I had not been to Camps Bay, other than to drive through it on my way to and back from dancing at Constantia Nek on Sunday evenings, in many months. As the weather forecast for yesterday showed that it would be the warmest day for Spring/Summer to date, I drove to Camps Bay on a 30C day, to update my restaurant information for the suburb. Continue reading →
The first restaurants are sending out their Winter Specials information, summarised below. The list is updated continuously. We welcome information about new specials:
# Foxcroft, High Constantia, Constantia. Tel 202-3304. Three Tapas R195 Monday – Friday, 4-courses reduced to R295. Bottomless Steenberg Bubbly at R195 when eating either of two specials. From 15 May – 29 June. (Updated 30/5)
#. La Colombe, Silvermist Estate. Tel (021) 794-2390. Four courses for R395 Monday – Thursday until 31 August. R395. (Updated 15/6).
#. Umi in Camps Bay: 2 couc vv bvrse set menu R180, 3 courses R220. Fish & fries R110, Japanese pizza R75, Sirloin R120, Butternut soup R65, Half price sushi. Tel (021) 437-1802 (added 23/5)
# Pepenero in Mouille Point : 2 courses R180, 3 courses R220. Sirloin Tagliata R120, beer battered fish and chips R95, Seafood platter R155, red wine braised lamb shank R165, 6 fresh oysters R95, and spaghetti alle vongole R95. Daily. Tel (021) 439-9027 (added 23/5)
# Paranga in Camps Bay: 2 courses R250; 3 courses R300; Daily. Tel (021) 438-0404 (added 23/5)
#. The Bungalow in Clifton: 2 courses R200; 3 courses R240. Lamb curry R185, fillet pasta R135, Mussels R120, chicken schnitzel R95, Thai chicken curry R105, and braised lamb neck R165. Tel (021) 438-2018 (added 23/5)
# La Belle Bistro & Bakery, Camps Bay, The Alphen, Mouille Point: 2 courses R190, 3 courses R230. Tel (021) 437-1278/439-9036 (added 25/5)
# Dalliance, V & A Waterfront: 2 courses R190, 3 courses R230. Tel (021) 418-1037. (Added 25/5)
# Open Door, Constantia. Three courses Lunch or Dinner Tuesday – Friday. R295.. Tables of four or more receive a complimentary bottle of Constantia Uitsig Natura Vista.
#. Bistro Sixteen82, Steenberg: Five tapas to share for two R300 for tables of up to 10 persons, Monday – Sunday 17h00 – 20h00, until 30 September. Free coffee with any breakfast Monday – Friday except public holidays. Lunch Special: 2 courses from R185, 3 courses R215, 4 courses R245. Prices valid for tables of up to 10 persons. Until 29 September. Tel (021) 713-2211. (updated 18/5/16)
#. Catharina’s, Steenberg Hotel: 2 courses R165, 3 courses R195, Lunch Monday – Saturday. 3 course Dinner without wine R265, R295 with wine. Monday – Sunday, until 31 August. Tel (021) 713-7178. (added 25/5)
#. La Mouette, Regent Road, Sea Point : 4-courses and a carafe of wine R 295. Tuesday – Sunday dinner, Sunday lunch. From 8 June. Tel (021) 433-0856 (added 30/5)
# Harbour House, Constantia Nek and Kalk Bay: 2 courses R195 (R220 with a glass of wine), 3 course menu R215, or R240 with glass of wine, Mondays – Fridays, June. Tel (021) 795-0688/788-4133/418-4744 (updated 3/6)
# Harbour House, V & A Waterfront: 3 course menu R215, or R240 with glass of wine, Mondays – Thursdays. June. Tel (021) 795-0688/788-4133/418-4744 (Updated 3/6)
# Harbour House, Constantia: High Tea Petit R150; High Tea Sweet & Savoury R185; High Tea Deluxe R260. All include a Pot of Tea. The Deluxe High Tea costs R320 with a glass of bubbly added. Monday – Saturday 14h00 -17h00. Tel (021) 795-0688. (Added 23/5)
