* Robert Redford has expressed his delight in drinking Chenin Blanc, he shared at a special private lunch hosted in his honour by his friend Analjit Singh in Franschhoek last weekend. He said about the variety: ‘I’ve experienced white wine in the Napa Valley in California, but never something like this. Chenin blanc (sic) came into my life via my experience in South Africa. When I came here, I was willing to explore all kinds of new things. When I heard about Chenin blanc (sic) I thought I’d never had that and when I had it, I knew I’d found something fresh and exciting – so much so that I’ve now become a fan of Chenin blanc (sic)‘. Last year Mr Singh acquired shares in Mullineux Family Wines, one of our country’s top Chenin Blanc producers.
* The 2014 Diageo Reserve World Class Global Finals Bartender of the Year competition, which was held at Gleneagles in Scotland and in London recently, has been won by Charles Joly from The Aviary in Chicago, in the face of 47 contenders for the title. South Africa was represented by Jeff Lopes from The Michelangelo Hotel. Joly’s winning cocktail was called ‘Above the Clouds‘. He will become a global ambassador for Diageo Reserve World Class. Cape Town will host the Global Finals next year! (received via media release from Communication Services Africa)
* Lanzerac is celebrating Heritage Day with a food feast on 24 September, commencing with a glass of its Alma Mater Rosé. A Continue reading →
* Professor Francis Petersen has been appointed as Chairman of Cape Town Design NPC, the company co-ordinating Cape Town’s reign of World Design Capital 2014, after the recent passing of its former Chairman Professor Russel Botman.
* Influential travel writer Sarah Khan, originally from New York, fell in love with Cape Town and lives in our city, having met her now husband here two years ago. She tells a romantic tale about her transnational love affair, engagement, wedding and reception, held on three continents! She has written fantastic stories about our city for leading international titles.
In a tough three day challenge, with seven top bar tenders from around the country vying for the title of Diageo Reserve WORLD CLASS National Final, held at The Marly and its Umi restaurant in Camps Bay earlier this week, Brent Perremore of Orphanage Cocktail Emporium was named South Africa’s best Mixologist. He will represent our country against 49 other mixologists in the Diageo Reserve World Class Global Final in Scotland and in London later this month, with literary-themed cocktail challenges.
Brett said about winning the South African title: ‘Winning the opportunity to compete in the Global Final is a great honour. WORLD CLASS is about elevating the standard of mixology across the world, and I am very excited to represent South Africa in London and Scotland’. The two runners-up were Haroon Haffajee from Harry’s Cocktail Bar in Durban, and Marson Strydom from Buena Vista Social Café in Somerset West. Other finalists were Jeff Lopes of The Michelangelo Hotel, Johannesburg’s best barman; Simphiwe Ngcobo, also of The Michelangelo Hotel; Assaf Yechiel, also from Orphanage Cocktail Emporium; and Steven Saunders from The Oyster Box. The finalists were judged on the flavour balance and taste of their cocktails, aromatics, expression of the base spirit, overall presentation, brand and category knowledge, entertainment value, originality, and interaction with the judges.
The judges that evaluated the performance of the finalist bar tenders were Chef and MasterChef SA judge Pete Goffe-Wood, 2012 Global World Class Champion Tim Philip, 2013 South African World Class National winner Nick Koumbarakis (also from Orphanage Cocktail Emporium), Travis Kuhn from Pure Bar Studios, and Tim Etherington-Judge, Diageo Reserve Brand Ambassador for Africa and Global Ambassador for Bulleit Bourbon. Continue reading →
* Economists are not all in agreement with Reserve Bank Governor Gill Marcus as to whether or not our country is sliding into recession, although she did express her concern about the economy, reports The New Age.
* Delaire Graff Coastal Cuvée won the Nestle Pure Life Trophy for Best Sauvignon Blanc at the Old Mutual Trophy Wine Show. The wine estate’s Delaire Graff Sauvignon Blanc 2013 has been listed in Business Class of KLM for the third year running. (received via media release from Delaire Graff)
* The mixologists who have made the Diageo Reserve World Class National Final, to be held at the Marly Hotel from 1 – 3 July, are Jeff Lopes and Simphiwe Ngcobo from The Michelangelo Hotel, Brent Perremore and Assaf Yechiel from Orphanage Cocktail Emporium, Steven Saunders from The Oyster Box, Haroon Haffajee from Harry’s Cocktail Bar, and Marson Strydom of Buena Vista Social Café. The national winner will compete in the Diageo Reserve World Class Global Final in July/August.(received via media release from Communication Services Africa) Continue reading →