The most coveted 2019 Diners Club Winelist Award, its Icon Award, recognising restaurants that meet all the requirements of a Diamond Award, but also feature an extensive collection of international wines, as well as Reserve and vintage wines, having a sommelier on the floor, and having ‘a deep interest in wine curation’, were awarded to Restaurant Mosaic at the Orient Boutique Hotel in Pretoria, and the Saxon Hotel Villas & Spa in Johannesburg. This is the second year that the Icon Awards have been presented, to both restaurants. Continue reading →
I had the misfortune to experience Dubai under less than perfect conditions, and with it Emirates airline, which once was the best airline in the world (now dropped to number four, as rated by Skytrax)! A City Tour by Sun Tours helped to restore my appreciation for what Dubai has to offer! Continue reading →
I have rarely written about my personal life on my Blog in the past eight years, but as a public service warning to women from the age of 50 upwards, and my widowed and divorced Facebook friends in this age group in particular, I want to share my internet dating experiences over the last three months. Continue reading →
Last night KWV was crowned as the king of the wine industry for the fifth year running, winning 5 Double Gold and 9 Gold Awards for its wines, more than any other winemaker. Nederburg (2 Double Golds and 11 Gold Awards) and Spier (2 Double Golds and 8 Gold Awards) followed in second and third place, respectively, awarded at one of the highlights of the wine industry, a function attended by about 400 wine industry staff and media, with their partners. Kanonkop won the Best Performance by Entry title for 10 wines or fewer entered, while KWV won the title for more than 10 wines entered. A total of 57 Double Gold, 157 Gold, 473 Silver, and 662 Bronze medals was awarded. A mix of local and international judges evaluated the entries.
Not only were the wines with their winemakers and related staff celebrated, so too was the 25th anniversary of the Veritas Awards. The highlight of the evening for me was seeing how many women Continue reading →
Last night (7 September) the American Express Platinum Fine Dining Awards 2016 were presented for Cape Town, the Winelands, and the Garden Route at The Watershed in the V&A Waterfront, a total of 31 awards presented. Last night (14 September) the Gauteng and KwaZulu-Natal awards were presented at Katy’s Palace Bar in Johannesburg.
Interesting announcements made during the evening in Cape Town appear to indicate that the Platinum Taste Awards (new name from next year) will take Eat Out head on next year! At the awards event, the name change for next year was announced, as was that the Platinum Taste Awards will introduce seven award categories. It is no longer a criterion for a restaurant to accept Continue reading →
* Is it the right thing for Tourism Minister Derek Hanekom to feature in an ‘advertorial’ for Uber, (boringly) showing him booking his ride via phone in his Parliamentary office, and then being driven to the Cape Town International Convention Centre, where he addressed the eTourism Africa Summit as keynote speaker?
* Graham Beck Blanc de Blancs 2009 has won World Champion Cap Classique, Best in its Class, as well as Gold in the 2014 Champagne and Sparkling Wine World Championships in London, with 650 wines from 16 countries evaluated. Klein Constantia MCC Brut 2011 won Gold too, while Simonsig Cap Classique Kaapse Vonkel 2010 won Silver. A total of 185 wines won a Gold or Silver medal.
* Yuppiechef.com has been named the Best eCommerce Store in South Africa for the fifth year running, winning ahead of Continue reading →
* The Eat Out Gala Dinner, at which the country’s Top 10 Restaurants will be announced, will be held at Thunder City on 16 November. Mercedes-Benz is the new title sponsor of the Awards.
* The charity ‘Chefs who Share’ dinner, to be held in the City Hall on 11 September, will have seven pairs of top local chefs cooking for guests, each team paired with a local sommelier as well as an international Michelin star chef. The international chefs are Gerd Kastenmeier from Kastenmeier Dresden, Alfred Miller from Wirtshaus Schöneck Innsbruck, Andreas Meyer from Schloss Prielau, Christoph Geschwendtner from Schlosshotel Fiss, Anton Schmaus from Restaurant Storstad, Bernard Reiser from Restaurant Würzburg, and Christian Grainer from Christian’s Restaurant. (received via media release from Amplicon PR)
* Table Bay Boulevard is to be named after former President FW de Klerk, it has been recommended by the City of Cape Town’s Naming Committee, subject to a public participation process. The recommendation has been supported by Premier Helen Zille and former Archbishop Desmond Tutu.
* Huffington Post’s Travel Blog interviewed Chef Luke Dale-Roberts of Eat Out top restaurant Continue reading →
Once again the Western Cape has shown that it is the country’s culinary champion in its performance in and dominance of the 2014 American Express® Platinum Fine Dining Awards, which were awarded in Johannesburg last week, and in Cape Town on Monday evening. Of 95 award winning restaurants in the 16th year of review, 43 are from the Western Cape, 35 from Gauteng, 9 from KwaZulu Natal, and another eight from other provinces.