# Live Bait Muizenberg: Hake and calamari combo R205, Mondays to Thursdays. Tel (021) 788-2705. (Added 23/5).
# Grand Africa Café & Beach: 2 courses R195, 3 courses R255. June. Tel (021) 425-0551 (added 3/6)
# Mangata Restaurant, Simons Town: Mussel Madness Monday 2 main courses R195, Sunday Roast R 149 pp. Tel (021) 786-1635 (added 25/5)
# The Shortmarket Club, Shortmarket Str: 3 course Prix Fixe Menu R280, with carafe of wine added R 360. Lunch. Until 30 September. Tel (021) 447-2874 (added 25/5)
# Pot Luck Club, Biscuit Mill: ‘Lucky Lunch’ Japanese Kitchen Style Lunch Menu R250. Mo day – Friday Lunch. 30 May – 30 September. Tel (021) 447-0804.
# Shimmy Beach Club: Winter Menu, until end August. Tel (021) 200-7778. (added 25/5)
# Constantia Glen: Winter soups (goulash, butternut and sage, and French Onion) at R 90 per single serving, or R95 for smaller trio of soups. Wines from R50 per glass. Until 31 August. Tel (021) 795-5639 (added 26/5)
# Meloncino, V&A Waterfront: 50% off pizza, pasta, and cocktails. 11h00 – 19h00. 1 June – 31 August. Tel (021) 419-5558 (added 25/5)
#. City Grill, V&A Waterfront: 50% off all Gourmet Steaks and Burgers. 11h00 – 19h00. 1June – 31 August. Tel (021) 419-5558 (added 25/5)
#. The Greek Fisherman. Fisherman Seafood Platter R140, 50% off second platter. 11h00 – 19h00. 1 June – 31 August. Tel (021) 419-5558 (added 25/5)
#. Aubergine: 2 course Winter Bistro dinner, 3 courses, July – Awaiting Specials. Monday – Saturday evenings. Tel (021) 465-4909 (added 30/5)
# Cape Town Fish Market, Big Bay, V&A Waterfront, Canal Walk, Tyger Valley, Stellenbosch, Tokai, Grand West : 200g fish and chips, or burger with chips and onion rings, for R50 on Mondays; 50% off Sushi and 25% off sushi platters on Tuesdays; Granger Bay Seafood platter for two to share R199, and Fish Hoek Seafood platter R99 per person, on Wednesdays. Sushi platters from R89 on Thursdays. Complimentary prawn spring rolls with a bottle of Lord’s Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Noir. Family Feast R360 for four persons (R90 per head), with 4 hake fillets, 12 prawns, and deep-fried calamari. Tel 083 400 2005 (added 30/5)
# I ♥ my Laundry, Buitengracht Street/Buitenkant Street: 8 pieces of Dim Sum from R55. Daily 7h00 – 19h00. Tel 084 6600 777 (added 30/5)
# HQ, Buitengracht Street: Two for the price of one steak, chips and salad, on Mondays; #DateNight 2 steaks and 2 glasses R280 on Tuesdays; Half price tapas on Thursdays. Tel (021) 424-6373 (added 30/5)
# Reverie Social Table, Observatory: 5 courses and 6 wines Dinner R545 Monday – Saturday Dinner. June and August. Tel (021) 447-3219 (added 30/5)
# Mondiall, V & A Waterfront: 2 courses R185, 3 courses R225 Lunch and Dinner. Tel (021) 418-3003 (updated 31/5)
# Den Anker, Waterfront: Two Belgian beers on tap and two dishes (mussels, fish, or burger) R125 daily until 19h00. Tel (021) 419-0249. (Added 3/6).
