On a quick trip around Muizenberg over the weekend, my friend and Muizenberg resident Don Gloy introduced me to husband-and-wife and chef team Quinette and Valie Costea, who own Baby Vegetables, a farm to table baby vegetable delivery service. Continue reading →
* The cost of the devastating fires to the Table Mountain National Park early this month is estimated at R6 million, not only for the fire-fighting costs, but also for facilities damaged or destroyed, and lost income in having to close the Silvermine and Tokai recreation areas for the next 6 – 24 months.
* Sun International is to buy the Peermont Group, consisting of nine casino resorts in our country and in Botswana, for R9,4 billion.
* The second season of the ‘Clover Little Big Cook Off‘ will be aired from 28 June on SABC3, with judges and hosts Continue reading →
* All Johannesburg – New York SAA flights in both directions will now be non-stop, the America-bound flight becoming non-stop too. The route popularity and the reduction of 90 minutes flight time have motivated the change.
* Due to the devastating fires last week, Table Mountain National Park has requested locals and visitors to stay away from Tokai forest and Silvermine, deeming them to be unsafe, with continued flare-ups, and trees Continue reading →
The Sweet Service Award goes to the hundreds of brave volunteer firefighters who gave their all over the past five days to tackle the numerous fires in the South Peninsula, including in Constantia, Clovelly, Chapman’s Peak, Hout Bay, Tokai, Cape Point, Noordhoek, and Muizenberg. Capetonians are also recognised for their generosity in donating, food, beverages, medical supplies, and millions of Rands for the firefighters in various collection initiatives run during this past week. Continue reading →
* Cape Town’s South Peninsula remains under attack from numerous fires raging over the past four days. Despite the most welcome rain earlier today, fires are still affecting the Tokai forest and Constantia wine farms, including Buitenverwachting, Klein Constantia, and Eagles Nest. The lightning of this morning’s thunderstorm ironically ignited a fire at Cape Point, which had to be evacuated as a result.
* Yesterday Cape Town was the hottest city in the world, at 42ºC, the highest temperature ever measured at Cape Town’s weather station at the airport.
The Winter 2014 specials for more than 90 Cape Town and Winelands restaurants follow below, and are updated continuously. We welcome information about new specials, and the feedback about your meals at these restaurants:
* Umi in Camps Bay: 3 course set menu R260, 5 courses R360, both include a shared bottle of Warwick First Lady. Order 3 meals off a la carte menu, get the 4th free. Slow cooked shortrib R110, Karan beef sirloin R95, Japanese beer marinated Karan beef fillet R120, pork belly R90, warm salmon and black bean R120, and fish & fries R85. Tel (021) 437-1802 (added 10/5/14)
* Pepenero in Mouille Point : Order 3 meals and get 4th (cheapest) free; Sirloin R89, Rump R89, Lamb cutlets R99, Seafood platter R149, Sushi platter R129, Crayfish tails R169, Veal schnitzel R95, Soup of day R40, Prawn platter R139, Oxtail R110, and Osso Buco R89. Half price sushi (selected items) all day. Daily. Tel (021) 439-9027 (updated 10/5/14)
* 5 Rooms, Alphen Boutique Hotel: 2 courses R170; 2 courses with bottle of Warwick First Lady (shared between two) R220; 3 courses R 220; 3 courses plus bottle of Warwick First Lady (shared between two) R 270. Sirloin R95, Baby chicken R95, Braised oxtail R110, Seafood bouillabaisse R135, Grilled Prawn R99, Slow braised lamb shank R115. Tel (021) 795-6313 (updated 10/5/14)
* Zenzero, Camps Bay: 2 courses R160; 2 courses with bottle of Warwick First Lady (shared between two) R210; 3 courses Continue reading →
* Mango is tightening up its credit card procedures, to prevent fraud, by demanding that tickets bought by credit card are verified with the actual card. If the card is not with the passenger, he/she may not board.
* ESKOM started load-shedding around the country today, without prior warning, the rain in Johannesburg allegedly wetting the coal and therefore affecting its supply! The Cape has not been spared, with electricity cuts in Somerset West, Claremont, Durbanville, Tokai, Kenilworth, Parow, Elsies River, Wellington, and Hout Bay this morning, followed by Sea Point, Camps Bay, and many other Cape Town suburbs later in the day. Our international visitors (other than those from other African countries) are shocked! (via Twitter)
* Chef Chris Erasmus will leave Pierneef à La Motte in June, to open his own restaurant with his wife in Franschhoek in September.