Evaluated by a judging panel consisting of Anna Trapido (previous Eat Out Top 10 Restaurant judge) and Victor Strugo, under the chairmanship of Tamsin Snyman, the Award-winning restaurants had to meet the criteria of offering ‘culinary excellence to discerning diners’. Eligibility for Continue reading →
* Il Cappero, Camps Bay: 6-course dinner and glass of Prosecco R350. Tel (021) 438-7074
* Planet Restaurant, Mount Nelson Hotel : 5-course menu R910. Tel (021) 483-1000
* Oasis Bistro, Mount Nelson Hotel: Buffet R650. Tel (021) 483-1000
* Tobago’s, Raddison Blu: 3-course R450. Tel (021) 441-3000
* The Franschhoek Kitchen, Holden Manz, Franschhoek: 3 courses R375. Tel (021) 876-2729
Christmas Day lunch
* The Square Restaurant, Vineyard Hotel: 3-course lunch R 415. Tel (021) 657-4500
* Azure Restaurant, Twelve Apostles Hotel: Buffet lunch, party hats, gift, crackers R945. Tel (021) 437-9052 (sold out)
* The Pavilion at The Marine, Marine Hotel, Hermanus: welcome drink, canapés, Christmas lunch, petit fours R 595. Tel (028) 313-1000
* Il Cappero, Camps Bay: 6-course lunch with glass of Prosecco R350 Tel (021) 438-7074
* Planet Restaurant, Mount Nelson hotel: 5-course lunch R 950. Tel (021) 483-1000
* Ballroom, Mount Nelson hotel: Buffet R700. Tel (021) 483-1000
* 1800° Restaurant, Cape Royale Luxury Hotel, Green Point: Christmas Lunch Buffet R320. Tel (021) 430-0506.
* Tobago’s, Radisson Blu: Buffet R595. Tel (021) 441-3000
* Le Franschhoek hotel, Franschhoek: Buffet R 395. Tel (021) 876-8900
* Le Coq Restaurant & Sushi Bar, Franschhoek: 3 courses R240. Tel (021) 876-4404
* The Franschhoek Kitchen, Holden Manz, Franschhoek: 3 courses R375. Tel ()21) 876-2729
New Year’s Eve
* Café Chic: 6-course dinner R485. Tel (021) 465-7218
* Il Cappero, Camps Bay: 8-course dinner and glass of Prosecco R 450. Tel (021) 438-7074
* Blues, Camps Bay: 4-course dinner, DJ, and unlimited bubbly R1700 Tel (021) 438-2040
* Zenzero, Camps Bay: 3-course dinner and welcome drink R 1000. Tel (021) 438-0007
* Hussar Grill, Camps Bay: 4-courses R475. Tel (021) 438-0151
* Azure at Twelve Apostles Hotel, Camps Bay: Buffet and live music R 1895. Tel ()21) 437-9000
* The Conservatory at The Cellars-Hohenhort, R750. Tel (021) 794-2137
* Constantia Uitsig: 5-course dinner R 850. Tel (021) 794-4480
* Five Flies: 4-course menu, masked ball, and sparkling wine R600. Tel (021) 424-4442
* The Greenhouse, Cellars-Hohenhort, Constantia: 9-course dinner R950, or R1250 with wine. Tel (021) 794-2137
* La Colombe, Constantia: 5-course dinner, DJ, sparkling wine at midnight R1600. Tel (021) 794-2390
* La Mouette, Sea Point: 5-course meal and glass of sparkling wine R795. Tel (021) 433-0856
* 1800° Restaurant, Green Point: 6-course dinner, and entrance to the VIP Sky Bar R1200. Tel (021) 430-0506
* Myoga, Vineyard Hotel, Newlands: 7-course meal at R850. Tel (021) 657-4545
* Nobu, One&Only Cape Town, V&A Waterfront: 8-course dinner and band R2250. Tel (021) 431-5222
* Orinoco: 3-course dinner, ‘Sixties’ theme, DJ, welcome cocktail, canapés, glass of sparkling wine R600. Tel (021) 418-4544
* Reuben’s at One&Only Cape Town: 5-course dinner and band R1750. Tel (021) 431-5222
* The Roundhouse, Camps Bay: 3-course dinner, live music and DJ, sparkling wine R1650. Tel (021) 438-4347
* Salt Restaurant, Ambassador Hotel: 8-course tasting menu, glass of sparkling wine, band R995. Tel (021) 439-7258
* Savoy Cabbage: Canapés, Christmas cocktail, gala dinner R995. Tel (021) 424-2626
* Signal, Cape Grace hotel, V&A Waterfront: 4-course dinnerR1950. Tel (021) 410-7100
* The Table Bay Hotel, V&A Waterfront: cocktail reception, Buffet dinner, sparkling wine R2100. Tel (021) 406-5000