# GreenVine Eatery, Silvermist, Constantia: Sunday Winter Roast R140. Farm Breakfast Monday R59. Suit Up Tuesday breakfast and Bottomless coffee R80. Wine Wednesday lunch with complimentary Silvermist Sauvignon Blanc with meal. Hot cakes Thursday with tea or coffee R40. Beer Friday with 500ml Stella Artois Draught and burger R99. Tel (021) 794-7601. (Updated 3/6)
# The 41, Camps Bay. 2 courses and complimentary drink R180, 3 courses and complimentary drink R220. Lunch and Dinner, until 31 August. 20 % off Breakfast Tuesday – Sunday 8h00 – 11h30. Tel (021) 437-0558 (updated 26/6)
# Massimo’s, Hout Bay. 15 % off total bill lunch Monday – Friday. Eat as much pasta, pizza, and green salad for R125 per person, for tables of 4 or more. Monday – Thursday. Tel (021) 790-5648. (Updated 8/6)
# Goloso, Sea Point: Pizza, pasta, or winter stew with a 500 ml Darling Brew Slow Beer R99. Early bird dinner discount – 2 pizzas or 2 pastas or 2 Winter stews and bottle of wine R250 Monday – Sunday 17h00 – 19h00. Until 30 September. Tel (021) 439-2144 (added 3/6)
# Stuzzico, Villa 47: 2 courses R160, 3 courses R210. With a bottle of Italian sparkling wine or 750 ml craft beer or bottle of Italian red or white wine R410 (2 courses)/R510 (3courses). Tel (021) 418-2740 (added 5/6)
# The Stack, Gardens: 2 courses R 195, 3 courses R235. Monday – Saturday lunch, Monday – Thursday dinner. Tel (021) 286-0187 (added 5/6)
# Cheyne’s, Hout Bay: 3 dishes R150. Tel (021) 790-3462 (added 5/6)
# Burger & Lobster: The All Rounder’ (70g B&L Slider, Half Lobster Roll, Lobster Bisque, Fries) R139, Monday – Saturday, Lunch & Dinner. Tel (021) 422-4297 (Added 8/6)
# Mitico, Kloof Street: Any pizza or pasta plus glass of wine R75. Monday – Thursday, 12h00 – 16h00. Tel (021) 422-2260 (added 9/6)
# Primal Eatery: Two 35-day aged 300g sirloin steaks, with onion and chips, a bottle of KW Foothills Shiraz or Sauvignon Blanc, and sharing warm apple crumble with smoked cinnamon ice cream R450 per couple. Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays. Tel (021) 422-3232. (Added 15/6)
# Greenhouse, The Cellars-Hohenhort, Constantia: 4 courses R395 Friday and Saturday Lunch. 7 courses R750 Tuesday – Thursday Dinner. Tel (021) 795-6226. (Added 20/6)
# The Quarterdeck, Grandwest. Prawns R250 on Wednesday evenings. Dinner & Dance Saturday evenings R250. Until 31 July. Tel (021) 505-7220. (Added 30/6)
# Mynt, Camps Bay: Fillet Special with 2 fillet steaks, 2 sauces, 2 sides, 2 glasses of house wine R350 Monday to Sunday; two for one cocktail Monday – Sunday 17h00 – 19h00; two for one burger and pasta Monday – Friday all day and night. Tel (021) 473-1765 (added 7/7)
# Seelan Restauarant & Bar, V&A Waterfront: Sunday Buffet 5 starters, 5 main courses, 4 desserts R300. Tel (021) 421-4906 (added 9/7)
# Cabrón Taco Bar, Bree Street : Two for one Tacos, daily until 16h00. Tel 0844 703 533 ( added 26/7)
# Arcade, Bree Street: Two pizzas for price of one 12h00 – 20h00; two burgers for price of one, Wednesdays 12h00 – 20h00; two Pizza and/or Burger for price of one Thursdays 12h00 – 20h00. Tel 060 861 0511 (added 26/7).
# Royale Eatery: Classic Cheese Burger, Vegetable Cheese Burger, Falafel Salad bowl, chicken salad, 2-topping pizza, for R50, Citizen Patriot beer 440ml R22, 12h00 – 17h00, until 1 October. Tel (021) 422-4536 (added 26/7).
# Clarkes Bar and Diner, Bree Street: Two for one cheeseburger, or beetroot and Aubergine burger for price of one between 18h00 – 19h00 on Tuesdays. Tel (021) 424-7648 (added 26/7)
# Mini & Trout, Bree Street: Curry night R99 on Tuesdays. Tel (021) 426-2534 (added 26/7).
#. Haute Cabriere: 300g steak with a glass of Haute Cabriere Pinot Noir R175, with Creme Brûlée R225 Tel (021) 876-3688 (added 30/5)
# Leeu Estates: 15% off with Leeu Collection Loyalty Card. Tel (021) 492-2220 (added 30/5)
# Leeu House: 15% off with Leeu Collection Loyalty Card. Tel (021) 492-2221 (added 30/5)
#. Tuk Tuk Microbrewery: 15% off with Leeu Collection Loyalty Card. Tel (021) 492-2207 (added 30/5)
# Marigold Authentic Indian: 15% off with Leeu Collection Loyalty Card. Tel (021) 876-8970
# The Garden Room at Le Quartier Français: 15% off with Leeu Collection Loyalty Card. Tel (021) 876-2151.
# La Petite Ferme: Wine and Food Experience 8 June, 6 July, 3 August. Dinner showcasing four wines, one La Petite Ferme, two other local, and one international, 3-course dinner R 750. Tel (021) 876-3016.
