I spent four days in the village of McGregor last week, last having been there four months ago. I spent such a relaxing and special time there, that I wish to acknowledge with gratitude the contribution which each of the following made to me during my stay:
I have returned from a special weekend in McGregor. A ‘Weekend with Leonard Cohen’ was exactly that, filled with four documentaries of his concert tours, and two live concerts, held at Wahnfried, and a magnificent lunch at Tebaldi’s restaurant at the spiritual retreat Temenos. The weekend Festival was well attended.
I have special memories of listening to LM Radio in the Sixties on Sunday evenings, whilst doing my homework for the week ahead. There was always one or more melancholy Cohen songs on the hit parade, balancing the upbeat songs by the Beatles, Rolling Stones, Beach Boys, and many others. Cohen moved us with the poignant poetry in his music. Continue reading →
The Sweet Service Award goes to the Langeberg Municipality, and to its staff member Kobus specifically, for repairing a stolen DB board at the Wahnfried theatre in McGregor, within a few hours of the theft being reported to the municipality. The award nomination comes from Wahnfried owner Michael MacKenzie.
Driving back from Plettenberg Bay last month, I stayed over in McGregor, and was introduced to Karoux, the Eat Out Best Bistro 2015 in the Western Cape, by locals Continue reading →
* Good news for our local tourism is the updated forecast of the economic growth of the UK, now at 3,2%, for 2014, the highest growth of all developed countries! The UK was once the most important tourism source for Cape Town.
* five hundred at The Saxon is the only South African restaurant to be included in Huffington Post‘s international list of Best New Chef”s Tables, praised for its six course Tasting Menu, each course prepared by Chef David Higgs paired with Ruinart champagne. Cost is R4900.
* We are delighted to have been included in the 100 Africa Travel Experts on Twitter list.
* Café Chic, Gardens: 5 courses R290. Tel (021) 465-7218
* Richard’s Supper Stage, Sea Point: Glass of sparkling wine, Show, 4-course buffet dinner and a rose. R400 Tel 076 1444 809
* Richard’s Bistro, Sea Point: 3-course lunch with glass of sparkling wine R150. Tel 076 1444 809.
* Five Flies: 3 course menu plus glass of bubbly plus glass of wine R360 Tel (021) 424-4442
* Diemersdal Farm Eatery: 8 tapas dishes plus bottle of Diemersdal Rosé R250. Tel 079 917 2797
* De Grendel Restaurant: 4-courses R550 excluding wine, and R650 with wine pairing. Includes a complimentary bottle of De Grendel Rosé Tel (021) 558-7035
* Pepper Club on the Beach, Camps Bay: Glass of sparkling wine, and 4 course dinner R405. Tel (021) 438-3174
* Sinatra’s, Pepper Club Hotel: Glass of sparkling wine and 3 course dinner plus movie R375. Tel ()21) 812-8888
* Five Flies: glass of sparkling wine, wine with main course and 3 courses R 360. Tel (021) 424-4442
* La Mouette: 4 courses R350/R550 with wine. Tel (021) 433-0856
* Signal, Cape Grace: ‘Feast’ R385. Tel (021) 410-7099
* Bay Hotel, Camps Bay: 4 course dinner and live music R 395. Tel (021) 430-4444
* Bardelli’s: 3 course meal and glass of bubbly R160. Tel (021) 423-1502 and (021) 683-1423.
* 5Rooms, The Alphen hotel: 3 courses R295. Tel (021) 795-6300
* Reuben’s: 5 course dinner R320 Tel (021) 876-3772
* Noble Hill, R45: Picnic basket to share for lunch, with complimentary bottle of Mourvèdre Rosé R295. Free pink strawberry cake for main course lunch ordered. Pairing of pink salmon blinis and Blanc de Blancs R265 for two. Tel (021) 874-3844.
* Grande Provence: 4 courses with extras plus a glass of wine on arrival R495 Tel (021) 876-8600
* The Franschhoek Kitchen, Holden Manz: Glass of Colmant MCC on arrival, 3 courses R 350. Tel (021) 876-2729
* The KItchen at Maison: 4 course dinner R425. Tel (021) 876-2116.
* Waterkloof: 6 courses R 500 without wine pairing and R650 with wine pairing. Tel (021) 858-1491
* Hartenberg: Picnic plus glass of Villiera Brut Rosé and a bottle of wine R 190. Tel (021) 865-2541
* Cuvée, Simonsig: 6 course dinner paired with wines R 385. Tel ()21) 888-4952
* Wild Peacock Emporium: 3 course dinner paired with L’Avenir wines R320. Tel (021) 887-7585
* Wahnfried: classic Merchant Ivory love story ‘A Room with a View’ – cost R0, including a glass of MCC.
Tel 072 601 1616
* Creation: 7-course tapas menu, each paired with a Creation wine R100. 11h30 – 19h00. Tel (028) 212-1107
* Cornutti: 3 courses R320. Tel (044) 533-1277
Chris von Ulmenstein, Whale Cottage Portfolio: www.whalecottage.com Twitter;@WhaleCottage