* The Bols Bartending World Champion Rusty Cerven chose Cape Town as one of his four world cities to visit, with Sydney, Tokyo, and Rio de Janeiro, as part of his prize when he beat 3000 bartenders from 66 countries. In Cape Town he demonstrated Continue reading →
For the past six months we have run a Restaurant winter specials list, many of which were extended until the end of September.
We are delighted that many restaurants in Cape Town and the Winelands have seen the benefit of offering specials, and have decided to continue to do so for summer. The list follows below, and will be updated continuously:
* Pure at Hout Bay Manor: 3 course dinner for R200, and R280 with a glass of wine added, summer. Tel (021) 790-0116.
* Pepenero in Mouille Point : sirloin and chips R 79, seafood platter R 129, 1 kg prawn platter R 99, oysters R 9 each, sushi platter R109. Half price sushi all day. Summer. Tel (021) 439-9027
* Sinn’s Restaurant at Wembley Square: lunch (6 options) at R 50. 3-course dinner at R 150, Autumn. Tel (021) 465-0967
* Theo’s on Beach Road, Mouille Point: oysters R 6 each, 1 kg prawns R 99, line fish R79, for lunch and dinner. 300 gram sirloin steak, spatchcock chicken peri peri, 500 gram spare ribs all R 79 for lunch only. Full sushi platter R99, half platter R50. Summer. Tel (021) 439-3494.
* Sevruga in the V&A Waterfront: half price sushi Monday – Saturday 12 – 6 pm; 25 % off sushi Sunday 12 – 2pm, 50 % off 2 – 6 pm. Summer. Tel (021) 421-5134
* 1800 Degrees in the Cape Royale Luxury Hotel, Main Road, Green Point: 100g sirloin + 100g rump + 100g rib eye, and sauce = R99. Until end March. Tel (021) 430-0506
* Myoga at Vineyard Hotel, Newlands: 6 course dinner, with 5 choices per course, for R 195, Mondays – Saturdays, continues throughout summer Tel (021) 657-4545
* Beluga, The Foundry, Green Point: 1 kg Prawns R 99; 50 % off sushi and cocktails all day Sunday, and from 12h00 – 19h00 weekdays. Mondays – Saturdays. Summer Tel (021) 418-2948.
* 221 Waterfront: 3-course meal and live music R135 on Wednesdays. Dine & Cruise package: 1,5 hour cruise, 2 glasses sparkling wine, 3-course meal R 370; Lunch & Cruise package: 1 hour cruise and meal R210. Until 30 April. Tel (021) 418-3633
* Jakes in the Village/on Summerley, in Tokai and Kenilworth, respectively: 25 % off all dishes but must have a main course as a minimum, 5 – 7 pm only, 25 % off flatbreads on Mondays; Free Peroni, glass of wine or coffee for lunch; every 6th lunch free on Loyalty Card. Mondays – Saturdays, Summer. Tel (021) 701 3272
* The Lookout Deck, Hout Bay: 1 kg for prawns R 99, pay for 12 oysters and get 18, until end March. Tel (021) 790-0900
* La Mouette, Regent Road, Sea Point: Autumn Tasting Menu dinner 6 courses R 240 for 2 persons, Tuesday – Sunday lunch and dinner. Tel (021) 433-0856
* Bertha’s in Simonstown: 1 kg mussels, 1 kg Queen prawns or 1 kg mini seafood platter cost R 99 each, R11 for Peroni linked to seafood platter. Calamari, mussel, chips, BBQ chicken and wing platter R99. Summer. Tel (021) 786-2138
* Pepperclub Luxury Hotel & Spa: 6 oysters and a glass of bubbly R60, Fridays from 16h00, with jazz. Current.