# Dutch East: Grilled sirloin R135, on Fridays. Tel (021) 876-3547 (added 20/6)
#. FABER, Avondale, Paarl: 3 courses R250, Wednesday – Sunday Lunch, Thursday to Saturday Dinner, until 30 September. Tel (021) 202-1219.(Updated 20/6)
# eat@Simonsvlei, Paarl: Cape Malay chicken curry, Cape Brandy tart and whipped cream p,us glass of Simonsvlei Bukettraube R145. June – September. Tel (021) 863-3845. (Added 3/6)
# Oude Wellington Restaurant: ‘Kerrie Tafel’ three curries with rices, and sambals R150 per person. Wednesday Dinner. Until 27 September. Tel 082 836 8924.
#. Terroir, Kleine Zalze: Tuesday – Sunday Lunch, Tuesday – Saturday Dinner. Two courses with glass of Kleine Zalze Vineyard Selection wine R295, four courses R395/R495 without/with wine. Until 30 September. Tel (021) 880-8167 (added 15/5)
# Makaron, Majeka House: Small plates of 4/5/6 courses for R450/R565/675. If paired with wines the cost is R770/R940/R1100. Thursday – Tuesday Dinner. Tel (021) 880-1549. (added 25/5)
# Delheim: Jazz and Cheese Fondue plus glass of Glühwein and live jazz R 230, Sundays from 25 June until 27 August. Tel (021) 888-4607 (added 30/5)
# Cucina Di Giovanni, Eikendal Vineyards: Winter Mini Pizza (three) and Wine Pairing R60. Tuesdays – Sundays, until 30 June, and 1 August – 30 September. Tel (021) 855-1422. (added 20/6)
# Eikendal Vineyards: Winter Pizza & Wine Pairing Experience, mini pizza and matching estate wine R60. Tuesdays – Sundays, 12h00 – 16h00 from 1 August to 30 September. Tel (021) 855-1422. (Added 26/7) ‘
# Benguela on Main: 2 courses R240, 3 courses R310. Tuesday – Saturday Dinner, Lunch Friday and Saturday. From 2 June – 30 September. Tel 087 357 0637 (added 25/5)
# Henri’s Restaurant & Pub: 2 courses R 220, 3 courses R250, inclusive of a bottle of Lourensford River Garden wine per coup,e, or two glasses per single guest. Monday – Saturday Lunch and Dinner, and Sunday Lunch. Tel (021) 852-6442 (added 31/5)
# Benguela Cove Restaurant: 3 courses, glass of wine, and glass of Glühwein R450 per person. Tel 087 357 0637 (added 30/5)
# Origins Restaurant, The Marine Hotel: Winter Curry with almond and coriander rice, Pippa don, chutney and raita. R160. Lunch and Dinner. Until 30 June. Tel (028) 313-1000 (added 20/6)
* Gabriëlskloof Restaurant, Bot River: 2-courses R210, 3-courses R250 Wednesday – Monday. Sharing Sundays 3 courses R300 per person. Until 31 August. Tel (028) 284-9865 (added 31/5)