* Tjing Tjing Bar, Dear Me: entrance fee, food, and party R300. Tel (021) 422-4920
* The Boat House, Scarborough: 5-course dinner and sparkling wine R980. Transfer R500 pp. Tel 083 305 8533
* Massimo’s, Hout Bay: Welcome drink, 4 course dinner R425. Tel (021) 790-5645
* GOLD: Cocktail on arrival, drumming, live music, ‘African Feast’, bubbly R1100. Tel (021) 421-4653
* Makaron, Majeka House, Stellenbosch: 4-course dinner R625. Tel (021) 880-1549
* Moyo, Spier, Stellenbosch: Welcome drink, 3-course meal, R495. Tel (021) 809-1133
* Restaurant at Clos Malverne, Stellenbosch: 8-course food and wine pairing R468. Tel (021) 865-2022
* Tokara, Stellenbosch: 8-course dinner R950. Tel (021) 885-2550
* Eat @ Simonsig, Paarl: Live band, 3-courses, bubbly at midnight R275. Tel (021) 863-3845.
* The Restaurant at Grande Provence, Franschhoek: Welcome drink and midnight glass of sparkling wine as well as dancing, 7-course dinner R790. Tel (021) 876-8600
* The Kitchen, Maison, Franschhoek: 8 courses, each paired with a Maison Estate wine, R950. Tel (021) 876-2116.
* Reuben’s, Franschhoek: 6-course dinner R1200. Tel (021) 876-3772
* Le Coq Restaurant & Sushi Bar, Franschhoek: 3 courses and a glass of sparkling wine R280. Tel (021) 876-4404
* The Restaurant at Waterkloof, Somerset West: 6-course meal R650, or R825 with wine. Tel (021) 858-1292
* The Pavilion at The Marine, Marine Hotel, Hermanus: Canapés, welcome drink, 6-course menu, R1150. Tel (028) 313-1000
Chris von Ulmenstein, Whale Cottage Portfolio: www.whalecottage.com Twitter: @WhaleCottage
The Awards recognise ‘quality and creativity of cuisine, service, wine list, décor, and ambiance as well as overall excellence’, reports Food24. Acceptance of American Express credit cards is a requirement. Judges were Victor Strugo and Anna Trapido from Johannesburg, and Tamsin Snyman from Cape Town, a similar team judging the South African entries for the World’s 50 Best Restaurants.
Twelve first-time winners of an American Express Platinum Fine Dining award include Azure at the Twelve Apostles Hotel and Bombay Brasserie in the Taj hotel in Cape Town; The Kurland Hotel Restaurant in Plettenberg Bay; DW11-13 in Johannesburg; and Ninth Avenue Bistro in Durban.
Western Cape winners of American Express Platinum Fine Dining Awards are the following: Aubergine, Azure, Bistro Sixteen82, Bombay Brasserie, Buitenverwachting, Bukhara in Burg Street, Catharina’s at Steenberg, Constantia Uitsig, The Foodbarn, Gold, The Greenhouse, Haiku, Il Leone, La Colombe, Nobu, Planet Restaurant, The Roundhouse, Savoy Cabbage, 96 Winery Road, Boschendal, Bosman’s, Bread & Wine, Fraai Uitzicht 1798, Grande Provence (photograph), Jardine at Jordan, Mimosa Lodge, Overture, The Pavilion at The Marine hotel, Pierneef à La Motte, Reuben’s in Franschhoek, Seafood at the Marine hotel, The Tasting Room at Le Quartier Français, La Locanda in George, Kurland Hotel Restaurant, Sand at The Plettenberg hotel, Zinzi at Tsala in Plettenberg Bay, Serendipity in Wilderness, Trans Karoo in Great Brak, Pembreys, Zacharays at Pezula, and Kalinka Karoo Cuisine.
Obvious exclusions from the list, probably due to not accepting Amex credit cards, are The Test Kitchen, Tokara, Delaire Graff, Terroir, Babylonstoren, Waterkloof, Makaron Restaurant, and Rust en Vrede.
The list is an interesting mix of top restaurants in the running for Eat Out Top 10 Restaurant Awards, some one wonders about having made the list, and some one has never heard of before.
Chris von Ulmenstein, Whale Cottage Portfolio : www.whalecottage.com Twitter: @WhaleCottage