Earlier this week I visited the Jackie Cameron School of Food & Wine in Hilton, and I was delighted to meet the School’s second intake of twelve chef students, and to see how Chef Jackie Cameron and her School is flourishing. Continue reading →
Michalak pâtisserie came highly recommended by Foxcroft Chef Glen Williams for top pâtisseries to visit in Paris. It has a modern and funky feel, and I got the feeling that its owner Chef Christophe Michalak has had fun in creating his Michalak pâtisserie range. Continue reading →
Recently Penguin Random Struik had a copy of Chef Jackie Cameron’s new ‘Baking with Jackie Cameron’ Baking book delivered to my home, jam-packed with 80 recipes of her favorite cakes, puddings, pies, and desserts. Continue reading →
The first restaurants are sending out their Winter Specials information, summarised below. The list is updated continuously. Please do not copy and paste our list. We welcome information about new specials:
* Umi in Camps Bay: 2 course set menu R200, 3 courses R240. Beef shortrib R120, fish & fries R80, Tataki Beef R75, sweet potato parcels R50, pork belly R130, and sticky chicken wings Tebaski R65. Half price sushi. Cocktails R40 Tel (021) 437-1802 (added 14/5/16) Continue reading →
Last night I attended a Communal Dinner at Salushi Asian restaurant in Claremont, the first trial dinner to which 20 writers had been invited. They will be held every Wednesday evening, and are called #WolftrapWednesdays, the wine being sponsored by Boekenhoutskloof’ Winery’s The Wolftrap.
Coming from the other side of the mountain, I struggled to find Salushi, which I could not see from Protea Road, being set back. Continue reading →
I spent eight days in KwaZulu-Natal (KZN) last week, in search of the perfect food experience, in a province I had last visited about ten years ago to attend Indaba, and the well-known Midlands area, which I had last visited more than 25 years ago.
The encouragement to visit the province was made more than a year ago by Chef Jackie Cameron, who is the most passionate proudly-KZNer I encountered on my journey, making it her business to support KZN produce, from the Midlands in particular, in using and in marketing it at every opportunity. Jackie has put KZN on the food and restaurant map over the past twelve years that she worked at Hartford House, making the Eat Out Top 10 Continue reading →
I was privileged to spend a part of yesterday at the Jackie Cameron School of Food & Wine outside Hilton, where former Eat Out Top 10 Chef Jackie Cameron has been teaching and training a handful of chefs since April to enter the restaurant industry through an 18 month theoretical and practical course.
Chef Jackie showed me around her School, and expressed gratitude to Continue reading →
* The Western Cape government is calling for nominations for the 2015 Entrepreneurship Recognition Awards, to recognize the province’s top entrepreneurs.
* Starbucks has announced that it is to open outlets across our Continue reading →
* The 8th Taste of Cape Town started cooking today, running until Sunday. It is being held at the Green Point Cricket Club near the Cape Town Stadium. Restaurants represented are Camissa at Table Bay Hotel, Beluga, Longridge, 96 Winery Road, Hemelhuijs, Cosecha at Noble Hill, Azure at The Twelve Apostles, Don Armando, Jewel of India, Kitima, Ernie Els Wines, and The Bakery at Jordan.
* KWV has been honoured with a listing in the Drinks International World’s Top 50 Most Admired Wine Brands, the only local wine brand on the prestigious list. It is the fourth time that the brand has received the accolade. Judging is done by more than 200 wine specialists, on the basis of its quality consistency or improvement, reflecting its region or country of origin, its marketing, its broad appeal, and meeting the needs of its target market. (received via media release from Tin Can PR) Continue reading →
An unusually high number of new restaurants has opened or will do so in the next month or two. There have never been so many chefs leaving their employers to start their own restaurants, or to join other employers! This list of restaurant openings and closings and restaurant staff movements is updated continuously, as we receive new information:
* Kokkedoor judge and Chef Nic van Wyk and Roxy Laker have opened bistro 13 at Stellenbosch Vineyards (Welmoed) (photograph)
* Idiom Wines is said to be opening a restaurant.
* The Butcher Shop & Grill has opened next to Sotano in Mouille Point.
* Michael Townsend (who own the La Parada, Lucky Fish, Harbour House emporium) has opened Tiger’s Milk in Muizenberg, the venue having previously been earmarked for a steakhouse.