* Aubergine: 2-course lunch R184, 3-course lunch R235, Wednesdays – Fridays, Summer. Tel (021) 465-4909
* Balducci’s: All pizzas (except Flaming Prawns) R49, 26-piece Platinum Sushi Plate for R99, Burgers from R55. Monday – Sunday, 12h00 – 18h00, indefinite. Tel (021) 421-6002
* Ferryman’s Tavern, V&A Waterfront: Combo-specials R100 (linefish + calamari), R85 (sirloin + calamari), R99 (pork rib + chicken wings), Mussel hotpot R75, chocolate mudpie R26. Summer. Tel (021) 419-7748
* Hildebrand: 2 courses R 99, 3 courses R 130; Summer. Tel (021) 425-3385
* Chenin Restaurant and Bar: 200g Sirloin steak R65, Cape Malay prawn curry R70, Moussaka R60 + glass of wine. From 5 May, for Autumn. Tel 021 425-2200
* Leaf Restaurant and Bar: 51 % off sushi from 11h00 – 19h00, and all day on Sunday; 12 prawn platter R89, Dimsum 30 % off. 50 % off cocktails all day Sunday. Summer. Tel (021) 418-4500
* Blowfish in Blouberg: R49 lunch specials, e.g. chicken schnitzel, 12-piece sushi, 6 oysters, hake and chips. Current Tel (021) 556-5464
* Cafe Chic: Six Moroccan tapas for R 70. 2 course meal R 100, 3 course meal R 120. Until 15 April. Tel (021) 465-7218
* OYO at V&A Hotel : 500g crayfish special R185. Summer. Tel (021) 419-6677
* Vanilla, Cape Quarter: 1/2 price sushi 12h00 – 18h00, half-price cocktails. Summer. Tel (021) 421-1391
* Adega, Sea Point: 1 kg King Prawns R119. Summer. Tel (021) 434-3029
* Knife restaurant, Century City: Bagel R35; Salad R45; Rib, meatball, chicken wing and chip platter R60, all specials include a beer/glass of wine/colddrink and coffee. Lunch special, 12h00 – 15h00, Mondays – Fridays. Summer. Tel (021) 551-5000
* St Elmo’s, Kloof Str, Gardens: Cheese-filled crust slices R17,90, until 17h00 daily; 2 large regular pizzas R99,90 daily all hours; 2 pizzas R79,90 Tuesdays all hours. Dipping strips – two for R99,90. Individual small pizza + Coke R29,90 Monday – Friday, until 16h00 daily. Summer. Tel (021) 422-2261
* Saul’s Sushi @ Vegas, Sea Point: Eat as much sushi as you like = R120 – Mondays and Tuesdays; 30 piece sushi platter R99 – Wednesdays and Thursdays; Oriental Buffet = R79 – Fridays and Saturdays; two for the price of one – Sundays. Current. Tel 087 151 4595
* Bhandaris Indian Restaurant: Buffet R99 Wednesday dinner and Sunday lunch and dinner. Two main meals for R99 on Mondays. 30 % off for pensioners on Tuesdays. Until 30 April. Tel (021) 702-2975/Tel (021) 782-1525.
* Zorba’s, Lagoon Beach Hotel, Milnerton: Starter and main course R100 on Monday nights. Summer. Tel (021) 528-2093
* San Marco, V&A Waterfront: 3 course meal plus Peroni or glass of wine and tea/coffee R99. Until 15 December, 15 January – 31 March. Tel (021) 418-5434
* Trees Restaurant, Townhouse Hotel, Cape Town: 2 course dinner R95, 3 courses R130. Summer. Tel (021) 465-7050
* Down South Food Bar, 267 Long Street: Rib & Prawn Platter including a side and sauces R75, until end February. Tel (021) 422-1155.
* Mainland China Restaurant, 111 Main Road, Claremont: Seafood Buffet R89, Saturdays 18h30 – 21h00; Buffet R 49; 50 % sushi discount Tuesday – Sunday. Tel (021) 674-2654
* Il Cappero, Barrack Street: “Eat as much as you can” lunch buffet R75, Monday – Friday. Summer. Tel 461-3168
* Cape Town Fish Market: Sirloin and Calamari Surf and Turf R64,65; Surf and Turf Supreme, with 8 prawns, R99,95. Until 2 May. Calamari duo and 300ml soda R68,95, only at V&A Waterfront, until 15 April. Tel (021) 418-5977
* Trinity, Bennett Street: “All you can eat” Dim Sum R135. Two-for-one burgers Wednesdays. Pizza R50 until 7 pm daily. “All you can eat” ribs Mondays R99. Tel (021) 418-0624
* French Toast, Bree Street: Bruschetta tapas free; Sauvignon.com R 20 per glass. Monday – Saturdays 5 – 7 pm. Tel (021) 422-3839.
* Cru Café Restaurant & Wine Bar, Cape Quarter: Scrambled egg and salmon breakfast for 2 plus bottomless cup of coffee R 78, Weekdays; 2 gourmet burgers with onion rings, French fries and Stella Artois beer R120 weekday lunch; Two pastas and two glasses of wine R99. Sunday – Tuesday evenings. Comfort food (Bobotie or Bredie) for two for R 119, including 2 glasses of wine, Wednesday and Thursday evenings. T-bone steak (350g) for two at R150, Friday and Saturday evenings. Until September. Tel (021) 418-6334
* Krugmann’s Grill, V&A Waterfront: Beef ribs 500 gram BBQ-basted beef ribs and starch R75, Wednesdays only Tel (021) 418-9393
* The Square, Vineyard Hotel, Newlands: ‘Tastes of 2011’ focuses on different theme every month, from April – September. April theme is ‘Best of British’, with British menu change weekly, 2 courses R 140 or 3 courses R 170. Dinner only, Monday – Sunday. Tel ()21) 657-4500
* Dunes, Hout Bay : Sunday brunch with smoked salmon, oysters and cooked breakfast R 100. Tel (021) 790-1876
* Sinn’s Restaurant, Wembley Square: Lunch R 50 (choice of six options); 3-course dinner plus glass of wine R 150. Autumn Tel (021) 465-0967
* Café Nood, Claremont: Pizza and glass of wine or a Peroni at R45 via Dealio. Current. Tel (021) 671-4475
* Arnold’s on Kloof, 60 Kloof Street, Gardens: Jack Black stew (type of stew changes throughout winter)for two plus bottle of Altydgedacht R99. Tel (021) 424-4344. Throughout winter.