* SeaFood at The Plettenberg: Await Specials information. Tel (044) 533-2030
Closed for winter break
# The Kitchen at Maison: closed until 4 July (added 30/5)
# Indochine, Delaire Graff: closed until 24 June (added 30/5)
# Camphors at Vergelegen: Closed until 14 June (added 30/5)
# Reverie Social Table: 1 – 30 June (added 30/5)
# La Colombe: Winter break 9 – 30 June (updated 2/6).
# Osteria Tarantino closed 10 – 25 June (added 8/10)
# Waterkloof Restaurant: Closed from 19 June – 19 July (added 30/5)
# Haute Cabrière: Closed from 26 June – 7 August (added 30/5)
# FABER, Avondale, Paarl: 22 -30 May, 26 June – 11 July. (Added 25/5)
# Makaron, Majeka House: closed 25 June – 29 July (added 20/6)
# Pot Luck Club, Old Biscuit Mill: 26 June – 9 July (added 25/5)
# Spier Hotel Restaurant & Bar: 1 July – 15 September. (Added 19/6)
# Terroir: 3 – 25 July. (Added 25/5)
# The Dining Room: closed 7 -19 July (added 8/6)
# Bistro Sixteen82: 24 July – 10 August (added 25/5)
# Primal Eatery: 1 – 15 August (added 6/7)
#. Karoux in McGregor: 11 – 13 August (added 25/5)
# Benguela on Main, Somerset West: 13 August – 13 September. (Added 25/5)
# SOURCE restaurant in Hermanus not offering Dinner in winter. (Added 20/6)
Please send Winter Specials information to email@example.com, to be added to this list.
Please note: This list belongs to us, and permission must be requested to copy or post it elsewhere, with acknowledgement to our WhaleTales Blog. We wish you wonderful Winter eating and enjoyment.
Chris von Ulmenstein, WhaleTales Blog: www.chrisvonulmenstein.com/blog Tel +27 082 55 11 323 Twitter:@Ulmenstein Facebook: click here Instagram: @Chris_Ulmenstein
The first restaurants are sending out their Winter Specials information, summarised below. The list is updated continuously. Please do not copy and paste our list. We welcome information about new specials:
* Umi in Camps Bay: 2 course set menu R200, 3 courses R240. Beef shortrib R120, fish & fries R80, Tataki Beef R75, sweet potato parcels R50, pork belly R130, and sticky chicken wings Tebaski R65. Half price sushi. Cocktails R40 Tel (021) 437-1802 (added 14/5/16) Continue reading →
# Meloncino: Glass of Moët et Chandon and 2 oysters R169; 750ml bottle of Moët et Chandon Impérial R 749, 750ml bottle of Moët et Continue reading →
If it depends on the Cape weather, it is hardly winter yet. However, the first restaurants are sending out their Winter Specials information, summarised below. The list is updated continuously. We welcome information about new specials:
* Umi in Camps Bay: 2 course set menu R155, 3 courses R195. Beef shortrib R105, beef sirloin R95, fish & fries R85, Tataki Beef R55, Beef sliders R55, Baby squid R45. Half price sushi. Cocktails R40 Tel (021) 437-1802 (added 1/5/15)
* Pepenero in Mouille Point : 2 courses R150, 3 courses R190. Sirloin R90, Rump R90, Lamb cutlets R120, Seafood platter R160, Sushi platter R130, Veal schnitzel R110, Oxtail R110, prawn platter R130, chicken liver pasta R80, and chicken curry R90 . Half price sushi (selected items) all day. Cocktails R35. Daily. Tel (021) 439-9027 (added 1/5/15)
* La Mouette, Cape Town: 6-course dinner R445. Tel (021) 433-0856
* Savour, African Pride 15 on Orange, Cape Town: 5-courses R450. Tel (021) 469-8000
* The Conservatory at Cellars Hohenhort, Cape Town: 6-course dinner R 750 p.p. Tel (021) 794-5535
* Twelve Apostles Hotel & Spa, Cape Town: 4-course R955 plus eggnog. Tel (021) 437-9000
* Makaron at Majeka House, Stellenbosch: 4-course dinner R 55o p.p. Tel (021) 880-1550
* Bosman’s at Grande Roche, Paarl: 5-course dinner with pianist R1395 p.p. Tel (021) 863-5100 Continue reading →
The Winter 2014 specials for more than 90 Cape Town and Winelands restaurants follow below, and are updated continuously. We welcome information about new specials, and the feedback about your meals at these restaurants:
* Umi in Camps Bay: 3 course set menu R260, 5 courses R360, both include a shared bottle of Warwick First Lady. Order 3 meals off a la carte menu, get the 4th free. Slow cooked shortrib R110, Karan beef sirloin R95, Japanese beer marinated Karan beef fillet R120, pork belly R90, warm salmon and black bean R120, and fish & fries R85. Tel (021) 437-1802 (added 10/5/14)
