. Tel (021) 876-8600
* Monneaux Restaurant, Franschhoek Country House: 3-course tasting menu Lunch with wine R 200, Monday – Sunday. Summer. Tel (021) 876-3386
* Mange Tout, Mont Rochelle Hotel, Franschhoek: 2-courses R230, 3-courses R280. Summer. Tel (021) 876-3000.
* La Residence, Franschhoek: 2 courses R 380, 3 courses R 490, 4 courses R 600 per person, all inclusive of ‘house wines’ and local beverages. Dinner. Daily. Summer. Tel (021) 876-4100
* Grande Provence, Franschhoek: Chef’s Table, 3-course meal for a minimum of eight guests, R 250 per person. 1 May – 30 September. Tel (021) 876-8600.
* Bosman’s, Grande Roche, Paarl: 2-courses R120, 3-courses R155. Monday – Sunday lunch. Until April . Tel (021) 863-5100.
* Towerbosch Restaurant, Knorhoek Wine Estate, Stellenbosch: Asado Argentian-style braai on Sundays R165. Indefinite. Tel (021) 865-2958
* Tokara Restaurant, Stellenbosch: Chef’s Menu – 8 courses, inclusive of amuse bouche and palate cleanser R 450. Summer. Tuesday – Sunday lunch, Tuesday – Saturday dinner. Tel (021) 885-2550
* Wild Peacock Food Emporium, 32 Piet Retief Str, Stellenbosch: Specials as per menu, dinner Wednesday and Friday evenings. Indefinite. Tel (021) 887-7585
* Johan’s at Longridge, Stellenbosch: 6-course lunch and dinner plus 6 glasses of wine R 400. Friday – Tuesday (closed Wednesdays and Thursdays). Summer. Tel (021) 855-2004.
* Clos Malverne, Stellenbosch: 60 Minute Business Lunch, R58 – R108. Tuesday – Friday. Tel (021) 865-2022
* Lord Neethling Restaurant, Neethlingshof, Stellenbosch: choice of 6 main courses R115, Sunday buffet lunch R150. Tel (021) 883-8966.
* Season in Hermanus: Pork roast R66, 3-courses R 125 Sunday lunch; Hake and calamari platter R55, Thursday lunch and dinner. Summer. Tel (028) 316-2854
* The Class Room, Hermanus: 3-course Sunday lunch R130. 6-course dinner R150 Wednesday – Saturday evenings. April. Tel (028) 316-3582
* Rossi’s Italian Restaurant, Hermanus: Small Pizza R38/R45, Lunch Mondays – Thursdays; Indefinite. Tel (028) 312-2848
* Grilleri, Hermanus : Decreased prices, Tuesday – Sunday evenings, Sunday lunch. Summer. Tel (028) 313-1685
* Nguni: Friday night special R50. Tel (044) 533-6710
Chris von Ulmenstein, Whale Cottage Portfolio: www.whalecottage.com Twitter: @WhaleCottage
Copyright: Whale Cottage Portfolio