Kloof Street in Gardens must be the city’s most densely populated restaurant streets, there being at least 35 restaurants. With the ‘Name your Hood’ campaign, I propose that Gardens be renamed FoodHood, as there are many other restaurants in streets leading off Kloof Street, and in the Gardens suburb. Frommers’ travel guide calls it “The Dining Mile”.
The restaurant list ranges from inexpensive food on the run (McDonalds, Nando’s, Scooters, and St Elmo’s) to fine Milanese pastries (Caffe Milano), Basque cheesecakes (Chez Chez), the Eat Out Top 20 finalist fine dining Planet Restaurant at the Mount Nelson Hotel, and numerous other restaurants. The street venues offer food served over long hours, meaning that one will always find something to eat on Kloof Street, even if it is late at night. It was my discovery of Chez Chez and Cocoa Oola on Friday that inspired this blogpost about the restaurants on Kloof Street, starting from the bottom of Kloof Street, and working up towards Table Mountain:
* Depasco Café Bakery: Sit-down or take away cooked meals, sandwiches, etc. 8 Kloof Street. Tel (021) 424-7070. Monday – Friday 6h30 – 17h30, Saturday and Sunday 7h30 – 15h00 (Now called Sabrina’s).
* McDonalds – Monday – Sunday, open 24 hours a day.
* Tong Lok Chinese Cuisine: 8 Kloof Str. Tel (021) 423-5552. Monday – Thursday 11h30 – 22h30, Friday 11h30 – 22h30, Saturday 12h00 – 22h30, Sunday 17h00 – 21h30
* Bardelli’s – Italian cuisine, with pizzas. 18 Kloof Str. Tel (021 423-1502. Monday – Thursday 18h00 – 22h00, Friday and Saturday 18h00 – 23h00, Sunday 12h00 – 22h30
* Opal Lounge – probably the most pretentious restaurant in Cape Town. 30 Kloof Str. Monday – Sunday dinner only.
* The Black Pearl Restaurant, Tapas and Cocktail Bar: Newly opened, previously Seven Sins. 39 Kloof Str. 072 127 8831. Monday – Thursday 7h30 – 22h00, Friday 7h30 – 23h00, Saturday 9h00 – 23h00, Sunday 9h00 – 18h00. (Closed down)
* Vida e Caffe – good coffees, light snacks. 34 Kloof Str. Tel (021) 426-0627. Monday – Sunday
* Mozzarella Bar – salads, sandwiches and other dishes all contain … mozzarella, plus Puglia Cheese mozzarella to buy. R10 LavAzza cappuccino excellent value. Some Caffe Milano (sister restaurant) pastries to buy. Giorgio Nava-owned. 51 Kloof Str. Tel (021) 422-5822. Monday – Saturday 7h00 – 19h00.
* Nando’s : chicken, chicken, chicken! – 42 Kloof Str. Tel (426-0240. Monday – Sunday
* Hudson’s Burger Joint: burgers highly regarded. 69A Kloof Str. Tel (021) 426-5974. Monday – Sunday 12h00 – 23h00
* St Elmo’s: pizza, pasta, as well as salads. 71 Kloof Str. Tel (021) 422-2267. Monday – Friday 9h00 – 22h00, Saturday & Sunday 9h00 – 22h30 (Closed down, now Mitico).
* Ocean Basket: Part of a seafood chain. 75 Kloof Str. Tel (021) 422-0322.
* Café Sofia Meze & Tapas: Breakfast and Lunch, part of a chain. 60 Kloof Str. Tel (021) 426-0801.
* Arnold’s on Kloof: Well known for (early) breakfasts, but also large lunch and dinner menu, cocktails, salads, burgers, pasta and sandwiches. 60 Kloof Street. Tel (021) 424-4344. Monday – Friday 6h45 – late. Saturday & Sunday 8h00 – late.
* Planet Restaurant at Mount Nelson Hotel: fine dining, Top 20 Eat Out list. Tel (021) 483-1000
* Van Hunk’s: South African cuisine, comfortable dining. Corner Kloof and Upper Union Str. Tel (021) 422-5422. Monday – Sunday 11h30 – 22h00.
* Royo Kloof Asian Restaurant: 115 Kloof Str. Tel (021) 422-1888. Monday – Sunday 11h00 – 15h00, 17h30 – 22h00.
* Tokyo Restaurant & Sushi Bar: 115 Kloof Str. Tel (021) 424-5108. Monday 17h00 – 22h00, Tuesday – Saturday 11h00 – 23h00, Sunday 12h00 – 23h00.
* Saigon: Vietnamese and some Japanese food. 110 Kloof Str. Tel (021) 424-7676. Monday – Sunday 12h00 – 14h30, 18h00 – 22h30.
* Scooters: – pizzas, mainly take-away and delivery. Corner Kloof and Union Str. Tel (021) 422-5995. Daily until 20h00.