* Five Flies, Keerom Street: 350g steak plus glass of wine R110. 15 April – 15 May. Tel (021) 424-4442
* Balducci’s, V&A Waterfront: Alfresco Lunch specials – soup and salad R89, fish R89, calamari R89, seafood platter for two R245, Steak Roll and chips R85, Steak and chips R99, Burgers from R55 – R75, Glass of wine R27, bottle R99. daily 12h00 – 16h00. Tel (021) 421-6002
* Harbour House, Kalk Bay: 2-courses R140, 3-courses R160. May. Tel (021) 788-4133
* Live Bait, Kalk Bay: Prawns and stir fry Asian noodle salad R 60. Sunday – Thursday evenings in May. Tel (021) 788-5755
* Polana, Kalk Bay: Steak, chips and mushroom sauce, R50, Sunday – Wednesday dinner April; Half free-range flame-grilled chicken R50, Sunday – Thursday dinner and Saturday lunch, May. Tel (021) 788-7162
* Massimo’s Pizza Club, Hout Bay: “Order any 2 adult take away (pizza, pasta salad)” to a minimum value of R100, and get an &Union beer, Darling Brew beer or a 500ml bottle of Bob’s Your Uncle wine for free, all day Wednesdays and Thursdays, Fridays until 17h00. Current Tel 073 390 1373.
* Allee Bleue, outside Franschhoek: choice of three 250g steaks at R 115, including a glass of estate wine, current. Lunch until 7 pm, Sunday – Thursday. Sunday Spit Braai with live music R175. Summer Tel (021) 874-1021
* Olivello, Klapmuts, outside Stellenbosch: 2-course meal R 115, 3-course meal R 135 plus glass of wine. Summer. Tel (021) 875-5443
* Ryan’s Kitchen at Rusthof, Franschhoek : 3-course dinner R 195; 6 course Taste of Africa dinner R295. Autumn. Tel (021) 876-4598.
* Restaurant Christophe, Stellenbosch: business lunch – 2 courses R130, 3 courses R 150, Tuesday – Friday, served within one hour, all year. Tel (021) 886-8763
* Allora in Franschhoek: mini-seafood platter R100, gorgonzola rump steak R95, marinated venison R95; 3-course Sunday lunch R99. Summer. Tel (021) 876-4375.
* L’ermitage, Franschhoek: 3 course lunch and glass of wine R 140. Current. Tel (021) 876-9200
* Laborie Restaurant in Paarl: 3 courses plus a glass of wine R145, until April.
* The Restaurant @ Clos Malverne: 4 course Food and Wine pairing menu R148, includes four courses and four wines. Tuesday – Sundays.
* 96 Winery Road, Stellenbosch: Free main course for May birthday boys and girls, to celebrate the restaurant’s 15th birthday. Tel (021 842-2020
* Dornier Bodega, Stellenbosch: Meat-free Mondays, Comfort Tuesdays, Pasta Wednesdays, Soup Thursdays, Fish Fridays, R79, lunch, May – September, Tel (021) 880-0557
* Towerbosch Restaurant, Knorhoek Wine Estate, Stellenbosch: Soup & Bredie Menu with soup and bredie R90, Wednesdays – Saturdays; Asado Argentian-style braai on Sundays R165. May – August. Tel (021) 865-2958
* Season in Hermanus: Sunday roast R 65 – R75, 3-course Sunday lunch R 110. Summer. Tel (028) 316-2854
* Mediterrea in Hermanus: 3 course meal R 195, Monday – Thursday dinners and Sunday lunches, current Tel (028) 313-1685
* The Class Room Restaurant, Hermanus: 3 course meal plus amuse bouche, palate cleanser, coffee and friandises R 165. 6 – 30 April. Tel (028) 316-3582
Chris von Ulmenstein, Whale Cottage Portfolio: www.whalecottage.com Twitter: @WhaleCottage
Copyright: Whale Cottage Portfolio