* Pepenero in Mouille Point : Order 3 meals and get 4th (cheapest) free; Sirloin R89, Rump R89, Lamb cutlets R99, Seafood platter R149, Sushi platter R129, Crayfish tails R169, Veal schnitzel R95, Soup of day R40, Prawn platter R139, Oxtail R110, and Osso Buco R89. Half price sushi (selected items) all day. Daily. Tel (021) 439-9027 (updated 10/5/14)
* 5 Rooms, Alphen Boutique Hotel: 2 courses R170; 2 courses with bottle of Warwick First Lady (shared between two) R220; 3 courses R 220; 3 courses plus bottle of Warwick First Lady (shared between two) R 270. Sirloin R95, Baby chicken R95, Braised oxtail R110, Seafood bouillabaisse R135, Grilled Prawn R99, Slow braised lamb shank R115. Tel (021) 795-6313 (updated 10/5/14)
* Zenzero, Camps Bay: 2 courses R160; 2 courses with bottle of Warwick First Lady (shared between two) R210; 3 courses Continue reading →
Many restaurants opened this summer, but the industry is taking its first toll, with restaurants closing down. It may be a tough winter ahead, given the poor state of the economy. Yet Neil Grant and Barry Engelbrecht (Burrata), Clayton Howard and Mico Botha (I Love my Laundry), and Michael Townsend (La Parada, Lucky Fish, Harbour House) are expanding their portfolios.
This list of restaurant openings and closings is updated continuously, as we receive new information:
* Chef’s Warehouse & Cookery School has moved to Bree Street, in the Cape Heritage hotel building, where Awestruck/Caveau used to be, and is now called Chef’s Warehouse & Canteen, with Chef Liam Tomlin in the kitchen. Street Food has also opened as a take-away outlet (7h00 – 15h00)
* Diesel & Creme, a diner, restaurant, and coffee shop, has opened on the R62 in Barrydale.
* Idiom Wines is said to be opening a restaurant.
* The Tap Room has opened at Devils’ Peak Brewery
* I ♥ my Laundry has opened another (its third) branch on Buitenkant Street.
* Jordan Wines has launched a Deli and Bakery.
* Lucky Fish & Chips has opened on Bree Street, on Regent Road in Sea Point, on Long Street, in Kalk Bay, and in Muizenberg, belonging to Michael Townsend of the Harbour House group.
* Tümi has opened as a health food café in St John’s Piazza in Sea Point, being part of the Col’Cocchia group. Continue reading →
Many restaurants are opening and have opened this summer, with only three months of the summer season left in which they can create awareness and make an impact before the dreaded winter arrives after the Easter weekend. New restaurants are far more casual, with informal dining.
This list of restaurant openings and closings is updated continuously, as we receive new information:
* Umi Asian restaurant opened in December with The Marly hotel in the Camps Bay Promenade, owned by The Cove (Kovensky) Group (photograph above).
* Equus restaurant on the Cavalli stud and wine farm on the R44 has opened. Carl Habel left the Mount Nelson Hotel as Restaurant Manager and Sommelier to join the restaurant, but left before it opened. Chef Henrico Grobbelaar from the Twelve Apostles heads up the kitchen.
* Shake your Honey is to open in the original Madame Zingara building on Loop Street this year, according to an iolTravel report. The ‘vibrant spirit of India’ is to be reflected in the 5-storey building, with a theatre, markets, restaurants, and shops.
* A new restaurant and micro brewery is to open next door to The Bromwell in Woodstock (name not yet known).
* TriBakery has opened on Bree Street.
* Vida e Caffe is opening coffee shops at Shell petrol stations, 40 initially and 300in total. It has also opened in Garden’s Centre, and in St John’s Piazza in Sea Point.
* The Black Sheep Restaurant has opened on Kloof Street. Continue reading →
Despite one of the worst winters ever experienced by the Cape hospitality industry, few restaurants have closed down recently. A surprise however is the movement of staff between restaurants. This list of restaurant openings and closings is updated continuously, as we receive new information:
* Beerhouse has opened on Long Street, with 16 beers on tap and 99 bottled beers from around the world.
* The House of Machines has opened on Shortmarket Street, building motorcycles, offering good Evil Twin coffee, and serving very healthy food.