* Asoka: light meals. 68 Kloof Str. Tel (021) 422-0909.
* Mason’s Café and Grill: light meals, including Breakfast, lunch and dinner. Free wifi. 64 Kloof Str. Tel (021) 422-5325. Monday – Sunday 9h00 – 22h00. (Closed down)
* DaVinci’s: pizzas. 110 Kloof Str. Tel (021) 424-7504. Daily 11h30 – 23h00.
* Toni’s on Kloof Mocambique Portuguese cuisine: 88 Kloof Str. tel (021) 423-7617. Daily 12h00 – 15h00, 18h00 until late.
* Shelley’s Gourmet Deli: Bistro, health and light meals served. 90 Kloof Str. Tel (021) 424-2740. Monday – Wednesday 8h00 – 16h00, Thursday – Saturday 8h00 – 22h00, Sunday 8h00 – 15h00.
* Melissa’s: Deli, part of a chain. Breakfast and lunch buffet, cakes, coffee. Monday – Sunday. Tel (021) 424-5540. Monday – Friday 7h00 – 19h00. Saturday 8h00 – 19h00. Sunday 8h00 – 18h00.
* Buzz: Light Meals. 96 Kloof Str. Tel (021) 426-2797. Monday – Sunday. (Closed down)
* Cocoa Oola Café and Pizzeria: Part of the Cocoa group, with other branches in Rondebosch Cocoa Wah-Wah), Observatory (Cocoa Chaa-Chi) and on Foreshore (Cocoa Expresso). Large menu, with pizzas, sandwiches, wraps, breakfast (14 options), tramezzinis, burgers, pasta, craft beers, and cocktails served in quirky spacious turquoise and lime green interior. Wireless internet. TV screens. Corner Kloof and De Lorentz Str. Tel (021) 422-3638. Monday – Saturday 7h00 – 23h00, Sunday 8h00 – 20h00.
* Chez 2 Chez Cheesecake and Espresso Bar: Newly opened and operated by mother Nicole Baiae and son Chris. Basque theme, with red beret and scarf, red scarf pictures, and strong red decor. Double-shot coffee R13,50 excellent value. Thirteen cheesecake choices (e.g. Tiramisu, Pineapple and coconut, Blueberry sour creams, Palm sugar and Lime, Frozen Peanut Butter, Mint Choc Magic, Killer Kit Kat) at R25, fresh-baked croissants, and brownies offered. Corner Kloof and De Lorentz Str. Tel 082 085 2848. Monday – Friday 7h30 – 17h00, Saturday 8h30 – 14h00, Sunday 9h00 – 13h00.
* Café Paradiso: Part of the Madame Zingara group, beautiful view onto Table Mountain, seating inside and outside, inexpensive comfort food. 110 Kloof Str. Monday – Saturday 8h00 – 22h00, Sunday 8h00 – 14h30. Tel (021) 423-8653
* Manna Epicure: Once a trendy eatery, good breads, cakes and sweet treats, deli. Attractive cottagey interior. 151 Kloof Str. Tel (021) Tuesday – Sunday 8h00 – 17h00.
* Caffe Milano: Milanese pastries, salads, few cooked foods, excellent breakfast (all day on weekends). Giorgio Nava-owned. 153 Kloof Str. Tuesday – Sunday, 7h00 until 17h00. Tel (021) 426-5566.
* Bombay Bicycle Club: wacky-looking inside and outside bohemian decor, also owned by Madame Zingara group. Comfort food, inexpensive. Kloof Str. Tel (021) 423-6805. Monday – Saturday
* Bacini’s Ristorante & Pizzeria: Italian style restaurant. 177 Kloof Str. Tel (021) 423-6668. Monday – Sunday 12h00 – 23h00.
* Liquorice & Lime: Coffee shop, Breakfasts and light meals. 162 Kloof Str. Tel (021) Monday – Friday 7h00 – 17h00, Saturday & Sunday, 7h00 – 17h00.
POSTSCRIPT 11/2: I discovered Myög today, at 103 Kloof Street. A fresh-looking outlet serving only frozen yoghurt with fruit and other toppings. The serving staff are French, and the person I spoke to is not allowed to divulge the name of the owner nor the supplier of their yoghurt, fruit or any other ingredients. What do they have to hide? Tastes like Marcels. No website yet, but on Facebook and Twitter (@Myog_SA).
POSTSCRIPT 11/2: Driving down Kloof Street about a week ago, it was sad to see that so many restaurants on this list have closed down: Black Pearl, Buzz, St Elmo’s, Mason’s, Depasco (now Sabrina’s), and Tong Lok. However, Frankie Fenner Meat Merchants, Mitico, and Knead have opened on the street.
POSTSCRIPT 18/2: Chez Chez closed its doors yesterday.
Chris von Ulmenstein, Whale Cottage Portfolio: www.whalecottage.com Twitter: @WhaleCottage